Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS cooler for my camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yeah Im not thinking the PS coolers are really needed items on these cars. To bypass, would you just hook the two lines coming off the cooler together?
you can do that, or just get a line for the Z28's along with the upper radiator hose for the same car...then just bleed the PS system. as long as you do this when the car is stone cold, you wont have to bleed the cooling system as there wont be any fluid in the upper hose.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Dont waste your money replacing it, just go to the parts house & buy the solid 1-piece hose. they will have both parts listed in their computer.

And yes, it only came on certain models, not all LS1 cars.
I'm not going to replace it...they're going to bypass the factory unit.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what do you guys mean by bleed the PS system?
do you mean replace the old PS fluid that may have fallen out with new stuff and then turn the wheels side to side to get any possible "bubbles" out?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoyle
what do you guys mean by bleed the PS system?
do you mean replace the old PS fluid that may have fallen out with new stuff and then turn the wheels side to side to get any possible "bubbles" out?
yep. about 40 times lock to lock should do it.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the "TURN ONE" power steering pumps any better than the stock ones?

Also, I would like to see more coolers that everyone is using and putting on.

I've still got the stocker, and as far as I know, it hasn't started leaking or anything. However I have had problems with my power steering. Had to replace two pumps, and my rack is now leaking
Old 04-25-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

^ The turn one PS Pumps have a better ratio, IIRC. The stock PS pump is fine for the average joe daily driving his F-Body, but when you ask any kind of performance, or twisties from it, it cooks itself... Once you start doing some constant turning at higher RPM's the fluid boils and it WILL boil. Just ask me how I know. I've been through this ordeal MANY times, to include boiling fresh full synthetic oil.

The T1 pump won't cook itself. If someone could just elaborate on what exactly the difference is.

The aftermarket cooler is placed in line returning to the reservoir. Between the reservoir and the rack, IIRC.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty sure the turn one pump flows 40% less fluid than stock. The stock pump flows so much in order to achieve a very light and consistent steering feel all the way from idle to redline. The turn one will be a little harder to turn at low rpm, but at high rpm autox type driving, your coolant isn't going to get as hot, If i understand correctly. If you can't tell, I'm having some steering issues myself... I was considering the turn one pump, but can't justify the cash right now. I'm working on getting the car to the point where it will handle good enough to boil PS fluid first. I did, however, pick up a billet 8 spoke wheel from Mike at Wazee's Pulleys. Great guy to deal with, he helped me out and overnighted the thing to me on a Friday afternoon. Awesome quality, fit, finish on the pulley. I am a machinist by trade so you know my eyes ain't crooked.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Teching In

if not all cars came with it, does anyone know the part # for the factory return line used in a non-cooled application? i am trying to avoid paying 110$ for a return line, i figure i will take the cooler out and run a stock return line...
Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds as if several people have had the same issue as I am having. What is the best way to flush all of the PS fluid out of my cooling system?
Thanks,
Eric

Quick Reply: PS cooler for my camaro ss