Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post header install, car bogging

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Post header install, car bogging

After my header and plug install, when my car pulls in to a parking space it starts to bog. Really anything at a low RPM involving the power steering pump power drain. It doesn't die, but definitely bogs. I pulled codes from my computer, while the light is off, I've got codes from both front O2s. Could the extensions be too long? Is my .55 gap too small?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure the 02's are definitly hooked up to the front plugs,not the rear ones..Front 02 codes will put the car into limp mode and run like crap..
Old 01-22-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The thing is, she doesn't run like crap, WOT is pretty damn strong.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Dunno how long you have been driving it after the install, but if you do not do an idle relearn 'drive cycle', you may get eradic results for a FEW miles. Then the car should relearn and be fine.

FWIW,
SSN8R
Old 01-23-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's been about 300 miles.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT. anyone?
Old 01-24-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShadowLightCSU
TTT. anyone?
Im right there with you after my Pacesetter LT and ORY install. My guess is that the a/f is off a bit. Im just going to break down and get a dyno tune. Your problem sounds almost exactly like mine. Get it autotapped and check it out.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had no problems whatsoever with mine immediatly after installing them so i doubt its a tuning issue though if you dont have the o2's mixed up like what was said im not really sure what to tell you.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AF is possible, before I get dynoed, probably should see about some ways to get more air in? Like TB?
Old 01-25-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
i had no problems whatsoever with mine immediatly after installing them so i doubt its a tuning issue though if you dont have the o2's mixed up like what was said im not really sure what to tell you.
Some cars just have no issues after LT's, some do. Its just the luck of the draw really.

SHADOWLIGHT- I doubt just porting or adding a different TB will help your situation at the present. Your PCM is thrown off because of the addition of LT's to your car. Adding a TB might even throw it off more.

The factory PCM can only adjust to changes to a certain point; even more so with a car such as mine, being that the 98's had more restrictive manifolds than later year models. Not to mention the deletion of the CATS which also frees up the restriction as well. So when you add LT's and delete the cats, the stock programming cannot adjust to such a great change. Although, some PCM's seems to adjust better than others, which might be the case with foff667's set up.

The PCM will adjust slightly the more you drive the car, but some mods are just to much as far as change and variables are concerned. For instance, if someone went from Hooker shorties to Hooker LT's the change in A/F would be minimal so the stock PCM could adjust within those parameters. There are always other variables that could be the problem. My reasoning and my examples are in a "best" case scenario. One could have a bad O2 sensor, or an O2 sensor might not be screwed in far enough, or your extentions could be bad, etc, etc.

However, dyno tuning can diagnose and/or fix all of these problems through trial and error, so that is why I've opted to get a professional to give my car a baseline tune. First, for the headers, and secondly, for all my future mods.

If one knows where to begin, one can more easily find the end.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think it could be the PCM just disliking the headers, she ran like a champ with the Macs I used to have. Would it be almost a safe bet to assume the sensors got banged up?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Headers shouldn't cause a problem like you described. Have you checked all the connections plugs, wiring etc.... To me it sounds like the EGR is taking a crap. Do you still have EGR??
Old 01-26-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I do, would a couple loose bolts cause that? I was working on the y-pipe when my friend was finishing up on that.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Check the tube going into the intake manifold. Theres a rubber seal that could have got kinked...make sure its seated good. That happen to me. I fixed it that..but I still had the problem of the rpms dropping like you described. I ended up replacing my egr fixed the problem. Not sure whats going on with yours though since your pulling o2 codes. Hit me up if your on AIM LS1MONSTER
Old 01-26-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Does it only happen when your at idle or very low speeds?? Do the RPMs kick back up when it happens? Feels like car is trying to save itself?
Old 01-31-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is exactly what happens.

I'll check that tube, that might be an easy fix.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:51 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you disconnect your battery during the install? I don't care what anybody says, anytime you install some of the bigger mods on your car, disconnect your battery. I disconnect both +/- terminals and connect the two together with some test leads. It's supposed to clear all memory in the computer, as well as take out any static electricity in the PCM.

Now this may not be your problem, but like I said, I do it everytime. I've never had a problem, car runs awesome. Go back through your install and keep it simple.

Did you use 02 sims?

Rob
Old 01-31-2004, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Did you disconnect your battery during the install?
Rob

Rob, won't this kill the radio memory, causing me to have to pay through the nose to have GM send me the unlock code?
Old 01-31-2004, 06:11 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, well I still have my radio card. It's never been a problem, if you don't have it, it's something that is useful anyhow. I'm not sure of what GM number to call on the telephone, but there is a radio VIN on the back of your HU. Get that, and you should be able to call and do it all over the phone.

It's pretty much a necessity to disconnect the battery during a major install. Without doing so, it confuses the PCM and has to go into WTF mode for awhile, until it figures out what the hell happened.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I reset the computer already, no soup for me! Might try it again.

Quick Reply: Post header install, car bogging