Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding Fipk intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPS
Yes I have proof...I measured the air temperature around the intake and IAT from the PCM before and after installing the K&N with the custom cutouts. After yielded air temps = to ambient and lower IAT as well.

FYI, any car, on any dyno could vary 3-5hp between pulls with or without a change from one intake to another.

That's the truth and all the proof needed.

Don't believe all the "experts" that lurk on forums.
if you have a dyno that reads 5 hp difference by changing nothing, you need to find another dyno.

unless you have dyno charts or time slips, your not proving anything. the K&N is over priced and under performs. period. when i had my K&N i found some band wagon rider like yourself, unloaded it, and bought me a lid and radiator support for 150, picked up a good bit and made myself 100 bucks.

and just for the record, my "numbers" are the average of 5 pulls each. so that kinda eleminates the so called "dyno variance" you are so terrified of.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
if you have a dyno that reads 5 hp difference by changing nothing, you need to find another dyno.

unless you have dyno charts or time slips, your not proving anything. the K&N is over priced and under performs. period. when i had my K&N i found some band wagon rider like yourself, unloaded it, and bought me a lid and radiator support for 150, picked up a good bit and made myself 100 bucks.

and just for the record, my "numbers" are the average of 5 pulls each. so that kinda eleminates the so called "dyno variance" you are so terrified of.
Im not band wagon rider the intake came on my car and Ive not found major reason to change it end of story. For the record it is a well made piece overpriced yes but made well none the less. In my car the fipk doesn't cause heat soak so other then adding a ram air setup I don't see how the lid could be any better but to each his own.

BTW I could be wrong but from my understanding dyno's need to be calibrated from time to time?

Last edited by mtuggle86; 07-07-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mtuggle86
Im not band wagon rider the intake came on my car and Ive not found major reason to change it end of story. For the record it is a well made piece overpriced yes but made well none the less. In my car the fipk doesn't cause heat soak so other then adding a ram air setup I don't see how the lid could be any better but to each his own.
never said you was a band wagon rider. i was reffering to the other guy. i agree its a nice peice, and over priced, but you could find a used lid and radiator support like i did, ditch the K&N and have a better peice that offers more room to grow (with larger lids for larger MAF's ect, the K&N doesnt allow for) and make yourself a few bucks in the process.

the profit alone is reason enough to ditch the K&N.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

never said you was a band wagon rider. i was reffering to the other guy. i agree its a nice peice, and over priced, but you could find a used lid and radiator support like i did, ditch the K&N and have a better peice that offers more room to grow (with larger lids for larger MAF's ect, the K&N doesnt allow for) and make yourself a few bucks in the process.

the profit alone is reason enough to ditch the K&N.
Ive thought about it for the profit of it but hell now Ive cut a hole in the bottom of it and epoxied a aluminum screen under the hole. I doubt anyone will want to buy a molested Fipk intake.

While ive got you attention guys I just ordered a TSP true dual system with spiral flow muff what do you think I will pick up from moving to that system over my current setup.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

pretty good gains probably, but unfortunately, SpiralFlows are the worst of the 3 choices you can get with the rumbler X
Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pretty good gains probably, but unfortunately, SpiralFlows are the worst of the 3 choices you can get with the rumbler X
Ya I know I still drive on the street mostly so I was worried the bullets and Sweet thunders would just be to loud. Im expecting them to be loud but I wanted to keep it in check somewhat.

What do you think the morososwill cost me over the sweet thunders? John at tsp said there would hardly be a difference but I keep reading they suck on her.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:34 AM
12 Second Club

cant say for sure. ive never seen back to back tests. but im sure there is something on here somewhere. i just know when i talked to Jon@TSP, he told me the sprial flows are the worst flowing.

FWIW, i had dynomax bullets on my TSP TD's and it wasent too loud unless i was heavy on the loud pedal. i drove mine everyday for 2 years and didnt get any attention from the cops.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Yes I'm a "bandwagon" kinda guy...I just hop aboard the latest and greatest buzz and ride it out until the next one comes along.

I succumb to your wisdom...I know nothing about mechanics, dyno's, engineering...nothing.

Can you continue to enlighten me?

Statements alleging I’m a “bandwagon” guy and “terrified” of variances are blasphemous rhetoric which have no basis in fact.

Why average the runs if there is no variance?

Define a “good bit”?

Where are your time slips that support your statement?

Last edited by SAPS; 07-08-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Modding Fipk intake