Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could this be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could this be?

Last summer, driving along, the gear shifter started shaking badly...felt like i was down a cylinder. Limped home and discovered that a valve spring had cracked. Mech said no damage was done and replaced the spring with the proper replacement (aftermarket cam in the car). All has been good and the car had run great for a year.

Lately every once in a while the car would start and run a little rough and I would hear some popping in the exhaust. I would sit in the car and rev it to about 2k for 30 seconds and the problem would go away. It would not happen once the car was warm and it would not happen all the time on start up either. I was thinking a coil was binding up or something. Today driving along the shifter starts shaking badly again and im definitely down a cylinder again.

Off the top of my head I'm tempted to go out and buy an MSD coil set with wires but what do you guys think? Should I do that or wait for a proper diagnosis at the end of the week?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any SES codes being thrown, or is the light itself on?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No lights being thrown...its swapped into an rx7 and its not set up to show that on the dash I guess.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no need for msd coils,pull your valve covers and check all your valve springs.or check for bent push rods.

Last edited by garygnu; 07-17-2010 at 07:17 PM.