Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX intake gains versus TPIS or similar intake mods....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LSX intake gains versus TPIS or similar intake mods....

Where do the majority of the gains lie with the LSX intake, is it the runner design, or the fact that the TB opening is larger? Having seen gains from the TPIS intake that were similar to that of the LSX (some higher, some lower), it seems to me that most of the gains come more from the increased TB area than the intake runner difference itself, right? Would an LS6 intake that has been ported and a modified entry point to accomodate a larger TB provide equal gains as those of an LSX intake?

Shawn
Old 01-23-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it depends on the setup. From what I've seen, on a H/C setup, the TB isn't quite maxed out. I mean, it's causeing somewhat of a restriction but the sucking engine is drawing from the intake first and therefore the intake becomes the restriction before the TB has the chance to. So, we install a better flowing intake and that brings us up to the power that the TB will allow. There is room here so we see a descent gain.

Now, a larger engine (and therefore a much harder sucking engine) is able to draw enough through the intake despite it's restrictivness to cause the TB to become a serious restriction even with the LS6 intake in place. So when we replace the intake there is still little room for the flow to grow since the TB was maxed out to begin with.

If I'm right, the larger CI engines will most certainly benefit a good bit from the 90mm TBs and I wouldn't be surprised to see the stronger H/C packages pick up a little power as well.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm thinking for a H/C setup, fwiw...

So you think the intake is more restrictive than the TB? What about the TPIS gains, the only difference is the TB and TB opening, and H/C cars gained 7-20+ rwhp, wouldn't that lead one to believe that the TB is the restriction, or at least the inake where the TB "neck" is? I just can't see forking out another $800 for the gains that this intake has shown, especially since I already have a modded LS6 intake, and its paid for.

Shawn
Old 01-23-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

These are my mods, think I'd be much better off with an LSX than a 78mm TB and a modded LS6 intake, and if so, how much?

Mods (2002 M6):

FTRA
MTI Lid
K & N Filter
SLP Bellows
SLP 85mm MAF
AS 78mm ported TB
AS modded LS6 intake (ported and enlarged TB opening)
ASP Pulley
JWISS Chain
TR chromemoly pushrods
AS Stg 2.5 5.3l heads, Comp 977s
LGM G5X3 cam
Comp "R" lifters
Meziere EWP
Yella Terra 1.7 rocker arms
overflow/catch can
Hooker Headers, QTP dual cutout y-pipe
Hooker Catback
Pro 5.0 shifter
SLP fan switch
Harlan 2 step
Autotap
BMR SFCs
Billingsley PHB, LCAs
Hals, springs
12 bolt, 4.30, Eaton HD, 33 spline
Wolfe weld in 6 pt rollbar, dual swingouts
Old 01-23-2004, 04:57 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO, none of the current available intakes are worth the gain on a heads/cam car. I'm gonna wait it out till the LS2 intakes come out. Word is they'll be better than the LSX and cheaper too....
Old 01-23-2004, 06:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After testing the LSX,this is what I've come up with.

The big restriction on the LS6 is the throttle body opening(runner behing the TB)
The LSX is totally open behind the TB which is where I think the gain is.
Also the lid,piping and MAF become a restriction on H/C cars.
Hopefully soon I'll build on this,but not until I run the 90mm LSX to see how much the TB restricts.