Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 102 cathedral Port and 42lb Bosch Style Injector Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default FAST 102 cathedral Port and 42lb Bosch Style Injector Question

Hey All,

I have a customer that dropped off his car for an SD tune and he got it here with his stock 02 SS injectors, but had a set of Bosch style 42lbers to install. Similar to the Green Top SVO large body injector.

When I went to do the swap, it appears as though the body of the injector hits the top shell of the intake where the upper gasket is housed and tilts the injector away from the intake at a bad angle.

I know I used to have the same issue with the FAST 90 and 92 and there was a small area you could grind out of the top shell to make it fit great, but the new 102 does not seem to have the same possibility.

So I guess the question is, who has a FAST 102mm intake running a large body Bosch style injector and what did you do to make it fit properly.

I may be able to just put the injectors in the rail, shove them in and get the bolts to line up, but I feel this may cause a leak at the bottom o-ring. I am thinking that maybe a set of GM 38lb injectors or Motron 60lbers may be the way to go.

Let me know you thoughts and thanks.

Mike Norris
Old 03-30-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 102 cath port w/ Ford green tops, make sure the upper shell is fully seated to the lower. When mine wasn't exactly seated the injectors wouldn't fit, and make sure to use the fast lower injector o-rings to seal the injectors, they are a lot fatter than the stock o-rings.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:48 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks BTL FED. I do have the proper lower o-rings so that will be good to go. The top is definitely sealed down and without some pretty good grinding I do not see it fitting properly. My rule of thumb is that there should be no interference on the side of the inector causing any deflection which can stress the seal at the o-ring.

I did talk to the guys at Virginia Speed and as soon as I started mentioning what I was seeing, they finished my sentence. They have done a few and said that there is quite a bit of grinding needed to the upper shell to make the large body Bosch injectors fit properly without putting stress on the rail or o-rings, but it can be done. You get into the area where the gasket is supported, but not to the point of failure as there is a lot of material there.

In the end talking with the customer, he thinks that down the road he may go supercharger, so we will go ahead and do a set of 60lb Motrons now and no need to grind anything. Otherwise he said he would have used the GM 38lb injectors.

So, lesson learned and ended up being a non issue.

Mike Norris
Old 03-30-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

did I see somewhere that there are some alum injector extenders so the bigger INJ dont hit the shell????
Old 03-30-2010, 07:23 PM
FormerVendor

I have seen the spacers, but they can mess with the spray pattern causing puddling. Just a cheap fix, not a proper one.

Mike Norris

Quick Reply: FAST 102 cathedral Port and 42lb Bosch Style Injector Question