Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA vs. SLP vs. Free mod.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Jesus Christ man, you have a personal problem with Chris1313 or what?? I really don't see what good coming in here and bashing his product, his intentions, or his knowledge is doing anyone... Chill...
But if the man is right, he's right.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Jesus Christ man, you have a personal problem with Chris1313 or what?? I really don't see what good coming in here and bashing his product, his intentions, or his knowledge is doing anyone... Chill...
I didn't bash anything. I stated the conundrum that he is in. This quandary between poor engineering or poor intent is something I find to be extremely relevant to anyone looking how to spend $200.

As for having a problem, it isn't personal, but it would be had I wasted anything on his product.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Now I only have the free mod, but I've been looking at upgrading soon, and I've seen more than a few people post positive gains with the chris1313. Have you actually tried it transsam? Not trying to step on any toes, just curious what you have to back your statements
Old 07-13-2010, 02:25 AM
Launching!

i made the chris1313 ram air for 20bux i aluminum sheeting and some pop-rivets, 2hrs later i was done. seems like it helped some, if not it was only 20bux.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 AM
9 Second Club

Some people see results from removing air and egr. I believe this to be the same placebo effect. I live where it is hot enough that I will not risk my engine to some overpriced radiator clogging gimmick. My only experience I suppose is the SSRA, FTRA, and SLP arguments over the years. I am left with the observation that in the final analysis, $200 can be spent in better ways. Particularly considering the testing is mostly seat of the pants. The remaining "results" vary so widely that forming any meaningful conclusion is impossible at best, a placebo at worst.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:46 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 7plagues
i made the chris1313 ram air for 20bux i aluminum sheeting and some pop-rivets, 2hrs later i was done. seems like it helped some, if not it was only 20bux.
Case in point!

At the end of the day, this thread is for the OP. And to him, I still say, get a lid if you don't have one, then cut some plastic from underneath and call it a day. Or, spend the $20, get the same thing (just watch coolant temps), then save the rest for a dry kit of nitrous. That is seat of the pants feel!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

If you want to try the FTRA kit ,then try it and go to the track and get some time slips and let that be the judge for you . Run your car 2 or 3 times with your FRA set-up and then bolt-on your FTRA Kit and run it 2 or 3 times. You will see a difference one way or another. I did it in high 80 degree temps and I gained a full tenth and 1.5 mph with the FTRA in the heat . To each is own man ,but I say get one and test it out for yourself.

That will be the only way to know if it works or not. Not just driving around the block.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mr transamm you sir are giving out FALSE information on thr Chrs1313 ram air.It has been drag strip tested and WORKS!!! No problems with it blocking air going through the rad either.It is one step better than the ftra,and for good reason it flows over twice the amount of air into the engine.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
Mr transamm you sir are giving out FALSE information on thr Chrs1313 ram air.It has been drag strip tested and WORKS!!! No problems with it blocking air going through the rad either.It is one step better than the ftra,and for good reason it flows over twice the amount of air into the engine.
And can be made for $20!

But if there is real, legitimate track data, I could be wrong. I suspect and believe numbers are hopeful at best and not well executed on the testing.

I suspect there is more to the story. The data still seems weak. If I am wrong, I am wrong and I should have found another way to run 9s at over 4500' D.A. You have a pretty damned quick car. I wonder what the results would be with good testing. Proper minimum testing on a part requires 10 runs. 2 outs of 5 with and 2 sets of 5 without. Track carefully the D.A. and make sure you are getting nearly identical 60' times and each run. Take out the 2 extremes from the tests and average 3. So if the thing "flows twice the amount of air into the engine," I know nothing about cars, airflow and RESTRICTIONS after the air filter, such as oh, say EVERYTHING including the filter itself.

I've seen "well tested results" for just all gimmicks out there. This product will die, at least at $200 (at minimum of 10x the actual cost with little R&D other than copying what is out there). That is my primary problem. It isn't like this is a FAST intake where you can charge a premium because your R&D, and consistent results that are real. I am down on all of the Ram Air gimmicks, but the audacity to sell it for that price blows my mind.

Again, if I am indeed wrong, so be it. I seriously doubt that I am. These have been gimmicks for way too long and discredited in too many ways. If this is not a gimmick, everyone go buy one. When I was in elementary school, I had this pair of shoes that made me run so much faster! I could feel it!

Spend your money how you will, and best of luck to you. GM seems to have admitted that "Ram Air" was a gimmick, and it was "track tested with data."

Last edited by transsam; 07-13-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Its made from .035 guage aluminum that costs 35$. Takes 2.5 hours to make 1 intake.Has been tested by several including LS1 Speedinc to work better than anything currently avalable to purchase.Chris is a mechanical engineer for a air filtration company in the Chicagoland area.Maybe you can list your enginering background? Buy one or make your own,its up to everyone indvually.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

lid..free ram air mod...3 inch bellow from farm & fleet....love it!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lid and free ram air.

I have the FTRA, I noticed absolutely no SOTP or mileage increases with it.

Luckily I bought it used at 50% of retail.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder how many of these smart ***'s properly sealed up their intake. I have consistent gain with my ftra of just over a tenth and about 1.2 mph. No placebo here dumbass. Time Slips.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Bought a used Fast Toys and love it. I gained about a tenth and mph on average with it. Couldn't complain about the price either since it was used. Only drawback is to keep an eye on your air filter. It gets dirty quickly. I had a lid,ported MAF and ported TB before install.

No experience with Chris set up but had I known I probably would have bought his instead.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im will start off by saying you need to chill. I have seen the chrs1313 gain on every LS1 fbody it ever been installed on gaining as much as 3 mph personaly. If you think it doesnt work that your opinion but chill the **** out and dont bash something if you havent tested it yourself. To the op buy the chrs1313 ram go to the track and make 3 passes without it and then throw the ramair on and do the same I assure you will see real results. 1 example this was all done on the same day at the track with 60' all 1.6X. friends car224/224 cam full bolt ons without ramair 12.00 with ramair car went 11.79and then backed it with con. 11.82X rest of the afternoon. I
dont know how much better to explain that this product realy works period.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
I wonder how many of these smart ***'s properly sealed up their intake. I have consistent gain with my ftra of just over a tenth and about 1.2 mph. No placebo here dumbass. Time Slips.
LOL... Buy one and get some time slips and compare FRA vs. FTRA Kit . That's the only way you can prove it to yourself if a FTRA kit works or not.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
I welcome your calling me a dumbass. I find it amusing. I have a genius level IQ and extreme narcissistic tendencies. Thanks for the laugh, tiger.
Of course I "sealed" it correctly using their cute little rubber seal. I went so far as to pad any other possible leaks on the seal of the air lid itself. Enjoy believing your consistent gains. Different track prep, different tires, differing amounts of gasoline in the tank could account for your "gains." I believe you will find that most people who actually understand middle of the road timeslips understand that .1 and 1.2 mean next to nothing. But hey, what would I know? If I recall correctly, I'm just a dumbass.

In addendum, please feel free to call me a dumbass all you want. I built my car 100% on my own from the engine and transmission to the suspension. Time slips, yeah, let us compare. Intelligence, please indulge me with your wisdom as well as your reasoning for calling me a dumbass. Using proper grammar while amusingly attempting to insult my intelligence would be a fantastic start, sweet cheeks!

Last edited by transsam; 07-13-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Ouch!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01SS99red
Im will start off by saying you need to chill. I have seen the chrs1313 gain on every LS1 fbody it ever been installed on gaining as much as 3 mph personaly. If you think it doesnt work that your opinion but chill the **** out and dont bash something if you havent tested it yourself. To the op buy the chrs1313 ram go to the track and make 3 passes without it and then throw the ramair on and do the same I assure you will see real results. 1 example this was all done on the same day at the track with 60' all 1.6X. friends car224/224 cam full bolt ons without ramair 12.00 with ramair car went 11.79and then backed it with con. 11.82X rest of the afternoon. I
dont know how much better to explain that this product realy works period.
That is the narcissism in me I suppose. Originally I said it was a poorly designed product, or a scam. With what it can be built for, I would say we have an answer. I still don't buy it. A change in barometric pressure could pretty easily account for your "results." I'd need to see long term results with accurate density altitude records.

As much fun as it would be to listen to these "experts," expand on their ideas, I have grown weary of this thread. Most people who buy into it aren't worth the time it would take me to continue posting. Buy what you want, think what you want. I'm just glad I didn't spend $200 on it.

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
Has been tested by several including LS1 Speedinc
That is something I will regret about saying goodbye to the thread. It tested well by the company that sells it. Surely it must be amazing.

Goodbye, and to the OP, save your money and spend it on something that will give you what you want, as plenty of other people in here have attested to.

Last edited by transsam; 07-13-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And if you want to really wow everyone with your 'genius level IQ and extreme narcissistic tendencies' you might want remove the part about the university of Utah. Clearly you excelled when you made it there Tony (The Tiger). Keep reaching for the stars Sunny!

Here's some of your highlight threads..

Can an LS1 4th outdo the 5th?

Exhaust over the axle. What angles and pipe?

How do I change the alternator pulley? - Here's my favorite... Hope that one didnt perplex you too much big guy. Back to the coloring books...

Last edited by w3s1c0a5t; 07-13-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: FTRA vs. SLP vs. Free mod.