Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i delete my EGR and AIR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i delete my EGR and AIR?

i live in cali and going to get some longtubes ppl are telling me just to get the race style long tubes instead of the longtubes with EGR/Air. how do i go about gettign rid of the EGR and AIR without throwing codes and effecting performance? im planning on keeping my old stuff so when i come to smog and can just switch everything back over?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The EGR WILL throw a code regardless. It plugs into the top of your LS1 intake manifold, it's the black mesh covered hose. That's about all I know as to it's location lol
Old 06-20-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you take that stuff off it will throw codes until u have it tuned and the tuner can turn of the egr and air systems. but i c y u wanted to keep them hooked up for smog. i would take back my previous statement in your other post than and just say it would be better for you to just buy the correct headers for your year car to keep all that hooked up. American Race Headers makes a set of 1 7/8 tubing with the egr and air hook ups. nice headers. cuz its to my understanding that all the other ones with the provision hook ups are 1 3/4 tubing. plannin on sellin mine so i can get the ARH headers too for the same reason as you.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

You can cut the EGR tube off so it clears the intake and wont rob performance while you wait to have it tuned out. The air system will throw a code no matter what you do with it. You can cut the hoses and have the inlet tube and outlet tube (going to headers) just cut and leave it so it will turn on but wont throw codes
Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one I have looked into rather heavily. There just isn't any gain to be had, unless you are planning on pulling off every extra bolt, the A/C, all of the carpet, and are looking to unload 7-9 lbs!

Cutting EGR will reduce your gas mileage and it SHUTS OFF at WOT! So, maybe cut the tube if it makes you feel like you have another cool mod. Leave the AIR on. You will have a BITCH of a time passing inspection without them, and trust me, the price you will have to drop into the mechanic's hands to pass you will NOT be worth any unlikely gains that you would see from cutting these systems. After paying off the tech a few times, you will have spent more on the worthless !AIR and !EGR mods than you will on the nitrous.

Just leave them on. Anyone who tells you they can "feel" a difference may need to see if they can get their hands on a "Tornado/Turbonator!" Come to think of it, I miss laughing at those commercials and hearing stories of picking up "30 hp easy on my Civic si, it is mean now."

DON'T fall for it!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy i bought it from must have yanked some stuff off cause i got the SES running from that right now.. Should i just leave the light on than and not try to !codes?
Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transsam
This is one I have looked into rather heavily. There just isn't any gain to be had, unless you are planning on pulling off every extra bolt, the A/C, all of the carpet, and are looking to unload 7-9 lbs!

Cutting EGR will reduce your gas mileage and it SHUTS OFF at WOT! So, maybe cut the tube if it makes you feel like you have another cool mod. Leave the AIR on. You will have a BITCH of a time passing inspection without them, and trust me, the price you will have to drop into the mechanic's hands to pass you will NOT be worth any unlikely gains that you would see from cutting these systems. After paying off the tech a few times, you will have spent more on the worthless !AIR and !EGR mods than you will on the nitrous.

Just leave them on. Anyone who tells you they can "feel" a difference may need to see if they can get their hands on a "Tornado/Turbonator!" Come to think of it, I miss laughing at those commercials and hearing stories of picking up "30 hp easy on my Civic si, it is mean now."

DON'T fall for it!
im not sure where you are going with this, EGR makes your car run more rich in normal driving conditions. When you cut the EGR tube that sticks down into the intake and make it flush it smooths the incoming air thats going into the manifold. If you dont believe me go for a ride in your car and stick your hand out the window with a highlighter in your hand and feel the resistance from the air passing over the marker, this is the same thing inside your intake. yes the gains are close to none but every little bit helps.

it is not a bitch to get it to pass emissions, MOST states dont have visual inspections on cars anymore, they simply plug in the computer to the OBD2 port and check for codes. EGR and AIR can be deleted for a number of different reasons, for one i think it cleans up the engine bay and second if you are running headers or an ORY. If you have no cats then whats the point of AIR? they are there to circulate air into the cats to heat them up. I had no EGR/AIR, long tube headers, an off road y pipe, and a cam and i passed emissions no problems and no i did not "pay off the tech".
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
The guy i bought it from must have yanked some stuff off cause i got the SES running from that right now.. Should i just leave the light on than and not try to !codes?
its probably from the cats being taken off, it can throw off the rear 02s which you can get tuned out.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
it is not a bitch to get it to pass emissions, MOST states dont have visual inspections on cars anymore, they simply plug in the computer to the OBD2 port and check for codes. EGR and AIR can be deleted for a number of different reasons, for one i think it cleans up the engine bay and second if you are running headers or an ORY. If you have no cats then whats the point of AIR? they are there to circulate air into the cats to heat them up. I had no EGR/AIR, long tube headers, an off road y pipe, and a cam and i passed emissions no problems and no i did not "pay off the tech".
It really depends on the state my ONLY reason for not doing LT's/ and ORY is because of visual inspection for emissions. NC is pretty strict and inspectors can loose their licence and get fined and the shops can also be fined so for most places inspection is the one thing they actually do right. And it doesnt help when you drive up in a loud sports car. And the OP is in California so from what I hear is stricter then the other 49 states.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

its probably from the cats being taken off, it can throw off the rear 02s which you can get tuned out.
Can i just take it to autozone and they'll do it? Or do they just read it
Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not sure where you are going with this, EGR makes your car run more rich in normal driving conditions. When you cut the EGR tube that sticks down into the intake and make it flush it smooths the incoming air thats going into the manifold. If you dont believe me go for a ride in your car and stick your hand out the window with a highlighter in your hand and feel the resistance from the air passing over the marker, this is the same thing inside your intake. yes the gains are close to none but every little bit helps.

"Most states" don't matter. He is in California! That is where I am coming from. I know I am the odd ball on this one, but from the research I've done, leaving the EGR raises mileage.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
It really depends on the state my ONLY reason for not doing LT's/ and ORY is because of visual inspection for emissions. NC is pretty strict and inspectors can loose their licence and get fined and the shops can also be fined so for most places inspection is the one thing they actually do right. And it doesnt help when you drive up in a loud sports car. And the OP is in California so from what I hear is stricter then the other 49 states.
NC is a joke, I lived there for 4 years not too long ago. Yes the stupid safety inspections are a PITA but if you find the right emissions shop they will pass just about everyone, my dads 73 firebird with a 455 passed no problems even tho he had the emissions stuff removed from the car.

on another note cali is not a joke (yes i lived there too) so i understand what you are saying, there are ways to get around it, there are people on this forum that live there and have LT headers and what not and still pass emissions. Im not saying any of this to be a dick, just saying if the OP wants to do it, it can be done.

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Can i just take it to autozone and they'll do it? Or do they just read it
no autozone only has a code reader, you need someone with ls1edit or a tuner that will be able to tune the rear 02s out. Dont tune out the front ones tho, those are important.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1speed has nice aluminum delete caps for the AIR + EGR... I've got em..

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000045
Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Launching!

What are the side affects from removing the AIR with no tune?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is NO EGR in 2001+ ;-)

Originally Posted by transsam

DON'T fall for it!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 427LS7HCI
What are the side affects from removing the AIR with no tune?
Nothing. IIRC... It is just used at startup to prevent excessive emissions before the O2's are fully warmed up and functioning properly.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a ls6 Intake then Just delete The Whole EGR System. Keep the A/C Cause you will regret it If it is your DD
Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Yep. We're making enough power as it is. It's not THAT big of a draw. I removed mine and ended up throwing it back in. Missed my creature comforts.

Quick Reply: how do i delete my EGR and AIR?