Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Pulley removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water Pump Pulley removal?

Has anybody removed the pulley off of their water pump? I've got a spare water pump to mess with, but from looking over the pump shaft, I can't tell if the head of the shaft is larger than the overall diameter, i.e. whether or not I can just pull the pulley straight off the shaft, or if the entire shaft needs to be removed from the pump and the pulley pushed off the back of the shaft.

Before I destroy this pump in the name of education, I figured I'd see if I could learn here first.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Isnt there a small ridge at the end of the shaft for a puller to grab onto?? I cant remember for sure but if there is then you can pick up a specific pulley removal tool. I have one, its got a fully looking piece that grabs that lip. I believe its packaged as a power steering pump removal puller bc thats how they are put on. If there is no lip then I'm not sure.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's no lip on the pulley. I have a feeling that I'm going to ruin the pulley getting it off, but from what I've read, it is just pressed on, so it should come off ok with my press.

I guess I'll have to give it a try.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

you cant remove the WP pulley......ask me how i know......unless you just wanna destroy the pump.......which i did.......to sell the aluminum
Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I took the pulley off last night.

It was actually a piece of cake. I have a rather large 2-jaw puller that worked great. The pulley slid right off.

Now I'm on to step 2 of this job... see what it takes to get the shaft & impeller out of the body.

In parallel, I also need to find somebody with an LS3 pump to measure the distance from the block mounting surface to the tip of the shaft. I'm on a mission here.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice work

Quick Reply: Water Pump Pulley removal?