Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with pacesetter headers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 02:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those with pacesetter headers.

Those of you that have Pacesetter headers what y-pipe are you guys running? If you have the Pacesetter y did you have any problems with it?
Old 01-08-2004, 03:31 AM
Launching!

I have the Pacesetter ORY and it bangs on hard acceleration.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

I have my Pace Setting headers installed but the Y pipe is so close to rubbing on the drivers side I have to do something to modify it. Why Pace Setter didn't make the header collector centerline just a 1/2-1" lower I don't know. Wouldn't even need the crushed pipe portion if they had done it right. I understand ground clearance is an issue but it's got to fit too.

I emailed them two days ago for a fix but so far nothing.

I need a drivers side header that has a collector 1" lower to the ground!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i really have no problems with my pacesetter headers or ORY...they dont bang or anything.

lata
Bill
Old 01-08-2004, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foff667
i really have no problems with my pacesetter headers or ORY...they dont bang or anything.

lata
Bill
Have any pics of your Y pipe and how it clears? Mine is going to be no more than 1/4" clearance unless I have it modified. In fact I already had to take both pipes that go on the collectors to the muffler shop to have the swaged up so they would go on the collector. Apparently the plating built up. I have the coated headers.

Maybe you had yours installed by a muffler shop. This is not a do it yourself set of headers.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

not any from the inside to see clearance...i might be able to take a pic from the pass side over to the drivers side of the car but doubt the pic would come out very good...next time i have it up on ramps ill try and remember to take a pic for u larry. and check out my pics in my pacesetter install in my sig i did the install by myself.

lata
Bill
Old 01-08-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

not any from the inside to see clearance...i might be able to take a pic from the pass side over to the drivers side of the car but doubt the pic would come out very good...next time i have it up on ramps ill try and remember to take a pic for u larry. and check out my pics in my pacesetter install in my sig i did the install by myself.

lata
Bill
Can you measure the clearance from the top of the collector to the car and give me that dimension. My collector is 3/4" from the car floorboard. Dividers work well to get this dimension. That leaves almost no room for the Y pipe to clear the cross member even with the crush. Here's a pic that shows how close the header is to the car.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/colclear.jpg

If the headers were 3/4" longer (collector center line 3/4" lower) it would probably be fine. I don't think that would compromise ground clearance that much.

Last edited by Larry; 01-08-2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

damn, this is disturbing considering I'm putting mine on this weekend. I wanted to go with the QTP dual electric cutout Y, but ended up going with the Pacesetter ORY. Does it resonate at all by any chance?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i totally agree with you they couldve lowered it a bit more for more clearance, but what do you expect for the price really? I'll see what i can do about pics but it'll be a while till i work on it again with temps in the 20's now...and i doubt I'll have pics as good as that one since the ypipe is pretty much on there for good ill probably only get shots from the side of it if anything...i will say this i had to have a friend use a large 3ft pry bar to pry the header down a bit so i could slide on the ypipe...so for sure its closer than it should be, but like ive stated i dont have any problems with it and havent had to put anything between it and the body of the car so take it FWIW

lata
Bill
Old 01-08-2004, 08:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by pewter99SS
damn, this is disturbing considering I'm putting mine on this weekend. I wanted to go with the QTP dual electric cutout Y, but ended up going with the Pacesetter ORY. Does it resonate at all by any chance?
dude dont worry about it...i did the entire install by myself with no help till i got to the ypipe and just needed an extra hand to pry down the driverside header...other than that it was really a cake walk...check out my install notes in my sig and do it its really NBD.

lata
Bill
Old 01-08-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

dude dont worry about it...i did the entire install by myself with no help till i got to the ypipe and just needed an extra hand to pry down the driverside header...other than that it was really a cake walk...check out my install notes in my sig and do it its really NBD.

lata
Bill
I guess that's my point. You shouldn't have to use a pry bar on these headers. If the collector was just 3/4" lower you wouldn't need to modify or pry. It wouldn't add but penny's in cost for Pace Setter to make it slightly longer.

Pry bar might not be too good on those small header bolts. Most of the load would go on the end bolt. Maybe that's what I'll have to do though.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

penny's worth of extra material but it would have to be completely redesigned...its already got other fitment issues with the Kmemeber now you want to add 1/2 in or more to the middle of those tubes to add clearance underneith...everyone buys pacesetters for their price...now the price is going up for hte same product and your talking about redesigning one of the two headers for 1/2in worth of clearance and possibly having to redesign their entire ypipe...it wont happen...if its too much work to pry down dont buy them and spend 800 on some kooks and have other install problems...every header has their issues...theres always someone that will come up with something new to complain about...with different tolerances in different cars theres always gonna be problems.

lata
Bill
Old 01-08-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not worried about the install, I've done a few of em. It just bothers me that it bangs on the underside. My old Mac Y did that and I hated it. As long as it doesn't resonate like the Mac's I guess I won't mind too much though,
Old 01-08-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

penny's worth of extra material but it would have to be completely redesigned...its already got other fitment issues with the Kmemeber now you want to add 1/2 in or more to the middle of those tubes to add clearance underneith...everyone buys pacesetters for their price...now the price is going up for hte same product and your talking about redesigning one of the two headers for 1/2in worth of clearance and possibly having to redesign their entire ypipe...it wont happen...if its too much work to pry down dont buy them and spend 800 on some kooks and have other install problems...every header has their issues...theres always someone that will come up with something new to complain about...with different tolerances in different cars theres always gonna be problems.

lata
Bill
So what if it has to be redesigned. If it had been designed right the first time a redesign wouldn't be needed. It's not our fault they were designed wrong in the first time.

How would dropping the collector center line 3/4" (or 1/2") have anything to do with the K member?

Regardless of what you pay for something it should work! Over $300 for a set of headers is cheap? Don't think so! Maybe cheap compared to other over priced headers for our cars.

"if its too much work to pry down dont buy them and spend 800 on some kooks" I think you miss the point Bill...
Old 01-08-2004, 10:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

no im not missing the point its a tight fit thats the point...and when your talking about different tolerances your gonna have issues...slp's hang too low, hookers have the o2 bungs on the outside instead of in, pacesetters sit to high and the list goes on...I dont understand why people pick on pacesetters when every other header out there has issues and no one can say that a specific header has never had an issue of any sort. These are aftermarket companies working on high but limited budgets...they dont have 10 or 20 fbodies at hand to do installs on to make sure every car is gonna have a perfect fit...ok maybe they dropped the ball a bit but compared to whats out there you cant beat them.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Only problem with mine is that I still have to grind down the k-member. My car is lowered quite a bit so the ground clearance they made helped me out a lot to have LT headers. The only ones I've seen tuck up as good are FLP, but I don't want to drop 1200 for headers.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

no im not missing the point its a tight fit thats the point...and when your talking about different tolerances your gonna have issues...slp's hang too low, hookers have the o2 bungs on the outside instead of in, pacesetters sit to high and the list goes on...I dont understand why people pick on pacesetters when every other header out there has issues and no one can say that a specific header has never had an issue of any sort. These are aftermarket companies working on high but limited budgets...they dont have 10 or 20 fbodies at hand to do installs on to make sure every car is gonna have a perfect fit...ok maybe they dropped the ball a bit but compared to whats out there you cant beat them.
Hope you didn't miss the point of how bad the collector is made. Take a look at what you have for a collector if you install it without modifying it.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/pacecoll.jpg
This is why "people pick on Pace Setters"

Here's a thread I posted showing what I did: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...101#post965101

As well as they did on the headers you would think they could do better on the Y pipe!

Pace Setter still needs to lengthen the drivers side header to lower the collector centerline if all are made the way mine was made. This would eliminate a lot of our close fit problems.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yah check out my collector pic yours is horrible and probably had the "new guy" workin on it mine was much better sorry to see how yours was i understand what your saying now...i guess maybe i was lucky?
Attached Thumbnails Those with pacesetter headers.-dscf0045.jpg  

Last edited by foff667; 01-12-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

yah check out my collector pic yours is horrible and probably had the "new guy" workin on it mine was much better sorry to see how yours was i understand what your saying now...i guess maybe i was lucky?
That's what mine looks like from the passenger side. What I am showing you is from the drivers side. Here's from my passenger side.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/pacepass.jpg

Don't break your chair! You might crack the wall too! LOL!