Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly Motor Mount ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly Motor Mount ?

Im about to do my motor mounts on my 98 Z and was wondering if I could just remove the whole pedestal when I do them ? It seems like it would be easier than taking off the alt or ac compressor . Just support the engine ,unbolt the mount from the engine ,jack it up and unbolt and remove the entire pedestal . Has anybody tried to do this ? It seems easy . I could be wrong . I know flat rate time is only 2 hours . So there has to be a easier way then 6 hours of cursing .
Old 05-23-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, you don't need to remove the entire pedestal. Just remove the alternator, unbolt the compressor and move aside, and then just remove the clamshell. It's easiest if you're doing it at the same time as LT's as the maifolds/cats will be out of the way giving you a ton more room.

Also, if this is your first time doing them, DON'T go off of book time. You won't even be close lol...
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

it is EASIEST if you do remove the pedalstal.......ask me how i know
Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

To be honest with you. I wouldnt waste my time or money I have them on my car but im also pushing a 250 shot of spray and moving up to more this summer. I would just take that money and put it toward something else on the car. Your car is a street car. With all the headaches doing it. I would wait till you build a another motor and do it then. TRUST ME its a pain in the a$$
Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My good friends and I installed my poly motor mounts on my SS this past Saturday and it was a PITA, BUT we were doing my LT's and ORY and I didn't want my motor rocking around and knocking the y-pipe into the floor pan. My best friend has a 02 SS that the y would hit the floor pan if he had the slightest clutch-chatter and he had to put his on with the headers in the way. I couldn't imagine doing it like that but he did, and by himself too. Good luck OP.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rob69zombie
My good friends and I installed my poly motor mounts on my SS this past Saturday and it was a PITA, BUT we were doing my LT's and ORY and I didn't want my motor rocking around and knocking the y-pipe into the floor pan. My best friend has a 02 SS that the y would hit the floor pan if he had the slightest clutch-chatter and he had to put his on with the headers in the way. I couldn't imagine doing it like that but he did, and by himself too. Good luck OP.
^Exact reason why I put a poly mount on my last Trans Am (pacesetter y-pipe was hitting the floor when I would accelerate). I just swapped the driver's side motor mount to poly and it fixed the problem (combined with loosening all the exhaust clamps, jamming wood shims between the car and y-pipe and then tightening the HELL out of the clamps and then knocking the wood shims back out).
Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

I would do them if you have the chance. I did mine when I did the headers and on of the old ones was starting to tear. At the time I only had 30,000 miles on it..

I removed the Alternator and AC just like in the write up. But I also had my exhaust off at the time. Still was a PITA though..

Don
Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

My ride has 97,000 miles on it . The engine moves around way to much . My ory pipe on my stock manifolds sometimes touch the floor Its about an inch away from the floor too . Im ordering LTs ,so I figured while Im in there . I have a lift ,so Im going to experiment with talking the whole pedastal out . I dont want the TSP Y banging the floor . Thanks everybody .
Old 05-24-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

it really was not that hard........dont let em tell ya diff
Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why remove a/c compressor? I didn't when I did mine. I removed the whole pedestal and did both sides at the same time. I let the oil pan rest on a piece of 2x6. Assembly can be a bit tricky.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not solids?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk
To be honest with you. I wouldnt waste my time or money I have them on my car but im also pushing a 250 shot of spray and moving up to more this summer. I would just take that money and put it toward something else on the car. Your car is a street car. With all the headaches doing it. I would wait till you build a another motor and do it then. TRUST ME its a pain in the a$$
At 100k, my motor mounts were fucked. They needed to be replaced anyway. Its not always a "fad" mod. I presume most 100k stock rubber mounts are beyond fixable.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

for the price of the motor mounts, it's a good idea to pick them up. just install them some time when you have another project going on or when you can afford the down time. and it is a lot easier to remove the whole pedestal.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
for the price of the motor mounts, it's a good idea to pick them up. just install them some time when you have another project going on or when you can afford the down time. and it is a lot easier to remove the whole pedestal.
Thanks ! Thats what I figured . I already have them sitting on top of my toolbox at work . Im ordering headers this week ,so I figure it will be a good time to do them .