Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought ls6 intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Titanws6
Yeah, this is the best method, that way you will not have to disconnect the fuel system and worry about dealing with the injectors. I used a small chisel and hammer to trim the tabs, there are other ways as well to trim these off, dremel, chisel, etc.

You'll need a cap plate for the EGR for now until you install some LT's. I know there are a few vendors who sell them or you can make something to cover the hole on the stock exhaust manifold. Most likely you will throw an SES, you'll just need to have that turned off via a tuner.

On install, you need some tape or cloths pins to hold up the back 4 screws of the manifold when removing. Also be careful about the connector in the back, you don't wanna break it. There are tons of threads on this install on here, do a search (i'm sure you probably already have) and you'll find step by step directions. Take your time with cause your SOL if you break the connector in the back, you'll need to buy a new one.
Thanks man, you have been a great help. I was planning on using the chisel also because that looks like the best way.. Also do I have to delete the AIR to? or just the egr hose that goes from the exhaust manifold to the intake? And what do I need to do so I don't break that conector in the back?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

ws6store.com sells the egr/air delete plates...just search on their site, AIR or EGR.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys,

Moving up in injector size doesnt do squat for power unless your lean because your current injector cant simply provide enough fuel.

And a GM 28 lb injector is easily capable of 450 RWHP with the right tune and a 12.8 - 13.0 A/F ratio.

I purposely pushed my measely 2000 vintage 22 lbers to 440 RWHP till I was finally out of fuel showing a 110% duty cycle (which is all theoretical numbers anyway).

If you use the new injectors....A....it wont make a stitch more power, and B....it would require a re-tune to calibrate the larger injector or you would lose power from the engine running on the rich side.

Install the intake with the old injectors and expect to feel minimal if any gains from the seat of your pants....you might see 5 RWHP at the wheels which is hard to feel unless you really know the car well. You could just about gain or lose that from a ten degree change in ambient air temps.

-Tony
Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Teching In

make sure to lift the hose in the back of the intake that connects to the brake booster so you dont break the oil switch. i broke mine. so be careful feel for it first so you know wat you got to watch out for
Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Guys,

Moving up in injector size doesnt do squat for power unless your lean because your current injector cant simply provide enough fuel.

And a GM 28 lb injector is easily capable of 450 RWHP with the right tune and a 12.8 - 13.0 A/F ratio.

I purposely pushed my measely 2000 vintage 22 lbers to 440 RWHP till I was finally out of fuel showing a 110% duty cycle (which is all theoretical numbers anyway).

If you use the new injectors....A....it wont make a stitch more power, and B....it would require a re-tune to calibrate the larger injector or you would lose power from the engine running on the rich side.

Install the intake with the old injectors and expect to feel minimal if any gains from the seat of your pants....you might see 5 RWHP at the wheels which is hard to feel unless you really know the car well. You could just about gain or lose that from a ten degree change in ambient air temps.

-Tony
5rwhp? I have seen like 16-20 hp on dyno sheets from the ls6 swap
Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by z99ls1
5rwhp? I have seen like 16-20 hp on dyno sheets from the ls6 swap
From an intake swap and gains from tweaking the tune maybe....

You dont even see those kinds of gains when a much higher flowing out of the box FAST is bolted on....and with stock heads the gains from an intake swap are even less.

If your thinking that your going to see that big a difference your in for a disappointment.

Do a search....guys swapping the LS6 intakes don't pick up 15 - 20 HP.....that would mean a FAST swap would be good for close to 30 without porting and 45 with porting because guys do routinely see 10-15 over an LS6 (unported) and usually 20-25 ported assuming good heads are on the engine (over an LS6 intake baseline).

A cleaned up LS6 (ported) might be worth 7-10....

Dyno your results before and after....it would be an interesting test and IMO a sobering one unless you knock your expectations down a notch or three.

-Tony
Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Restricted User

I went back and looked at the dyno. A stock 99 ls1 averaged 8rwhp and 6rwtq after the intake swap. type in ls6 intake before and after dyno
Old 04-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Restricted User

Thats the dyno.. I just care what it gets me on the track. Im going for 12.9's lol
Old 04-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my experience from what IIRC, my best run was 12.2 @ 110 w/ LS6 IM/28 lb inj, not tuned and also dynoed 317.x rwhp/316 rwtq w/ stalled auto, full exhaust, lid, free mods, 3.42 rear and MT ET streets.

Prior to that, sans LS6 intake/28lb, my car would run consistantly 12.6s-12.8s @ 107. Take it FWIW.

And yes the weather/temp was relatively close as they were both in the fall season, cold and windy.

For the seat of the pants comment, I certainly felt it not big but I felt it specially on the top end and no it wasn't placebo effect because it showed at the track.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joecar
Where'd you buy from, what part # is it (the whole assembly)...?
x2...
Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blak_ls1
x2...
Those sales I always see on ebay. Just check for them.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bene
This is my experience from what IIRC, my best run was 12.2 @ 110 w/ LS6 IM/28 lb inj, not tuned and also dynoed 317.x rwhp/316 rwtq w/ stalled auto, full exhaust, lid, free mods, 3.42 rear and MT ET streets.

Prior to that, sans LS6 intake/28lb, my car would run consistantly 12.6s-12.8s @ 107. Take it FWIW.

And yes the weather/temp was relatively close as they were both in the fall season, cold and windy.

For the seat of the pants comment, I certainly felt it not big but I felt it specially on the top end and no it wasn't placebo effect because it showed at the track.
Thanks man, I appreciate the before and after track comparison, I hope I can hit 12's with mods in sig. I was bone stock when I ran the 13.5 with little 245 no name street tires. Of course my 60 wasnt bad for the tires I had
Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Do you plan to due anything to the calibration to compensate for the fact that you're not flowing EGR anymore?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by vtirocz
Do you plan to due anything to the calibration to compensate for the fact that you're not flowing EGR anymore?
Yep Im getting it tuned before I even put the new intake on or egr off. I will be getting it tuned by pcmforless. They do great work I have gotten a cuple tunes from them before and have always had great results. With the tune im also getting all the little perfromance crap like the better shifts and higher rpm's and all that good stuff. The tuned my old hot camed 93 lt1 perfect
Old 04-23-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

i have yet to install my ls6 intake....lol...I'm saving all my parts for one big build...do it all at once...I have heads/springs, ls2 timing chain, egr block off plates, ls6 intake...I still need to buy my cam, oil pump, injectors, gaskets/bolts.

my buddy will tune
Old 04-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

It's not just a good idea to tune for the different injectors....It is a must. You will only be hurting performance if you put in bigger injectors and don't tune for them.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
i have yet to install my ls6 intake....lol...I'm saving all my parts for one big build...do it all at once...I have heads/springs, ls2 timing chain, egr block off plates, ls6 intake...I still need to buy my cam, oil pump, injectors, gaskets/bolts.

my buddy will tune
Im getting brand new 28lb injectors do you wanna buy them? Or are you needing bigger than 28lb injectors?
Old 04-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 99-2door
It's not just a good idea to tune for the different injectors....It is a must. You will only be hurting performance if you put in bigger injectors and don't tune for them.
This is true. But let's restart this entire discussion.

First of all, welcome to the board ... it's crazy to see somebody from Plains, KS on here. I've driven through many times on hwy. 54 on the way back and forth to home in CA.

Secondly, I think that Tony is being a little cynical here. Sure, the LS6 intake isn't going to give you gobs of power. I saw an average improvement of .05 at the track ... not dramatic, but indicative of an increase in horsepower. But where it really shines is throughout the rev band ... driveability is improved everywhere, as the flow characteristics of this intake are just all-around better suited to the motor than the standard LS1 intake.

28lb. injectors won't give you anything - except a little room to grow. I installed a set because my 26ers were getting above the standard 80% flow rate factor.

I whacked off the ribs on the bottom with a hammer and chisel; it was fun doing it, and it works perfectly.

I think you'll be happy with the swap - as I was and so many others have. Install and enjoy.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RevGTO
This is true. But let's restart this entire discussion.

First of all, welcome to the board ... it's crazy to see somebody from Plains, KS on here. I've driven through many times on hwy. 54 on the way back and forth to home in CA.

Secondly, I think that Tony is being a little cynical here. Sure, the LS6 intake isn't going to give you gobs of power. I saw an average improvement of .05 at the track ... not dramatic, but indicative of an increase in horsepower. But where it really shines is throughout the rev band ... driveability is improved everywhere, as the flow characteristics of this intake are just all-around better suited to the motor than the standard LS1 intake.

28lb. injectors won't give you anything - except a little room to grow. I installed a set because my 26ers were getting above the standard 80% flow rate factor.

I whacked off the ribs on the bottom with a hammer and chisel; it was fun doing it, and it works perfectly.

I think you'll be happy with the swap - as I was and so many others have. Install and enjoy.
Thats cool I have been to Wichita many many times also. I don't plan on using the 28 injectors anymore and im just going to reuse the fuel rail and all. Only .05 gain at the track, that isn't near what I was hoping for honestly I was wanting a tenth of a sec or more lol. What drag strip do you go to? I go to Great Bend, wich is only about an hour and a half out of Wichita.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

I go to KID here in Wichita ... sometimes MAD in Ark City. Some guys around here have been up to Great Bend. I've never been but the elevation is even higher there ... poorer DA's and slower times. But it's not Denver ...