Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutouts. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colonel
"first pull was with all closed
2nd pull was with just the back one open
3rd pull was with all 3 open."

I hope you take this in the helpful manner in which it's intended but here's a suggestion so that you get a more accurate understanding of what really happened.

1. Get the engine and drivetrain (drivetrain takes longer) up to normal driving temperature. This means driving it for a good half hour I would think.

2. Dyno 4 pulls with the single cuttout open. Take the highest reading.

3. Allow the engine to cool back to the starting temp of the first pull.

4. Dyno 4 pulls with all three cuttouts open. Take the highest reading.

Be sure to use a diagnostic scanner to monitor timing advance and O2 readings. Better yet, use a wideband. Keep the fuel/air mixture between 13:1 and 13.3:1.

I think you'll see that there is little to no difference in power between 1 and 3 cuttouts UNLESS you have a restriction between the 2 cuttouts and the single, such as a restrictive sized I-pipe.
this was at a dyno day with a bunch of the guys, i havent been able to goto a dyno by myself and pay for it.

i have a custom y-pipe made with no cats and with a cutout on each side of the y-pipe and then the cutout on the i-pipe and stock muffler. ive always gained about 15 rwhp with just the cutout on the i-pipe and this is my first dyno since having the 2 on the y-pipe. my a/f ratio was around 12.5 on all pulls. the car was fully warmed up. i always make sure espcially with the white one because of the cam and heads it has and the electric water pump.

thanks for the input
Old 01-22-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is worth it, cheap hp mod! I didn't dyno with it capped, but I'd say probably 10 rwhp on a stock car. I made 302 rw w/ a lid & cut out on a '98 Z A4. Car definately has more top end pull with it uncapped.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pdd
i decided not to get them. emissions seems like a problem up here in mass
You're in MA? Cool, so am I. I've had electric cutouts for years, never had a problem with emissions - why would you? Just close it so it's not too loud. Or just take it off temporarily (15 min job) and cap the cutout. I plan on adding them to my C5 too.

Dope
Old 01-22-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool

I only picked up a tenth (.10) and half a mph at the track over the stock exhaust. Don't even use it anymore. Don't know what the dyno#'s were.

Last edited by highgear; 01-22-2004 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: cutouts. worth it?