Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno test of a Stock LS6, TPIS LS6, & FAST

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question

Thanks for the testing and sharing the info.

I'm assuming that neither the base LS6 intake or the TPIS LS6 intake were ported? Could yield even more yet out of each of those if ported possibly.

Did there appear to be any areas not mating up when putting the oval TPIS TB against the round hole of the FAST intake...as related to what others have asked about turbulence?
Old 01-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Launching!

good posts

it would of have been good to see some MAP readings if anyone else is testing soon
Old 01-24-2004, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kudos to you J-Rod for taking the time and initiative to perform the tests.

I am assuming thats on a G5X package correct?

Lou has commented on this board on doing a lot of R&D to make the whole package (i.e heads, cam, intake, exhaust) work together which makes me wonder.

Do you think the whole package performance was adversly affected as a result of the change in runner design? Not necessary a drop in runner velocity, but a change in flow dynamics. I would assume all the testing to develop the G5X series of cams was done with the LS6 intake.

That also brings up a flip side. Is the LSX still leaving power on the table? Could improved valve events bring the heads and intake flow dynamics back in synch. and out perform the LS6?

Those questions are probably more for Lou G.. Hopefully LG, EDC or Cstraub will chime in with their thoughts.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think what's really disappointing right now are all of these erratic and inconsistent results with these intakes.

J-Rod picked up 7rwhp from the LS6 to TPIS intake/TB swap, yet when LG originally posted results of the TPIS intake/TB, he picked up like 20rwhp and almost 20rwtq And these are both LG heads/cam packages. See this post for reference: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/120804-new-numbers-before-after-wide-oval-manifold-tb-w-g5x-3-a.html

I don't understand how there can be such a big variance. I guess only time will tell as more people get these things installed.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the cars that picked up more hp were retuned after the new intake was installed and the lower #`s are from just bolting it on .But I could be wrong on that.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:11 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by offaxis
I think the cars that picked up more hp were retuned after the new intake was installed and the lower #`s are from just bolting it on .But I could be wrong on that.
Unless the A/F is off, what is there to retune at WOT? I agree there may be some tuning for idle and part throttle with a big TB, but I don't think there is all that much to do. LG didn't retune with the TPIS manifold on his car. I may do some tuning on the car for the reasons listed above, and if I make any more power I'll report it.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

great info!!! definately makes me want to wait on changing my ls6 out.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

There isn't any required tuning needed for an LSX intake swap. I really don't know why people keep saying that. The MAF in front of the intake still monitors the amount of flow, and this lets the PCM adjust for the proper A/F ratio. Custom tuning is mostly for drivability issues, and you would only really require a re-tune if you did something like change injector sizing.

Question 2, why is the TPiS intake so expensive? Can we just buy the snout?
Old 01-24-2004, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
There isn't any required tuning needed for an LSX intake swap. I really don't know why people keep saying that. The MAF in front of the intake still monitors the amount of flow, and this lets the PCM adjust for the proper A/F ratio. Custom tuning is mostly for drivability issues, and you would only really require a re-tune if you did something like change injector sizing.

Question 2, why is the TPiS intake so expensive? Can we just buy the snout?
Thats good to know . If i payed 900 for a manifold and 400 for a tb I would hate to have to spend a few hundred more for a retune.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Thanks for taking the time and money and coming up with some good information that will help all us LS1 guys out. I hope a lot of people didn't get carried away by the promotion of the fast intake and spend all that money for little or no gains. After some more R&D, maybe they can perfect these intakes that will show positive gains. Maybe there is some tuning that can be tweaked, not really sure though. I'm going to spend my money elsewhere for the time being. I guess my question is how did Thunder get those big gains with just the 78mm fast intake?

Thanks again J-Rod. I will be following these post the next few months while I'm in the process of the G5X-3 cam and head package. These results were considerably useful since they were compared to the same setup I will be going with.

Will
Old 01-24-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Until the TBs made for the 90MM intake come out, there's really no final judgement to be called. Even then, there may be HP gained with port matching, etc.

Give it time folks.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

I thought the 90mm FAST was for strokers, not stock cubes. Possibly it was overkill. Maybe you would have seen better gains with a 78mm intake. This is just a strong h/c motor, right?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Plum Crazy Rob
Oops on the circle. You have diameter in there, not radius - 45 mm
DOH! It was midnight, I was tired lol

I fixed it. Thanks man. Still, 90MM TB can flow more
Old 01-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Way to go J-Rod and thanks to MTI for the use of their equipment. This info is exactly what everyone is looking for!
#1 It was performed by an end user, not a re-seller.
#2 Your car has pulled awsome #'s on more than one dyno, proving that LG has put together an awsome combo!
#3 Our cars ARE NOT starving for air, so 95% of us can bolt on a LS6 Intake and polished TB and be happy. The other 5% can bolt on the latest and greatest whether its makes power or not.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
DOH! It was midnight, I was tired lol

I fixed it. Thanks man. Still, 90MM TB can flow more
Dat's ok
I deleted the other post so nobody will know ...your point that the circular 90 can flow more is still completely valid. Great info from you and J-rod in this thread, and I agree completely that we need to see a test of the FAST with the 90 mm TB it was designed for on it. The torque is so far off on the FAST with TPIS TB, which to me indicates there is a problem as you said...
Old 01-24-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

j-rod you are running a g5x3? and absolute speed heads right??? great #'s man
Old 01-24-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Great thread. Interesting. I'm stting on the sidelines.....more info.
joel
Old 01-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks J Rod, you havent made it any easier I have to decide this week if to get the 90mm intake and TB as my window of oppurtunity is rapidly approaching.

Colonels comments regarding TB size to cubic inch capacity etc make a lot of sense and as off yet we are to see any results on larger cubed motors 400 plus CID.

Its a helluva lot of money to ship one half way round the world only to find the LS6 is just as good.

Hey heres a thought LSX is a sponser what about a money back guarantee on performance.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GTBMad
Colonels comments regarding TB size to cubic inch capacity etc make a lot of sense and as off yet we are to see any results on larger cubed motors 400 plus CID.
The FAST 90MM TBs aren't out yet so we really can't get a true representations of gains without it on the big cube motors.

The FAST 78 MM has had really good results on stock CID with the regular ported-stock 78MM TB. It has shown to be a consistent gain over the LS6 throughout the RPM range.

It's doing it's job on the bolt on cars but we can't rule it out until we can get the 90MM TB from FAST tested on the FAST 90MM version. Then we'll have a baseline to stem from which we can see what port matching, etc can yield.

We all just need patience
Old 01-24-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the test was great but you need to test the FAST 90mm with the 90mm intake. The T-body will be an integral part of the equation.

Great work though!

Quick Reply: Dyno test of a Stock LS6, TPIS LS6, & FAST