Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Does My Trans Am Run On The Hotter Side?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car used to do that stuff. then i changed the thermostat to a 160 and it still got insane hot like 235ish. we pulled the radiator cap and put some load on the engine by havin it in gear and revin on it with the brake on and it pushed out some nice bubbles.

so we thought head gaskets.

then the heads came off and sure enough it had 2 blown head gaskets

have you even thought it could be them?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like themostat is not opening all the way.Change it. Pull the radiator and clean it with some aircondion coil cleaner from HD or Ace hardware.Its for cleaning the coils on a home air unit.Spray it on,let it soak,then spray it off.Probably the combination of a few things,and the 90 degree days we are having.Put in fresh coolant and see if this helps.You could always put one bottle of Water Wetter,Speedinc carries it.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Canbarelygo
my car used to do that stuff. then i changed the thermostat to a 160 and it still got insane hot like 235ish. we pulled the radiator cap and put some load on the engine by havin it in gear and revin on it with the brake on and it pushed out some nice bubbles.

so we thought head gaskets.

then the heads came off and sure enough it had 2 blown head gaskets

have you even thought it could be them?
I think I would know if I had blown head gasktes. There would coolant in the oil.. Blow white smoke too
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chrs1313
I would pull the radiator Jonas and clean it real good...also make sure the condensor is spotless to since it is infront of the radiator...since the radiator will be pulled take the thermostat out and put it in some water on a stove and slowly heat it with a thermometer in the water to make sure it is opening 100 percent...

you should not have your fans on cruising above 35 and the temps should be alot lower...

maybe time to pull the ac haha...the hottest I ever get is 195 and that is stop and go traffic and I do not even have the bottom plastic air deflector on the car anymore...something up man my guess would be the thermo not opening all the way or dirty cond/rad...

let me know if you figure it out...you can always pull the ram air to rule that out too...
I;ve never pulled the radiator or condenser.. Wouldn't know where to start. LOL.. Plus I'm afraid that after I pull it and what not getting air in the system.. I wouldn't know how to get the air out..

Want to lend me a hand
Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just verified with StraightLine (mike the tuner there) that my fans are doing exactly what they should be doing.

LO is set to go on at 190, off at 180.. HIGH is set to go on at 210 and off at 200. So if my car never gets below 180 my LO will always be on..
Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think my radiator is fine. Doubt its clogged up. Like I said I did a coolant flush at the end of 2006, got a cam in 2007 so i had some more flushing going on. Since 2007 maybe put on 5k miles
Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Update

Well after figuring out the coolant flow, I have established that my cars coolant system is perfectly fine.

The passenger side head is on the suction side of the water pump making the coolant cooler when it hits the aftermarket sensor. So my water temperature gague is reading correctly. Yesterday it was about 84ºF outside, my aftermarket water temp gague was reading about 185ºF.

Now the drivers side head is on the discharge side, so the coolant gets heated up before it gets to the head and reads higher. Hence why my LO fan is on the majority of the time. And we know the sensor for the fans on the drivers side head is what sends a signal to the PCM to turn the fans on.

So there is my 35ºF temperature difference. And according to my buddies aftermarket water temp gague and chrs1313 aftermarket water temp gague mine is reading correct

And I challenge you all to see when your fans are running. If you have gotten the tuned to come on earlier you will see..

So for me my LO comes on at 190ºF and turns off at 180ºF.. My HI turns on at 210ºF and off at 200ºF

LO= both fans spinning (1 speed)
HI= both fans spinning (2 speed)

Quick Reply: Why Does My Trans Am Run On The Hotter Side?