Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for LT's

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing for LT's

I plan on getting some LT's and ORY pipe before the end of the year. I had bought some o"reillys auto parts plug wires, but decided to take them back, bad fitment, just didn't care for them or the price. My question is, are the MSD wires what I should be buying since I am getting the LT's. Here is the link for the ones I am looking at. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32819/

Also these say they fit LS1 also, and a bunch of other LS series motors, what is the difference between these and the ones above. Other than color, and the obvious. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32813/
Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stock plug wires would work...but if you want a quality plug wire, get MSD. While you have the manifolds off, I'd suggest doing the spark plugs too.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by egott_91
Stock plug wires would work...but if you want a quality plug wire, get MSD. While you have the manifolds off, I'd suggest doing the spark plugs too.
Yeah I just changed the plugs, but hell I might as well change them again, when everything is apart. Anybody know the difference between the 2 in the links I provided? I would prefer the red ones simply for the color. lol
Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd imagine the only difference is the color...all the other specs are called out as the same. I don't think there's really any difference between any plug wires out there for LS1 cars...I've heard good and bad things about all of them. I'm running a set of Comp Cams wires and haven't had any issues with them.

You may want to look at some high-temp spark plug boot protectors, too.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call MSD and find out the wire lengths on both -- I am not sure if the stock length is ideal with LT headers or not...

Note that the 32819 version IS LS1 specific...
Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I am gonna buy some of the red MSD's with the plugs from a member on here. I just gotta call him and do it. Where would I get a boot protector for the MSD's? What header bolts should I buy and is there anything else I need? How big of a difference do the LT's make on the butt dyno?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
Yeah I am gonna buy some of the red MSD's with the plugs from a member on here. I just gotta call him and do it. Where would I get a boot protector for the MSD's? What header bolts should I buy and is there anything else I need? How big of a difference do the LT's make on the butt dyno?
Jegs and Summit both have the boot protectors, various brands at each site.

Pick up a set of GM MLS exhaust gaskets, and it probably wouldn't hurt to buy some stock exhaust bolts, depending on the brand of headers you're going with.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

clean the bolts and threads in the heads and re-use them with the gaskets, you don't need to use boot protectors i've never had an issue with them gettin to hot and i've never heard of anyone having that issue. depending on the tuner and the dyno you might see at most 15-20rwhp depending on muffler also, a cut-put will get you the most but when you close it you'll lose that power until you open it again
Old 08-20-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by King Nothing
clean the bolts and threads in the heads and re-use them with the gaskets, you don't need to use boot protectors i've never had an issue with them gettin to hot and i've never heard of anyone having that issue. depending on the tuner and the dyno you might see at most 15-20rwhp depending on muffler also, a cut-put will get you the most but when you close it you'll lose that power until you open it again
People have melted spark plug boots (myself included) with long tubes.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Element
People have melted spark plug boots (myself included) with long tubes.
which one????? my number 3 is pretty close to the header
Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The spark plug boots would be good insurance. I will probably buy some new header bolts and maybe some new gaskets. Car has 150,000 miles on it so stuff has seen better days. I want to do everything correct the first time so I don't have any problems later, try to keep the "**** happens" factor down. Thats why I am gonna start buying the stuff over a small period of time. Doesn't look as expensive to my wife that way. lol
From what I read my exhaust manifolds are worse than the 00-02, and my cats are prolly sucking some power away as well. I have a borla catback and a manual cutout, so I should see some gains on the SOTP meter. I would guess its gonna be very loud.
Can you use the OEM boot protectors with the MSD's?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

which one????? my number 3 is pretty close to the header
That's the one that melted on mine.

Can you use the OEM boot protectors with the MSD's?
That I'm not sure of...wouldn't have helped my boot where it melted, though.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

"Power" is relative, and at what RPMs -- people love to talk so vaguely about power and the cutout open -- it's likely just upper RPMS with a cutout open, loosing power at lower RPMS...

depending on the tuner and the dyno you might see at most 15-20rwhp depending on muffler also, a cut-put will get you the most but when you close it you'll lose that power until you open it again
Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
"Power" is relative, and at what RPMs -- people love to talk so vaguely about power and the cutout open -- it's likely just upper RPMS with a cutout open, loosing power at lower RPMS...
I feel like with my cutout open I get a lil more up top and lose some down low. So I agree with you there. With a M6 around town you can tell the difference. I would probably use mine more if I didn't have to get under the car and mess with it. Not for the power, but for the extra loud sound that comes with it.
I was thinking about buying a chris ram air kit, or something to that nature, but the car IMO is plenty fast once going 50mph or so. I want to concentrate on power at all levels. Not something that works better the faster I go. I actually want to do a cheatr cam over the LT's, but I know thats the wrong order for modding.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

if your saying what i said is wrong you might want to go check with your local dyno shop . . . i'm not talkin about usable power throughout the band, i'm talkin about peak power will be more through a cut-out VS all the way through a choked catback. if thats not what your sayin then my apologies
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I feel like with my cutout open I get a lil more up top and lose some down low. So I agree with you there. With a M6 around town you can tell the difference. I would probably use mine more if I didn't have to get under the car and mess with it. Not for the power, but for the extra loud sound that comes with it.
I was thinking about buying a chris ram air kit, or something to that nature, but the car IMO is plenty fast once going 50mph or so. I want to concentrate on power at all levels. Not something that works better the faster I go. I actually want to do a cheatr cam over the LT's, but I know thats the wrong order for modding.
The fun thing with an M6 is, you can put the powerband about where ever you want it, at any time, which is why 110 or 112LSA cams, which concentrate the powerband more, work better with M6 cars.

Having power down low is nice, but I don't race at 2000rpms.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, I am agreeing you will make more power cutout open in upper RPMs, and loose power in lower RPMs with the cutout also open...

if your saying what i said is wrong you might want to go check with your local dyno shop . . . i'm not talkin about usable power throughout the band, i'm talkin about peak power will be more through a cut-out VS all the way through a choked catback. if thats not what your sayin then my apologies
Old 08-21-2010, 02:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

i ran the standard ls1 MSD wires and still used the original aluminum plug sleeves..no melting at all here.

i had a cut out on my stock exhaust picked up 2 tenths with it in the 1/4. i then bought a quality cat back and got rid of the cutout...picked a lil over 3 tenths. after that i was not a firm believer in the cut out as a valid performance option.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes, I am agreeing you will make more power cutout open in upper RPMs, and loose power in lower RPMs with the cutout also open...
than my apologies, carry on
Old 08-21-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO

i had a cut out on my stock exhaust picked up 2 tenths with it in the 1/4. i then bought a quality cat back and got rid of the cutout...picked a lil over 3 tenths. after that i was not a firm believer in the cut out as a valid performance option.

Way too many variables at the track to do an honest comparison. Back to back dyno runs is really the only way, which have been done numerous times.

Heck you could see a gain from just taking a big **** in the morning, as opposed to not taking one at all.