Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Kooks headers worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally when it all comes down to it, its all just metal
Old 06-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think these threads are ever gonna stop. Just get what you feel is best for YOU!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:02 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I don't know why you keep insisting the ball flanges on the BBK's to be crap?
When it comes to header collectors, ball flanges ARE crap. How do I know? I've actually confirmed it. Back in 99-02ish, we were gaining 6-9rwhp removing the ball flanges on MACS collectors, without any tuning. We once did it on the dyno.

If ball flanges work so well, why doesn't LG or AR use them on their header collectors?

I haven't had a single problem with them, and have yet to see any other threads or posts backing up your statement either
Factual knowledge isn't always on the internet.

... as a matter of fact they are known for better sealing and flexibility plus you don't need to use gaskets
Sealing? Maybe. Flexibility, I'll give you that. They do allow more maneuverability which is nice.

... I don't even wanna get into the argument of a 2.5" y-pipe being a problem.
Yes, 2.5" is a restriction. ESPECIALLY on a Ypipe setup.

That has been discussed MANY times on here and always ends in it not being that big of a deal, if any at all... I seriously doubt it's hurting my power that much, if at all...
You're right, it's been beat to death. And I'm glad for those people who bought the BBK's and felt they got their money's worth. But, for the people who haven't bought them yet........Buy something that you'll actually get your moneys worth out of, and get Pacesetters.

10 years ago I probably couldn't say this, but now I can. When I reply to a post on here regarding a product, I'm not talking out my *** or just throwing words on the screen so I can read it back to myself. I'm talking from experience from actually doing it, using it, seeing it, living it. Not what I read on some other thread one time.

Cheers
Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
Not what I read on some other thread one time.
That is basically what LS1Tech is turning into. If thats the case everyone that has registered on this site in the last 4 months has done 11 cam swaps and 2 sets of heads.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
That is basically what LS1Tech is turning into. If thats the case everyone that has registered on this site in the last 4 months has done 11 cam swaps and 2 sets of heads.
LOL! If it was me I would go with Pacesetter. You really can't beat the price. I have had 3 sets. Never a problem with the install.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can buy 2 sets of pacesetters and it will still be cheaper than a set of kooks..lol.. no doubt stainless steel is nice. but like i said my pacesetters fit great and i just got slight rust aroudn the collector. everything else is still great.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And they are not made to be jewelry, stuff on a car is going to get some sort of discoloration or rust. Or both.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Teching In

get kooks there great headers and look good for years to come....but if your on a budget the pace setters are still great headers but will rust in a years time
Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My opinion and experience..

Like I said before. If your car is a showcar them stainless yes. Or if your rich and money isnt a problem then yes. If not then why waste money on something you might end up taking off your car and selling in a couple years? In 2006 for my 98 car I bought the dynatech supermaxx all stainless with a magnaflow for $2000. 2 years later I had to sell the car anyway. Ended up taking everything off and selling. Its just not worth it imo. Now im doing it all over again with a 01 car. I spent $1500 less this time around and I love the pacesetters. They are discolored but its not like they have holes in them.

Also,I used to be one of the guys saying "go stainless they will last forever" thats great in a perfect world but now on my 3rd car I know I might have to take the stuff off and sell it anyway.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya might want to read this:
CERAMIC HEADER COATING MAINTENANCE

http://www.slponline.com/header_mntn.asp?P=30211

Originally Posted by SAPS
I have them and I'm somewhat disapointed with the discoloration/oxidation level - especially since it's in a garage with a dehumidifier and never driven in the rain.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

it all comes down to what your happy with spending fitment issues are there on some headers yeah but hopefully you only install them once, my slp headers were bought in 2001 and the ceramic coating came off the bottom of the collectors but they still worked great . i DO have KOOKs now 1 7/8 into there y pipe and i personally had no problem installing them in my driveway with a jack and jackstands, they fit vey nice and way more clearance than slp headers.Plus i bought them back in november and polished on them all winter ! nice eye candy. buy the pacesetters if thats what your budget permits,then you have money for a nice CAM!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:46 PM
MASS seller approved

well now that tsp has 1 7/8" for 500$ i think kooks are a waste of money unless your getting stepped or 2"
Old 06-28-2010, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched to 1 7/8 Kooks from 1 3/4 Pacesetters. I should have bought the Kooks a long time ago. I have no complaints with the Pacesetters though because they were five years old and been on two different cars; one of which caught on fire and burnt. I pulled them from the engine bay of the burnt car, cleaned them off and put them on the other.

See the pic below

Old 07-03-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

Now what is the benefit of stepped headers? When are they recommended over non-stepped?

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
well now that tsp has 1 7/8" for 500$ i think kooks are a waste of money unless your getting stepped or 2"
Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

LPP LT and Duals

Quick Reply: Are Kooks headers worth the money?