Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car died

Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died

I have a 2000 Ws6 and the other night i was driving and started to hear a kind of whinning sound as i accelerated so i went to a store shut it off and when i tried to start it up again my gagues wont light up, my radio wont turn on it doesnt turn over or anything, i couldnt roll up my window but my interior and head lights work, Im thinking a fuse went but fear worse like ecu failure or something, ayone have any ideas?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your alternator took a **** and took your battery with it
Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree, sounds like the alt was whining and died...doesn't take much juice to light the interior light
Old 07-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Teching In

OK so i replaced the altenator and my ignition fuse because that was blown as well and i went to start it up and it blew the ignition fuse again, any ideas?
Old 07-17-2010, 03:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Things to check:

Corroded battery terminal. My pos terminal got really ugly thanks to a lot of humidity lately and hijinks ensued.

Ignition relay. It is in the fuse boxx and it could have taken a dump on you.

Fusible links. Under the fuse box in the engine bay. Look for any that look burned out.

Ignition switch. It is mid way down on the steering column near the pedals. Will require you drop (or pull) the steering column.

When you put the key in the ignition and turn it to start are you getting anything? Dash lights, interior/exterior lights (besides the dome), any clicking sounds besides the starter solenoid?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack.. But how hard was it to do the alt on the ground? I am assuming you didn't do it on a lift?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can get the front end high enough to wiggle under there (safely), doing the alt on the ground isn't so much hard as it is annoying. It helps to loosen the sway bar (or just remove it), but with a lot of coaxing, twisting, and turning that isn't completely necessary.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Yeah the alt was a piece of cake from the ground just make sure you get all the bolts and then just kinda wiggle it out. When i replace the fuse and go to start it all my light light up and the radio turns on but as soon as i go to turn it over the ignition fuse just blows and then i got nothing
Old 07-17-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It may be your starter then.

Go out to the car and pull the starter relay (not a fuse, the black box looking thing in the fuse panel, you have 2, one says starter, the other says ign). Then try and start the car. If your ignition fuse doesn't blow, then your starter is probably bad and its solenoid is trying to draw to many amps.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Teching In

I pulled the relay and the fuse didn't blow so im waiting to get a new starter and slap it in, is there anything else it could be?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbbTransAM
Yeah the alt was a piece of cake from the ground just make sure you get all the bolts and then just kinda wiggle it out. When i replace the fuse and go to start it all my light light up and the radio turns on but as soon as i go to turn it over the ignition fuse just blows and then i got nothing
Did ya leave your sway bar on.. I've been utting off doing my alt I really need to get it done
Old 07-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Teching In

You dont have to mess with anything but the alt, it really isnt hard just look up the photo's on this site on how to do it and you'll be fine. And I found out what my problem was, my headers melted the plastic housing around the ground for my starter and it started to weld itself to my headers causing the short.

Search this Thread