Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Y pipe with cats to go with pacesetter Longtubes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Y pipe with cats to go with pacesetter Longtubes?

Hey guys, I've got a quick question. What Y pipe can I use with the Pacesetter Longtubes? I know pacesetter has one, but I need a Y pipe with cats. What is a good catted Y pipe, that won't cost a lot of money? Thanks a lot for the help guys!!!
Old 01-10-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why dont u use the pacesetter one and get some high flow cats welded in?
Old 01-10-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking about that as well, but how much do you think that would cost? Any idea? What are some good high flow cats, and where can I find them? Also, I have heard some banging issues with the pacestter Y pipe, what is with that? Anyways, any help you can give me will be great! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

only issue i had was the torque arm was hitting the ypipe. honestly its not a big deal or anything that will take a while to fix. and if it hits u can just have it bent. random tech cats i think are high flowing and good. wouldnt know only cats i had were stock and i junked them. shouldnt cost much, i mean hell u can cut the pipe yourself and clamp them in there. go to any sponsors and they should have the cats in teh exhasut section. price 2 of those and the pacestter y and see how that compairs to other catted ypipes. ill check also and see what i can come up with
Old 01-10-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

i see u have gmmg, im thinkin about gettin that.....how is it? what set up do u have right now?
Old 01-10-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think it possible to physically fit cats in the pacesetter y-pipe.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive never done it or heard of it but figued anythign could be done....why do u say that, not saying your wrong but im just wondering what your thinking
Old 01-10-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Mike, thanks for the help! As for the GMMG, I have no regrets! It took me about a year to finally part with the money to buy it, but it was no doubt everything I was looking for in a catback. Right now I have stock manifolds/cats/y pipe and GMMG. As far as install and quality, it was top notch. Fit right in the existing hangers and everything perfectly. It sounds pretty damn good for almost everything else stock. This summer I'm hoping to mate it with some Pacesetter coated longtubes and a GM Hotcam. The only issue is finding a catted y pipe for a decent price. Anyways, you won't regret the GMMG. The only thing that would sound as good in my opinion is true duals, but I haven't heard a dual setup I've liked over mine yet. If you have anymore questions about it, just let me know, or feel free to pm me anytime. Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks man, yeah i wanna get it pretty bad, maybe next month....pacesetters and no cats should sound mean with GMMG i think
Old 01-10-2004, 10:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
ive never done it or heard of it but figued anythign could be done....why do u say that, not saying your wrong but im just wondering what your thinking
well where would you put the drivers side cat? You really cant put it in either of those crush zones for a couple of reasons 1. it would be larger than that tubing meaning it might touch the body of the car 2. it would be larger than the existing tubing making it harder to mat up to the existing ypipe which would be more work than its worth maybe?...passenger side wouldnt be too bad though id assume.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

When you see the pacesetter y-pipe for yourself you'll understand
Old 01-11-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

i have the pacesetter ypipe. but i was talking about modifying it a little bit. i knwo that crush zone wouldnt work out. i bet the passenger side would but if you get the pipe bent with a little bit of new pipe it might work. it might be cheaper might be more. hell i dont knwo jus trying to give him some ideas....
Old 01-12-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

i have the pacesetter ypipe. but i was talking about modifying it a little bit. i knwo that crush zone wouldnt work out. i bet the passenger side would but if you get the pipe bent with a little bit of new pipe it might work. it might be cheaper might be more. hell i dont knwo jus trying to give him some ideas....
I know what your say'in. I have the y-pipe in front of me and I don't see it happening.