Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed smog CA for TB Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the coolant in the tb is used to heat the air faster going into the engine. this affects emissions if moved. i think its bull. i pased witth a fast 90 90 2 years ago bro. that guy was probably wanting money to pass you.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

The line is there cause of a possible freezing issue causing the TD blade sticking in the northern states during winter. They are not vacuum lines or affect emissions in anyway.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tillery
The line is there cause of a possible freezing issue causing the TD blade sticking in the northern states during winter. They are not vacuum lines or affect emissions in anyway.
What he said.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rich Z
I passed smog two yrs ago with the same mod. Was this a test only center or your local gas station? No way this would make you fail the smog. Just get some coolant hose and hook it back up for the smog.
Originally Posted by Skidog5150
That's weird. I just passed smog with the TB bypass. Must have been a test only station.
Originally Posted by bearcatt
I passed smog last year with a coolant bypass mod.

+1... I passed with TB bypassed.

At a test only station.

And I had red caps plugging off the ports on the TB.

Twice (2007 and 2009).

Last edited by joecar; 03-18-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1owner4life
One the test it says: vacuum lines are altered. I hope the CA referee takes my side and that I can file a complaint with the CA smog *****. There needs to be some accountability on behalf of the testers. It was a full repair shop. He was looking everywhere; even the wheel well. He must of spent 20 mins snooping around. I lost $59.99 but I found out that referees only charge $8 (cost of paper work) because the state is paying for the test.
That shop is incompetent... they can't tell the difference between vaccum and coolant.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can technically get you for it because it modifies the tb, but thats a little **** if you ask me. I'm gonna need a "hook up" pretty soon myself... my car has the list of no-no's covered, from motor swaps to removed emissions equipment *sigh*.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joecar
That shop is incompetent... they can't tell the difference between vaccum and coolant.
FWIW:

I did this mod to my Yukon a couple years ago or so, and it just failed the SMOG visual inspection at a TEST ONLY center here in northern CA: "...VACUUM hose missing at throttle body". The @#%!-ers barely spoke English, so perhaps they think VACUUM=COOLANT. Who knows.

I can't knock them for taking their job seriously. But I'd be lying if I said I a swift forearm to their nose wouldn't be fun.

I'd rather not post the shop's address on the internet. But if you really want it, PM me.

Here's what I read from another site: If you read the EPA emission rules they say you can't tamper with any part of the syetem as it was certified. Although he's ****, and was stretching it a bit, he's right by the letter of the law. I'm not taking his side, but a friend of mine works for DE DMV. Our rules are quite a bit relaxed compared to what you have to deal with, but he said he can fail almost any car he wants to if he's in the mood or the owner's a jerk.

Last edited by heftylefty58; 08-08-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd argue that if a shop couldn't tell the difference between a coolant line and a vacuum line, they likely weren't competent enough to do state inspections. The throttle body coolant line has nothing to do with emissions, so it wouldn't fall under the "no modification" rule, regardless of how **** they are about enforcing smog rules.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

That tech sounds like a punk. Glad I'll have my license in sept. Sounds frustrating I hate mfers like that. I think its about the thottle freezing on the freeway in cold climates, what an ***. I'd just hook it back up for 10 min and leave that guy a burnout on his face. Throw some porcelin through his window.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 AM
Launching!

it is an emissions device. Having that connected heats the air as it comes into the engine. I forget what pollutant it causes a drop in.

Its a similar pupose as the exhaust heat risers on old carb'ed motors.

It has little (if anything) to do with freezing. By the time the coolant is warm enough to prevent freezing the engine itself will be radiating heat.

It does suck that they failed you for that. and Im guessing its listed as a vacuum line because their computer only excepts certain reasons for failure. and "throttle coolant line" isnt one of them. I hope you can get this straightened out without having to fork over another 60 bucks.

But then again isnt that the point of the whole CARB crap? Kill the hobby and rise money for the state.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is an old thread.

smogging in CA is bullshit sometimes. after trying to keep in line with CARB i gave up.
my car was in stock form with all "readiness" tests in the green (i actually scanned it to make sure) when i took it to get it smogged. i paid they guy and then he tells me it failed as SOME of the "readiness" tests were not in the green. i called his BS and he charged me extra to put the car back on his scanner so i could get a print out... lo and behold, they're ALL in the red as if he had just cleared them... then he said to drive the car around a bit and bring it back for another smog at 50% off - that it should pass... very shady. i got pretty nasty with him, but he seemed numb and used to it. i put up negative reviews on google and more followed as it seems he does it a lot. over the years, i've had similar things happen with other cars and for all i know, they pulled the same ****.

after that, i gave up on smogging it - see mods in sig. it isn't a daily driver, so i'm doing my part to keep the air clean. CARB is a waste of tax dollars IMO.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Do this. It's not worth hassling about when with 10 minutes work you have no issue.
^ Exactly.

The only thing the TB coolant lines would DO would be to help the engine warm up quicker. It's like the warming air ducts on the older engines with the drier hose hooked the the exhaust manifold heat shield.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68chevypu
it is an emissions device. Having that connected heats the air as it comes into the engine. I forget what pollutant it causes a drop in.

Its a similar pupose as the exhaust heat risers on old carb'ed motors.

It has little (if anything) to do with freezing. By the time the coolant is warm enough to prevent freezing the engine itself will be radiating heat.

It does suck that they failed you for that. and Im guessing its listed as a vacuum line because their computer only excepts certain reasons for failure. and "throttle coolant line" isnt one of them. I hope you can get this straightened out without having to fork over another 60 bucks.

But then again isnt that the point of the whole CARB crap? Kill the hobby and rise money for the state.
When you consider the velocity of air flowing through the throttle body, and the length of time it's in the throttle body, having a hot coolant line running through said throttle body is going to do absolutely nothing to change the temperature of the incoming air charge.

The EGR is designed to reduce nitrous oxide emissions, but the throttle body coolant line isn't going to do anything for emissions. If anything, you would want an actual cooler (not hot coolant) going through the throttle body, since combustion chamber temperature is directly proportional to the amount of nitrous oxide formed during the combustion cycle (ergo, injecting spent exhaust gas into the incoming air charge to provide an inert gas that cannot ignite, reducing combustion chamber temps).

A quick Google search (Exhaust Heat Risers Debunked - Myth and Fact) shows that exhaust heat risers were designed to do the same thing as the throttle body coolant line (well, relatively) - to reduce or eliminate carburetor icing during high-humidity, low-temperature weather.

Either way, it's a bullshit system that doesn't actually do anything, other than adding some rubber lines to the engine bay. But, if CA had their way, we'd all be riding Mr. Garrison Wheels and farting butterflies.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What a joke. This is just a sign what every state will have to deal with sooner or later. The communists have arrived and theres one finally in the white house! Just put your bypass back for the time being.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

I have an LS6 manifold on mine and removed the EGR and AIR. when inspection time came I took it to a Ford dealer that I know and it passed, they didn't even know it was supposed to have those things. I'm in Mo. though. but they still do the sniff test and did look for cats.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Element
But, if CA had their way, we'd all be riding Mr. Garrison Wheels and farting butterflies.
that was awesome...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

take your throttle body off, remove the lower in/out for the coolant, grind down the nub on the t/b left by removing the in/out, replace your coolant hoses (expecting you did the t/b bypass like most w/a small pipe and hose clamps) with a single hose and go to another station...