Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter install, few problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter install, few problems

Well just got done with installing my pacesetters. The actually headers went in fine, I removed the steering nuckle on the drivers side and that was about it. I didn't need to remove the oil filter or anything. I did have to cut a little on the K member, but that was expected. The passenger side went in real easy after we jacked the car up more. We broke a bolt off on the driver side, that was a mess. All in all it wasn't hard at all, was less stressfull than the Macs I did before. When we came to the Y pipe, that was a different story. We didn't check to see that they fit right off the car, that was our mistake. When we went to slide the Y on, it wouldn't go on. The Y was too small to go over the collector on the headers. So tomorrow we are going to a muffler shop to have it all welded. Also I made my own O2 extensions and had to mill out the lip in one of the bungs so the O2 would go in. Wasn't a bad install and I hope i get everything sorted out tomorrow so I can drive it around. It was WAY too loud open headers. But was cool to hear for a little bit.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow you had some issues lol yah my ypipe was a tight fit even off the car...i did a check assembly before i put it on the car to see that everything was gonna be ok...just so i had less problems arrise.

lata
Bill
Old 01-12-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

I think what happened is that the coating is too thick. I should have checked before I put it on the car, but I really didn't think it would be a problem since I had the Y that pacesetter makes. Ah well, live and learn.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

I have a dual X pipe setup for sale in the classifieds if you really want to get every pony from your exhaust. If you do use that POS Y pipe, DON't weld it directly to the header. Use 3" band clamps and just butt the tubes together.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had nothing but trouble with the Pacesetter y.. This piece of **** would constantly bang when at idle because of the cam.. I just got back from the muffler shop & had A Flowmaster Y collector installed as well as havining them heat up the y pipe & bend it a little so that it would not bang anymore.. I will also add that a buddy of mine & I had to cut one of the cross braces out of my Slp sfc on the driverside so that the y could be slid onto the collector.. Even after all of that I still have a bit of banging upon slight acceleration.. This y pipe turned out to be the biggest waste of money & I would strongly advise anyone to think about a different y pipe.. But hey that's just my experience with it, might work out better for others.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JHarmon
I have a dual X pipe setup for sale in the classifieds if you really want to get every pony from your exhaust. If you do use that POS Y pipe, DON't weld it directly to the header. Use 3" band clamps and just butt the tubes together.
That's what I should have done. I'll never get this thing off now. I didn't weld the Y to the collector but I can concieve that it will be a bear to get off.

pewter99SS,

I had the same problem of the Y not going on the collector. I took it down to a muffler shop and had them expand it a little. It then fit fine. Sure would have been nice if the header collector center line was an inch or so lower so this crush in the Y pipe wouldn't be necessary.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Larry
That's what I should have done. I'll never get this thing off now. I didn't weld the Y to the collector but I can concieve that it will be a bear to get off.

pewter99SS,

I had the same problem of the Y not going on the collector. I took it down to a muffler shop and had them expand it a little. It then fit fine. Sure would have been nice if the header collector center line was an inch or so lower so this crush in the Y pipe wouldn't be necessary.
Yup tight fit= vabration & banging when that close to the floor pan.. Oh yah one more thing, we also had to relocate the fuel lines at the rear by the y collector because they were way to close for my liking.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my Y not fitting over the Headers or the magnaflow exhaust. I just took the Y pipe to a muffler shop and has all the openings widened a little bit. Fit perfect after that.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Geez....3 different threads complaing about the ORY.

So...if you guys could do it all over again....what ORY would you buy for this? Are there any out there that are a direct fit/replacement?
Old 01-12-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert

So...if you guys could do it all over again....what ORY would you buy for this? Are there any out there that are a direct fit/replacement?
There is not going to be any other Y pipe that will fit the Pace Setter headers. The drivers side header collector center line is so close to the car that no other will fit without modification.

Would I do it over again? No, I would just keep my Macs. I don't think I am going to gain 5 hp over my ported and modified Macs. But I don't know that for sure until I get to the track. We shall see.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert

If I had to it over again, I would have purchases the Pacesetter headers but would have had an exhaust shop fab me up a custom y.. I do however feel that the car has alot more low end grunt to it now over my previous Macs.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope I don't have a lot of these problems with the y pipe when I put mine on. This is my first header install I want everything to go in smoothlly.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

I had mine widened and then it fit on just fine. Tight fit, but it worked. I used the clamps on the headers and had everything else welded. I went and got a piece of utility hose that is supposed to handle up to 200 degrees and put it where the Y bangs and it fixed that problem.

JHarmon, I almost went with duals, there are a ton of places in the area that do them for reasonable prices. I just don't like the clearance offered. I know they make a little more power, but it isn't worth it to me.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewter99SS
I had mine widened and then it fit on just fine. Tight fit, but it worked. I used the clamps on the headers and had everything else welded. I went and got a piece of utility hose that is supposed to handle up to 200 degrees and put it where the Y bangs and it fixed that problem.

JHarmon, I almost went with duals, there are a ton of places in the area that do them for reasonable prices. I just don't like the clearance offered. I know they make a little more power, but it isn't worth it to me.

I did my pacesetter and ORY about 2 weeks ago.. Headers went on great.. No banging the K-memeber either. Buy the ORY pipe wouldnt fit on worth a **** so i had to use some bailing wire to hold the muffler up (becasue from the header down wouldnt fit) till i had time to go to a muffler shop. Well, they heated it up and bent some pipes a little and NOW the header is hitting the K-member but, the ORY is not bangin.. If i had to do it again i would get the pacesetter headers but have someone make true duals. For the money i paid at the muffler shop and the money i paid for the ORY i COULD have got true duals.. Just my .02
Old 01-13-2004, 01:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
I did my pacesetter and ORY about 2 weeks ago.. Headers went on great.. No banging the K-memeber either. Buy the ORY pipe wouldnt fit on worth a **** so i had to use some bailing wire to hold the muffler up (becasue from the header down wouldnt fit) till i had time to go to a muffler shop. Well, they heated it up and bent some pipes a little and NOW the header is hitting the K-member but, the ORY is not bangin.. If i had to do it again i would get the pacesetter headers but have someone make true duals. For the money i paid at the muffler shop and the money i paid for the ORY i COULD have got true duals.. Just my .02
haha just goes to show u...at least do a mach up of it all fitting together...the less variables before jumping in the better
Old 01-13-2004, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
haha just goes to show u...at least do a mach up of it all fitting together...the less variables before jumping in the better
You figured you can trust in a company to make the damn thing right... I guess Ya live and learn....
Old 01-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Would I do it again, yes. I did have some minor problems with the Y but nothing that I didn't expect. I recommend just going with true duels over the Y tho.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I have installed 3 sets of PS and the ORY. Two cars have no problems. One has had every exhaust shop and their brother work on it and he is still having problems with it.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

I would recommend duals also. I wish I had just done that. But then again when I move out to the country I know I won't have the clearance I need. Ah well.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pewter99SS

MY duals tuck under the car BETTER than the stock exhaust. My sets are made with a bunch of mandrel bent tubes cut and welded together. The driver side tube from the collector has about 4 pieces of tubing welded together in the first 5". I also make wrought iron furniture so I'm more of an artisan than muffler guy. My $hit is hand crafted. It's a far cry from your favorite neighborhood exhaust shop.