Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Oil Pressure Sending Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Oil Pressure Sending Unit?

I have done tons of searching a keep coming up with mixed responses.

Here's my deal, I bought a long block and the owner kept the Oil pressure sending unit. Motor is 99 ls1, drive by cable out of 99 trans am.

I will be running an Open Loop, Speed Density tune, no MAF, no o2's, and my question is, can I plug the factory Oil Sending Unit hole, or just install an aftermarket gauge?

Some people tell me that yes, I do not need it as it only connects to the dash for the oil gauge.

Others tell me that I need one in order for the motor to run, but this doesn't make sense because I will be running an Open loop tune where the sensors will basically not be used.

Can anyone share an experience or give me some insight?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy one and install it

This way if you lose oil pressure you can see it and turn off the engine before severe damage takes place. It's there for a reason- not because you might not need it to tune the car
Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmsklmn
I have done tons of searching a keep coming up with mixed responses.

Here's my deal, I bought a long block and the owner kept the Oil pressure sending unit. Motor is 99 ls1, drive by cable out of 99 trans am.

I will be running an Open Loop, Speed Density tune, no MAF, no o2's, and my question is, can I plug the factory Oil Sending Unit hole, or just install an aftermarket gauge?

Some people tell me that yes, I do not need it as it only connects to the dash for the oil gauge.

Others tell me that I need one in order for the motor to run, but this doesn't make sense because I will be running an Open loop tune where the sensors will basically not be used.

Can anyone share an experience or give me some insight?

The Oil Pressure sending unit is in constant use when the ignition is on. Whether your in open or not it still reads. Im not sure if the pcm is setup to where if you loose oil pressure the fuel pump cuts off or not. If it does, you need it though. If it doesn't, you still need it! Why would you not want an oil pressure gauge anyway?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No cut off on these, the factory ECM was just used a place for the sendors signal to go and get converted into something the gauge panel would read.

Like stated before, get the right adapter and use an Auto meter or equivalent style gauge.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Well that is what I was planning on doing, running an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I should have clarified this! I was planning on just purchasing something like this http://www.autobarn.net/eqoilpreselt.html and running an aftermarket gauge. I was just seeing if I needed to buy the $50 sensor and from what I have found and what you guys have said, I do not since i will be running an aftermarket gauge. I can then probably delete this from my harness correct?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an autometer FP gauge and harness (comes with sender), install it, and leave your wiring there for the factory gauge

Quick Reply: Removing Oil Pressure Sending Unit?