Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune After Headers Question

Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tune After Headers Question

How long can i go after installing headers and ORY before i get a tune? would it harm the O2 sensors? i know my MPGs will go to **** but oh well
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

How long are you planning on going without one? How many miles? Are you tight on money or just putting it off?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard some guys do it for a LONG time. I am driving on mine un-tuned right now after a header install. I hope I can afford to get it tuned this month, but cash is tight.

My brother has been driving his 93 LT1 with full exhaust and CAI for years. On speed density
Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Teching In

There is a guy in the tuning section that will do it for 50 dollars.If you can not afford that then you should quit modding.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which guy? frost is 125.....
Old 04-30-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
How long are you planning on going without one? How many miles? Are you tight on money or just putting it off?
im gonna go until i have a chance to.
MONEY IS NOT TIGHT im not a cheap *** even though i did get my headers, ORY, gaskets, O2 extensions and some SFC's for 180 haha
probably gonna be maybe 2 weeks. im planning 2 days to do it. the first day would be removing everything, AIR, EGR, stuff like that. and then the second day would be putting them on
i just have 3 open days to do it for a while

and im going to EFIAlchemy for the tune. its like right down the road from me
Old 04-30-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

are you planning more mods? if not just get it tuned when you can as long as its driveable.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-extended.html
Old 04-30-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Couple weeks driving it around should be fine. I wouldn't drive it over a couple months if its a daily driver but that is merely personal preference.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

I installed a P/P TB, LS6 intake and LT's w/ a open ORY all in 1 weekend and have been driving untuned for a month now...I'm getting about the same MPG as I was before...it's not quite as good but not nearly as bad as my TBSS...lol...

as far as driveability is concerned....it could definately use a tune to be at its full potential but it still drives fine. I wouldn't worry about a tune until you can afford it. especially if you plan on more mods in the future...in that case i would just wait until after your done modding for a while and then get a tune. just my .02
Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed LTs and an aftermarket Y-pipe over a year ago. Just a couple weeks ago I got my Mail-Order-Tune from Frost. I probably only drove the car a half a dozen times between now and then.

My reason for waiting was to add an LS6 Intake and remove my EGR, which I accomplished late last fall.

I see you have a 99 T/A, which means you most likely, still have an LS1 Intake. If you plan to upgrade in the near future, I would wait to get your tune until after you have the new intake installed. Otherwise you'll need to have the PCM re-tuned in order to optimize performance.

Good luck, man.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Which guy? frost is 125.....
And in my opinion,(Frost) was worth every penny! I did all my mods(lt's, ory, ptb, catback and tune) all at the same time so i didnt 'feel' what mods netted me the most gains. All i can tell you that is a totally different animal now, almost scary at full throttle, and i love it!! I highly recommend a tune to anyone with the headers and other bolt ons. You wont regret it. For the cost of a couple tanks of gas and a little downtime, just do it, youll quickly forget the money you spent doing it. my .02
Old 05-01-2010, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by razer900
And in my opinion,(Frost) was worth every penny! I did all my mods(lt's, ory, ptb, catback and tune) all at the same time so i didnt 'feel' what mods netted me the most gains. All i can tell you that is a totally different animal now, almost scary at full throttle, and i love it!! I highly recommend a tune to anyone with the headers and other bolt ons. You wont regret it. For the cost of a couple tanks of gas and a little downtime, just do it, youll quickly forget the money you spent doing it. my .02
x2 couldn't agree more the drive home from east coast superchargers was awesome. It finally felt like the whole package was tied together.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I drove mine for several months after headers, but mine is not a daily driver. Only reason I put it off was b/c there was a cam and intake going on it. O2 sensors are going to take a sh** anyway weather the car is tuned or not. The bungs on my headers are too far back and it fries them. I think I have read on here that when you do get it tuned, you can ask them about tuning it for open loop and take the O2's out of the equation all together.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

i just cant mail off my ecu to get tuned b/c i cant afford to not have a car. i go to school tuesday and thursday and work thursday-sunday.
i have another question. what would the quietest muffer to fit directly into my loudmouth system? i was thinking a magnaflow 5x8 if it fit
Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

My car is my weekend toy. I will be getting it tuned next week. I have longtubes, hi-flow cats, cold air (March 2009) and pnp throttle body (March 2010). The car has never been tuned. It drives great and has never had any problems. Get's great mileage on the highway. Hope a tune will improve power but the stock tune seems fine.

PS I will be getting it tuned in a month's time, family responsibilities before the car.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

I went from the 8.70s @ 86-87 mph bone stock down to the 8.20s @ 89-90 mph with headers and full open single exhaust (no mufflers). I still have my shitty LS1 intake. And yes that is with the stock 1998 tune. I drive about 2,000 miles a month so you should be fine. Of course I could always squeeze that extra 5 hp from a custom bolt-on tune. But I wouldn't worry about melting anything going from stock to full bolt-ons without a tune.

Search this Thread