Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which catback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which catback?

I finally decided that I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a full exhaust system. I'm going to get ARH headers and the catted y. I just don't know which catback I want. I want something fairly quiet so i can still have a normal conversation and hear the radio at a sane level but loud WOT. I don't want any drone or rasp at all. I think I have it narrowed down to Magnaflow, Hooker, or Borla. If anyone could post a sound clip of their setup, I'd really appreciate it (in car would be good too). And yes, I've already checked out ls1sounds but 99% of those cars have an ORY and a cam. I want to hear what it sounds like with a catted Y and stock internals. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GMMG or magnaflow.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I think I might be leaning towards magnaflow but still haven't decided. I really need to hear some good sound clips.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

If you want quiet, your only real options are Magnaflow, or an SLP dual dual or powerflo, and perhaps the hooker.

Here is mine, ARH, cats, dual dual:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc9AwGZiWc0
There are inside and outside vids if you look at mine, with stock internals. There are also vids of my cammed LS3 with the same exhaust so read the details.

I think you should stick to an SLP dual dual or powerflo or the magnaflow...
Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnaflow flows great and has a mean sounds to it. Gets my vote.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Teching In

jmilz28, that's pretty much the sound I was looking for. Where did you buy it from? And is it stainless steel?

Now does anyone have a clip with magnaflow so I can compare it? I'm open to any other suggestions too.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by camarokev
jmilz28, that's pretty much the sound I was looking for. Where did you buy it from? And is it stainless steel?

Now does anyone have a clip with magnaflow so I can compare it? I'm open to any other suggestions too.
The SLP dual dual is no longer made. You'll have to search for one locally or here on the boards. The Powerflo is the "new improved" version available from slponline, and many other sponsors. From what I can tell, it's only a tiny bit louder than the dual dual. They are both stainless.

Good luck finding a clip of the magnaflow with that exact setup, but there are a handful out there. I love the magnaflow sound better than any. I hate the cannon tips and their quad tips are pricey. If you like mine, you'll like the magnaflow sound, I just couldn't find something tip/price-wise where I wanted it.

Consider the bassani true duals, lmperformance has the 2.5" version for about the same price as the quad tip magnaflow and slp powerflo. Haven't found it anywhere else. That is what I am going with on the next round of mods.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best all around catback in my choice is the magnaflow!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hooker gets my vote.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have LT's, ORY, and Magnaflow on my car, stock internals. The car is extremely quiet (almost too quiet) at idle, but sounds good when you get on it. I can try to make some sound clips if you want, but I have an ORY so that wouldnt help you much.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had LT's, ORY, and Magnaflow when I first got my car. Sounded good at idle, quiet, but good little rumble and was throaty and deep driving around, then SCREAMED at WOT. I could post it up, but I mean, I have an ORY, so it's a little louder than it would be w/ cats.

I say if you want quiet at idle and driving around town w/ a nice roar and loud at WOT, Magnaflow definitely gets my vote.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies everyone! Seems like magnaflow is the popular choice.

udienow and egott_91, thanks for the offer but I'd really like to hear it with the cats.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmilz28
If you want quiet, your only real options are Magnaflow, or an SLP dual dual or powerflo, and perhaps the hooker.

Here is mine, ARH, cats, dual dual:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc9AwGZiWc0
There are inside and outside vids if you look at mine, with stock internals. There are also vids of my cammed LS3 with the same exhaust so read the details.

I think you should stick to an SLP dual dual or powerflo or the magnaflow...
Wow that sounds good... love how quiet it is. Trade me for my magnaflow with quad tips? LOL. Thanks for sharing... now I'm tempted to hunt for a dual dual. Wonder how much the cats are helping quiet you down... that's what my setup is missing and it's definitely not as quiet as that. Damn this predicament. Haha. Car sounds great! To the OP... good luck man!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Price limit? I imagine the Corsa would do the trick as well....

Longtubes, cats, GMMG would be awesome.

I imagine longtubes, cats, and any loudmouth may be too loud...if you want stock manifolds and cats then do the loudmouth 2!! So awesome, love mine.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

www.Ls1sounds.com is good place to look for sound clips.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

your choices are all good ones between borla, magnaflow, and hooker. I have a 230 size cam, longtubes, ory and magnaflow and it sounds great but its still quiet. not very intimidating at all. I am surprised how many people say there car is loud with magnaflow. It is a good quality. Honestly ive been even thinking of ditching my magnaflow for something a bit more louder. I was considering borla or even GMMG. Between those 3 i would do borla. It is a stainless steel system, and has the plates to make it louder if need be.

The hooker also is somewhat on the quiet side, but i think it has a more deep rumble, and muscular car sound than magnaflow. Magnaflow i think has a smooth, crisp sound to it. But all are great choices.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Timmy Jones, I'm not a big fan of Corsa. I am wanting something a little on the cheaper side. Although, I know Borla isn't that cheap.

Sicko, I've already looked at ls1sounds.

TXZ28LS1, thanks for the good input. GMMG maybe too loud and definitely too expensive.

Thanks for all the input! Keep the clips and advice coming!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
your choices are all good ones between borla, magnaflow, and hooker. I have a 230 size cam, longtubes, ory and magnaflow and it sounds great but its still quiet. not very intimidating at all. I am surprised how many people say there car is loud with magnaflow. It is a good quality. Honestly ive been even thinking of ditching my magnaflow for something a bit more louder. I was considering borla or even GMMG. Between those 3 i would do borla. It is a stainless steel system, and has the plates to make it louder if need be.

The hooker also is somewhat on the quiet side, but i think it has a more deep rumble, and muscular car sound than magnaflow. Magnaflow i think has a smooth, crisp sound to it. But all are great choices.
I dont think magnaflow is overly quiet. Maybe compared to LM, but it sounds similiar to my friends corsa, and my other friends borla. The only one that really stands out is LM imo.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^ thats why i kinda liked LM. it might not be the best sounding, but it definitely had its own unique sound. most of these catbacks for the most part sound the same when you listen to clips either throaty or somewhat raspy.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

I just ditched my LM1 for a magnaflow catback. It is definitely quiet. I have LT's and an ORY and it sounds so quiet I can actually hear the engine over the exhaust when I hammer it. You could never do that with a loudmouth, heh.

I really want a cutout now for when I want to be loud and obnoxious, because the magnaflow will never be "loud".

Magnaflow has a great product too. The parts were all in great shape, great bends, high quality clamps and whatnot, great fitment. The 3.5" slash tips arent the greatest (though they are slightly better than the SLP slash tips) but the quad tips are literally $200 more...kinda hard to justify.