Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about Fernco

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004 | 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Default Quick question about Fernco

Well if you came in here I'm sure you're aware of what I'm speaking of. There were two different ones at my Home Depot: a short straight one($6) and a long curved one($10). From what I saw it appeared that the short one was appropriate. In my case it really isn't. I lipped it onto the TB first and then tried to get it on the MAF coming off of the air lid. It slipped around the top but doesn't quite seem to be long enough to get it around the bottom edge of the MAF nice and secure. Did you get the long one and cut it to size or just jimmy rig the smaller one to work? Your input is appreciated.

Justin
Old 01-15-2004 | 06:52 PM

DO NOT buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!

It broke my passenger side tabs on my lid. Its too stiff and when the engine rolls to one side, it dont flex and stresses the airbox lid.
Old 01-15-2004 | 07:16 PM
Launching!

Small one went on fine for me :dunno:
Old 01-15-2004 | 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I could definitely see that happening with how thick and non-pliable it is. I'm kind of thinking about just forgetting about it. I'm reading how it doesn't really help in HP gains so the main reason I'd be doing it would just be for a little dress-up. I guess I might just break down and buy one of those hoses from Airflow (www.airflo.com). In my recent research I've also found that there are two other places to get these. So anyone else who is wondering about them just refer to this thread...Smooth Bellow/Ferco Discussion
Old 01-17-2004 | 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

If the $8 fernco is worth your $100 lid.. then go for it

Seen too many broken lids from "toliet" plumbing bellows.
Old 01-17-2004 | 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

i've had mine on for over two years with no problems. i've had many nitrous launches with my six speed and never broke the lid. if someone is breaking the tabs off the lid their motor is moving around WAY too much. i would be more concerned with solving that problem than blaming it on the bellow.
Old 01-17-2004 | 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by menikmati
i've had mine on for over two years with no problems. i've had many nitrous launches with my six speed and never broke the lid. if someone is breaking the tabs off the lid their motor is moving around WAY too much. i would be more concerned with solving that problem than blaming it on the bellow.

Amen
Old 01-18-2004 | 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

I have had a fernco bellow on mine for a while and havn't had any problems.
Old 01-18-2004 | 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a different Fernco that has a step in it from 3" to 3.25 or 3.5" and it hasn't broken my lid in the span of over 2 years that it's been on the car. I also have an old Whisper lid which was one of the first ones ever made for the LS1 F-bodies and its at least 4-5 years old and it still hasn't broken. I had to special order my Fernco coupler though since it was a soffet to clay pipe or soffet to iron pipe fitting that none of the Home Depots carried. You don't have to stretch it or melt it to fit though, just trim either end so that it's short enough to fit.
Old 01-18-2004 | 07:25 PM
On The Tree

I also have the 3x3.5 fernco.....been on the car for over 2 years with no problems.......
Old 01-18-2004 | 08:58 PM
Launching!

i agree, i would look at the engine mounts first,i got mine at a local
hardware store and they had two, a frenco, and a no name
off brand that was the same thickness, and length, but softer and more flexable and cheaper, so i got that one works great no problems at all
Old 01-19-2004 | 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

LMAO!... I've seen a car with less than 1000 miles on it ****** rear tabs out using a fernco. On the motor. Of course it was a lowly (hooking ) automatic.