Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil pack relocation kit "do it your self"

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=DEEZ98Z If you have found valve covers for 98 heads let me know[/QUOTE]

He bought 99+ heads that the only other way to get other years valve covers to fit. Sorry.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Deez, if you meant that why didn't you write that in the first place, to me and the others you sounded pretty confident the relocation kit wouldn't work on a 98 "You can do this with all the years except 98.... they attach to the valve cover differently." Nothing at all about looking like ****, no harm, though I was just stating that they would work on a 98 cosmetics aside. Don't take the little smileys too serious

As for my heads I switched to 6.0L truck heads, with 99-02 valvecovers, the 98 covers won't look that bad if you painted them, if using a 98 head. My bad for not clearing that up.

Lawman, and Hotrod, I forgot to get that pic today I got busy with crap around the house. I'll get that pic tomorrow...will be installing my HKS BOV tomorrow too As for the brackets, the end brackets are aluminum, the type used for edging and siding. It can be found at Home depot or lowes. The cowl bracket looks to be a plated steel(zinc?) also can be found at lowes. The threaded rod, and hollow steel tubing and nylon locking nuts and acorn nuts can be found at a hobby shop or lowes, depot for a small amount. I bet you can make this whole kit for under $30 bucks, but the wires will cost a lil more
Whats up Kyle, don't sweat that guy up there he's touchy about the guy I keed I keed, I joke with you
J
Old 01-16-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wires alone are $60 retail (taylor universals) for the cheap 'uns, plus you gotta buy the LT1 ends. Im just gonna buy a set of LT1 wires and see how they fit
i think there shouldnt be much of a problem, since the distance from the cowl to plug seems similiar as the LT1's opti-to-plug

as for the valvecovers, I dont see how anyone would complain about the 98's being ugly, since most people would shave the coil bosses off if they'de go thru the trouble of relocating the coils anyway
Old 01-16-2004, 01:33 AM
Banned

Here is a copy of my Valve covers after I shaved the mounts and had the holes resmoothed and painted. There is also a pic of the coils together. I have completed the brackets and will take some pics tomorrow on and off the car. TOTAL COST TO DO THIS WAS UNDER 7 DOLLARS...But I still need to figure out what wires Im gonna use....I called Thunder for the hell of it..They want 150 dollars for the wires alone

Old 01-16-2004, 01:46 AM
Banned

Old 01-16-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE= But I still need to figure out what wires Im gonna use....I called Thunder for the hell of it..They want 150 dollars for the wires alone QUOTE]

HOLY CRAP that alot..... call and make your own....
Old 01-16-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=DEEZ98Z]
Originally Posted by frcefed98
Can't fit on a 98? I have a 98 and the coil relocation works just fine, all LS1 coils have the same mounting holes. Those are whats being used to tie em together. You can get a set of 99-02 valvecovers for a cleaner look, the 98 covers look awful when naked.
Here are a few pics of the TR/jay fisher coil relocation kit. Off the car to give you a good idea of what to buy if doing it yourself.

That is what I was saying.... I think that it look like shyt on the 98 valve covers The 99-02 valve covers will not fit on 98 heads... the 98's attach with like 8 bolts arond the lip of the cover.... while the 99-02's attach with 3 bolts down the center of the cover. If you have found valve covers for 98 heads let me know
he installed 6.0 heads on his car, so that is why he could use the 99+ Valve covers.

i have not found any covers for 98 heads yet. I like the perimiter bolt parrern of them, nicer, imho.

I do plan on shaving a set in the future, and having it all flat, but i am waiting for a friend to buy a mill (save me $$)

Ryan
Old 01-16-2004, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Here is a copy of my Valve covers after I shaved the mounts and had the holes resmoothed and painted.
You painted your valve covers? They look like polished metal! They look awesome - what sort of paint did you use? You mentioned you were making your own brackets similar to the TR ones - how the hell do they attach to the car? That's been my problem, I could make up a set of brackets pretty easily but I have no idea how the hell they go on....
Old 01-16-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

most people bolt the coilpacks under the cowl.
you drill a couple of holes thru the metal portion of it
Old 01-16-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have any pics of where and what it looks like under the cowl?

Onyx: For wires, are are you talking about the 10.4 Taylors for the LT
Old 01-16-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have any pics of where and what it looks like under the cowl?

Onyx: For wires, are are you talking about the 10.4 Taylors for the LT1? I was thinking these are what I would use. They are 120 from thunder. thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

I used a spray paint called Plasticoat engine paint. They were silver but I repainted them Hugger Orange to match my intake since I was going to polish the heads..(I have no power steering and EGR)

Here is a pic of the brackets I made...Look on Thunder's site to show how they are mounted..The long piece slides between the metal and plastic piece on the cowl ands is bolted down

Old 01-16-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Hugger...how did you go about shaving the bosses?
I bought a new set of GM valvecovers and took them to a machine shop. They quoted me $270 to mill the bosses and TIG the holes. A little steep, I thought, so I was thinking that I could just cut them off with a cut wheel and grind them smooth with a die grinder.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

FRCEFED:

Does the Thunder kit require any modification to the wiring harness that plugs into the coils?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Banned

Just cut them off with a hacksaw and gring them til they are flush with the rest of the valve cover...Then have the holes welded up.. and regrind til smooth...Or you could just put bondo in the holes and it will come out fine..I have done this to 2 other sets for people and they look flawless.There are no wire harness modifications needed
Old 01-16-2004, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Hugger SS
Your setup looks really clean. As soon as you install them I would love to see what it looks like on your car.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hugger SS
Just cut them off with a hacksaw and gring them til they are flush with the rest of the valve cover...Then have the holes welded up.. and regrind til smooth...Or you could just put bondo in the holes and it will come out fine..I have done this to 2 other sets for people and they look flawless.There are no wire harness modifications needed
Sweet...thanks! I think I'm gonna get them welded because I plan on getting them Chromed!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Banned

If you want to send them to me..I can get it taken care of for you...not the chrome part..but the welding and cutting.....you just pay for the work...They charged me 30 bucks but they did it as a favor..probobly about 40-50 bucks for the job
Old 01-16-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Hugger: That sounds good to me, I really appreciate the offer....however, before I send them, let me check with the local chrome shop, first, to see what that's going to cost me. I need to make sure this project doesn't spiral out of control (like most of these LS1 mods seem to)!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

some installed pics

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slapsht25/30th%20page.htm

Quick Reply: Coil pack relocation kit "do it your self"