Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tube Header cat location

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long Tube Header cat location

While shopping for catted Y pipes, I have noticed some of more expensive brands like Kooks or American locate the cats right behind the collector, while other more affordable brands like TSP and LPP locate the drivers side cat in the bend.

I would perfer the cats be located directly behind the collector. I have to pass a visiual emissions and it seams they would let that fly before the TSP style. Plus I think it looks better.

Now, I was thinking instead of paying the $550 some dollars for the Kooks pipe I could get one custom fabbed up by a local shop with some magnaflow cats and a flowmaster Y.

I guess my question is, How does Kooks get away with locating the cats behind the collectors while so many other brands have them after the bend. I assume it is a space restriction but can't tell for sure yet because I have not installed headers and am not sure exactly where the collector will locate. I am only going from pictures. Anyone have any undercarriage shots with the cats located directly behind the header?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

OK, does anyone has any experiance with the Kooks catted Y pipe. How is the fitment and ground clearance.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Launching!

ARH catted Y-pipe here. Tons of ground clearance.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ARH has the best Y for these cars IMO.....
Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had lpp lts and ory, i had magnaflow cats put on it cuz it was just to loud for my taste...i just cut out the ends of the y that go up to the collectors and welded them to the y, mines 3in exhaust i dont know how its even possible to put it in the bend because that section is flattened out to give u more ground clearence...seems to me itd be pretty stupid to put a big round cat in the middle of that

but anyway i have not had any problems other than the fact my uncle cant weld..
Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have to have a visual and they do their job correctly then you will not pass no matter what y pipe you go with unless its stock. You need to find a place where they dont give a **** lol
Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
i had lpp lts and ory, i had magnaflow cats put on it cuz it was just to loud for my taste...i just cut out the ends of the y that go up to the collectors and welded them to the y, mines 3in exhaust i dont know how its even possible to put it in the bend because that section is flattened out to give u more ground clearence...seems to me itd be pretty stupid to put a big round cat in the middle of that

but anyway i have not had any problems other than the fact my uncle cant weld..
So there were no clearance problems with the cats there?

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
If you have to have a visual and they do their job correctly then you will not pass no matter what y pipe you go with unless its stock. You need to find a place where they dont give a **** lol
It's a visual, but very lax, if they see cats under there most will probably sign it off. I always get my car inspected at the same place and they usually don't even look, but they may if it suddenly gets way louder.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a QTP pipe with the cat after the bend. This is what I don't want

Old 08-15-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not sure after reading this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/7248595-post9.html

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
ARH has the best Y for these cars IMO.....
Old 08-15-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or just vote with your feet and MOVE!

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i welded a set of the 3" thunder cats onto my off road y. i put one right at the collecter and one in the bend, it passed inspection. also, it did get rid of the rasp
Old 08-20-2010, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

The BBK headers use the stock location I believe, as the headers and Y pipe bolt right up to stock cats.