Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA vs. SLP vs. Free mod.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
And if you want to really wow everyone with your 'genius level IQ and extreme narcissistic tendencies' you might want remove the part about the university of Utah. Clearly you excelled when you made it there Tony (The Tiger). Keep reaching for the stars Sunny!

Here's some of your highlight threads..

Can an LS1 4th outdo the 5th?

Exhaust over the axle. What angles and pipe?

How do I change the alternator pulley? - Here's my favorite... Hope that one didnt perplex you too much big guy. Back to the coloring books...
You don't understand narcissism, do you? I transferred from UNLV because the degrees I wanted were better here. I have been accepted to and will begin my doctoral work at UCSD. If it bothers you that I chose to get my masters at an extremely well rated school under some of the best professors in the field. At the doctorate level, UCSD seemed more interesting, and with my 3.96, and extremely high testing, admission to UCSD was a breeze.
Giving you anything for those threads:
1. It takes some good suspension to outdo the 5th. Good luck beating the IRS. I'll apologize for that one if it upset you. I hadn't had the time between working as a T/A (could you land a position like that?) and on my other degrees to research something as unimportant as that question, and people here would know. I think if you have taken the time to look at my signature, you will see that I am well aware that a 4th can outdo a 5th, and that my 4th can outdo your 4th. The question boiled down to whether a car designed essentially completely in the late 70s could realistically compete with modern technology without spending loads of money.

2. I wanted angles so that I wouldn't have to do much. I will gladly show you the setup when it is done. It is innovative and will open some doors to new exhaust ideas.

3. The alternator spins, I was looking for a way to stop that.

And come on, I asked you to exhibit some grammatical prowess at the very least when insulting me. You have me laughing now that you don't know what narcissism is and knowing full well you will look it up on wikipedia and tell me that you are the genius. I won't be here. I am sorry to myself that I came back to indulge your fantasies that I am somehow inferior in any way to the likes of you. Ta.

Last edited by transsam; 07-13-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your so smart but you cant figure out how to change the alternator pulley on your own. LOL HAHAHAHA you are not as smart as you think pal.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
Its made from .035 guage aluminum that costs 35$. Takes 2.5 hours to make 1 intake.Has been tested by several including LS1 Speedinc to work better than anything currently avalable to purchase.Chris is a mechanical engineer for a air filtration company in the Chicagoland area.Maybe you can list your enginering background? Buy one or make your own,its up to everyone indvually.
So I guess my .0625 aluminum sheeting at $16 for 24x36" was just overkill, bought another piece at 12x24" for $6 for the scoop...took me 2hrs to make measuring twice cutting once. I could easily make another in 45min. Maybe I should start selling these for $140 and making some money. I think it's a great product idea and I feel gains can be had. Yes I sealed mine with the foam stuff, another $3. I just am glad I can fabricate my own.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

hahahahaha wheres chrs1313?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01SS99red
You're so smart, yet you can't figure out how to change the alternator pulley on your own? LOL HAHAHAHA You are not as smart as you think, pal.
Mensa would disagree with your assessment of my intelligence. And for anyone who is interested, the alternator pulley bolt spins with the insides of the alternator and with the pulley. It should not be hard to imagine why I wouldn't want to ruin the threads on the pulley by clamping it with a wrench.

This is narcissism; it is my impulsive need to prove my superiority. Why else would one apply for Mensa? I do hope this is the last time I choose to respond to anything in here. I haven't read an insult directed at me that holds any water.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transsam
Mensa would disagree with your assessment of my intelligence. And for anyone who is interested, the alternator pulley bolt spins with the insides of the alternator and with the pulley. It should not be hard to imagine why I wouldn't want to ruin the threads on the pulley by clamping it with a wrench.

This is narcissism; it is my impulsive need to prove my superiority. Why else would one apply for Mensa? I do hope this is the last time I choose to respond to anything in here. I haven't read an insult directed at me that holds any water.
Ok dumbass ,once again if you were as smart as you say, did you figure out that the pulley is easily removed with an impact gun . LOL
Old 07-13-2010, 11:06 PM
9 Second Club

+1 for the free mod. Why spend money on something that doesn't help over the free mod and covers your radiator?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slash8915
+1 for the free mod. Why spend money on something that doesn't help over the free mod and covers your radiator?
Look if you havent used this ramair how can you say it doesn't work and effects the cooling of the car. I can say first hand it doesn't make the car over heat one bit. I think to all the nay sayers if you havent tried it dont bash it and anyone looking to purchase one ask anyone who has used it if it truly works or not . +1 for a great ramair.

Last edited by 01SS99red; 07-14-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by transsam
You don't understand narcissism, do you?.
Apparently you don't either or you wouldn't be on here letting everyone know about your personality disorder. A narcissist doesn't come out and say he is a narcissist. Why? Because narcissism is about having feelings of inadequacy. This is leads the narcissist to inflate their own ego to make up for their own feelings of inadequacy. The narcissist is never to blame, it's always someone else who hurt, stopped, impeded, or derailed their plans.

If a driver cuts you off or doesn't yield to you...it's not because he was in a hurry or he fucked up. Nope, it was personal. He did it to spite you.
That's how a narcissist thinks. It's nothing to be proud of.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

I can see where both of the different view points are coming from. Personally I don't have the chris1313, it looks like a solid piece and is priced competitively with the others, so I have no problem with that, I even plan on purchasing it one day. No disrespect to transsam, but he seems like the type he has to see it to believe it, and there's nothing wrong with that.

There have been people post results and they have to be taken for what they're worth. To the OP, hands on experience is the best like what's been previously stated. Buy one of the ram air kits, go test it at the track with some back to back testing and see if you're satisfied with the results. If not sell it and chalk the 15-20 bucks up to a learning experience.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sandsk8erz400
I can see where both of the different view points are coming from. Personally I don't have the chris1313, it looks like a solid piece and is priced competitively with the others, so I have no problem with that, I even plan on purchasing it one day. No disrespect to transsam, but he seems like the type he has to see it to believe it, and there's nothing wrong with that.

There have been people post results and they have to be taken for what they're worth. To the OP, hands on experience is the best like what's been previously stated. Buy one of the ram air kits, go test it at the track with some back to back testing and see if you're satisfied with the results. If not sell it and chalk the 15-20 bucks up to a learning experience.
I agree. Modifying a car is a learning experience and unfortunately monetary cost is a part of that learning experience. I'm sure 99% of the members on this forum have parts laying around in their garage that didn't quite meet their expectations. Nobody is to blame, it's just the way it is. Look at LT headers for example. Some people report night and day difference and others report no difference in seat of the pants.

Back to the chris1313. I have the chris1313 RA. Is it overpriced? Maybe. But we have to remember he has to make money on this too. Sure the materials cost $30 but your also paying for his time, R&D, shipping, customer support, etc. It's not like he's out there to rip everybody off on LS1tech. The guy made something for his own personal use and decided to market it to the forum. He SHOULD make money from that.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

im just scared to drop 200 dollars on something i might or might not like. I guess ill just man up. lol But im definatly gonna buy a lid tho pretty soon and go from there. I appreciate all of yalls help. I will probably end up buying the chrs1313 a/c version. and when i do i will post my gains. Thanks again
Old 07-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

wow glad thats over lol it was gettin hot in this thread!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

**** we got a firefight up in here and nobody even pmed me...

to clear a few things up...

I made this back 3 years ago for my car to go faster and have over 15 track results showing that it works a-b test (yes da conditions, etc)...(with no intention to sell, I even posted probably 5 or more threads on just the track results, theory, and even pressure tests inside the lid after the filter showing a positive pressure when the car was under wot...while the stock setup showed vacuum levels)

then I got alot of pms and decided to make some...the material costs are around $35-40, each one takes me about 3-3.5 hrs(what do you guys make an hr at overtime rates ) and I do not get the whole 200 there is overhead for speed inc running a website, customer calls, employees, shipping, packaging, etc... plus I take pride in my work and would never send out an inferior product if I didn't know it works, no matter the cost...

sure you can make one for 40 bucks that is what I did in the first place...but if you don't want to drive and collect the materials plus gas, measure the openings, transfer the measurements to the aluminum, cut the aluminum, bend it, drill the holes, rivet it, and then hope it fits...that is who it is for...not everyone has the time, tools, patience, or just plain don't want to make one...they would just rather buy a product and strap it on...

by all means if you can do it yourself I am all for that...the sux2bu setup is good too for the diy person it has it's +/- for another option...

I will personally put up 5k of my own money for anyone that will bet that my non ac ram air shows no gain at the track over a stock breathing/free ram air setup...I stand by my word and will even run video of the bet if you like...now let's see who truly has results or who is talking out of their genius IQ *** ...

Last edited by chrs1313; 07-14-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

For anyone that is interested here are a couple threads i found from a while back

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...sults-tom.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...ng-around.html

and a thread about results/worth

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...air-worth.html
Old 07-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Banned

wow! what a great thread knocking a product that has proven itself over and over.

We will keep selling a great product and keep seeing our customers go faster for min money. This is one of the best bang for the buck mods I know.

note: we have seen 0 heat issues with the intakes

I'm going on vacation for a few days, so hope everyone plays nice
Old 07-14-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive had ZERO heat issues and its been in the 90's here..You know whats kinda cool? When starpping on the fan for the dyno feel the kit and feel the air being sucked up..Kinda cool..I'm very happy with the purchase

Quick Reply: FTRA vs. SLP vs. Free mod.