Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's used a manual pipe expander for exhaust work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who's used a manual pipe expander for exhaust work?

I plan on buying a pipe expander like this,

and was wondering how well it works? I'm going to be expanding 3" pipe for duals and wondered if it's going to be a beast to expand the pipes so I can slip fit them together, or if it works well with a regular wrench, wratchet?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:22 AM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

This tool worked well for me. I used it to reopen slightly crimped pipe and header ends from using U-Clamps.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:34 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a tool just like that. Got it from Harbor Freight. Very first time I used it to expand some aluminized pipe, the threads stripped and made it completely useless
Old 01-18-2004, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have broken 2 of them. I wouldn't buy it. I know here in Ohio you can rent them from Auto Zone and even if they break you still get your money back.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pipe expanders are made to take the clamp indents out of pipe and to reshape the opening, not to enlarge pipe. It can be done but requires a heavy duty expander and a good deal of time, patience and preferably - heat.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

And they really only work on thin walled tubing. That thing doesn't work very well at all on a good quality stainless steel catback pipe. I have one from harbor freight, and I use it occasionally, but I do know its limits.

If you need a piece of pipe flared, take it to your local Midas. Slide the guy 5 bucks and it's a done deal. (been there, done that)

-Andrew
Old 01-18-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

It worked well for me. I rented it from an auto parts store (forget which one), but I ended up buying it from them.

The thing is though, you need an air compressor to use it. I couldn't imagine trying to manually expand a pipe with it. Someone mentioned that they break, well the only thing that can break are the rubber o-rings that hold it together. I did break one of the o-rings, but you can pick those up anywhere. It's one of those tools that makes you happy when you need it, but you might not need it that often.

Quick Reply: Who's used a manual pipe expander for exhaust work?