Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Descreen or don't descreen

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, dont, many have done it with no issue, but just save for things like a lid or exhaust. I mean some guys are getting ppretty testy about it on here, im sure thier are gains to be had, but its like jumping into a ring with a bull, some have made it out just fine and some have had a horn shoved up thier ***, why take the chance. When u start getting into things like speed-density tunes and **** like that, u normally have a better understanding of how it all works and can make educated decisions like that on ur own, nowing the concequences.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesn't matter if you have a good air filter or not, i found little rubber seal pieces from the lid on my screen, stopped em all and now the car runs great... not worth it.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Descreen, im going OLSD any way
Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I'd be less worried about screen or no screen and more worried about sealing the airbox properly

if **** that large is getting in you have much larger problems and might as well not be using a filter
Pretty much...using the MAF screen as a backup air filter is sort of ignoring the whole issue of allowing dirty air in past the regular filter in the first place, or being incapable of or too lazy to make sure everything is buttoned up properly after working on the car. Four tabs and two latches....these lids aren't exactly hard to get back on right.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Element
Pretty much...using the MAF screen as a backup air filter is sort of ignoring the whole issue of allowing dirty air in past the regular filter in the first place, or being incapable of or too lazy to make sure everything is buttoned up properly after working on the car. Four tabs and two latches....these lids aren't exactly hard to get back on right.
I just gave an example of why this isn't the case, you guys are being a little pompous. My filter is sealed perfectly and I agree that people should be able to figure it out. However the stock seal on the lid right before the MAF is after the filter and i had little pieces show up on my screen, i'm glad it's not in the motor somewhere regardless if it would be serious or not.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by thatguy383
I just gave an example of why this isn't the case, you guys are being a little pompous. My filter is sealed perfectly and I agree that people should be able to figure it out. However the stock seal on the lid right before the MAF is after the filter and i had little pieces show up on my screen, i'm glad it's not in the motor somewhere regardless if it would be serious or not.
listen to this guy. Im not saying use it for a backup for big peices and let dirt in. i already said **** happens. What if a peice of the filter comes off or something stupid just like happend to the guy I quoted