Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

160 thermo problems/questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 160 thermo problems/questions

hey guys i just went to auto zone and bought a 160 degree thermo and put it in the car ive done a radiator flush before so i worked out all the air bubbles...... i believe.....but when i put everyting back together the thermo in the car reads just under 210 not a huge diff fom where stock thermo was... is this right? or should the needle be lower like on the line between 100 and 210? any advice or help would be highly appreciated thanx!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was confused when I put mine on too, but I was told it wont change the reading on your gauge, the engine will still run around 210 but it will just kick on the fans at a lower temp.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

oh ok.... i was about to say... dont tell me i just wasted all this money for nothing!!!! lol....i did notice that my fans didnt kick in as much with the new thermo cause after i had her tuned with the stock thermo the fans were on all the time cause they tuned it as if i had a 160 thermo... so now that i actually have the 160 in there the fans dont come on everytime i drive somewhere.... ill be interested to see what other people might have to say....
Old 05-09-2010, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

The thermostat won't affect the fans since they're ruled by the PCM. It'll just create a slower ramp to your running temp, since you're still putting the same amount of heat into the same amount of water. If your fans are programmed to come on at lower temps, you might lower your running temp depending on how hard your're driving it. Not sure.

BTW, the stock gauge is a poor indicator in the 190-220 range.

BobP
Old 05-09-2010, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

T-stat will not change the fan one bit except for you will prolly not hear them ever turn on becuase your car is running cooler. 98 Fbodys where the only year to get a working temp gauge. 99-02 is just a dummy gauge.Pretty much a idiot light in gauge form. It doesn't tell you anything at all. If your car is warmed up (don't know the exact temp) it will read right by the 210 mark. You guys should take a look through the sticky to find the changes through the years of ls1 Fbodys.