Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how BADLY will non coated/non stainless headers rust? headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Just how BADLY will non coated/non stainless headers rust?

Considering a set of non coated/non stainless steel headers (Pacesetters/Flowtech etc.) and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these and their tendency to rust quickly.
I was planning on spraying them with multiple coats of high temp primer and Rustoleum before installing them although I'm sure much of it will burn off in a matter of miles. And of course the insides will be bare metal and could rust badly as well.
My car gets driven less than 2000 miles a year and is garaged full time.

Will they still rust so badly so quickly that they will become virtually useless in a year?

Will the inside of the headers corrode just as quickly (or quicker) as the exposed outsides?

I'm looking at a $270.00 pair of headers versus some $800.00+ stainless steel ones and unless there is like a 10hp+ gain/difference between the two (I'm sure there isn't) I'm having a hard time justifying the cost difference.
Coated headers are out of the question because they're at least $100.00+ more (I'd sooner just step up to the plate and get stainless then) and they still rust.
Anyone?

Last edited by LS1LT1; 01-24-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:29 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your car see's NJ winters spring for the coated. if not then the uncoated should be fine. but with the price of pacesetters coated i dont see any reason to go for the uncoated, you cant beat the 375 for coated pacesetters.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
My car gets driven less than 2000 miles a year and is garaged full time......Coated headers are out of the question because they're at least $100.00+ more (I'd sooner just step up to the plate and get stainless then) and they still rust.
If your car never sees bad weather, even the uncoated, non-stainless will still hold up for quite a while.

And as far as the coating, so long as it's a good quality coating, it does not rust if the car never sees any bad weather. Maybe after 20 years or so. I've had coated headers on cars that did not see rain or snow, and other than the coating turning a dullish white/sliver, they never deteriorated any further even after years of being used.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:24 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
And as far as the coating, so long as it's a good quality coating, it does not rust if the car never sees any bad weather.
Yes I figured that, but I'm assuming at the prices they're charging for them the Pacesetters and Flowtechs aren't going to have great quality coating jobs on them.
Even the Hookers/Jet Hots have rusted prematurely, badly rusted in some cases.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:33 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran non-coated Macs for 2 yrs and they didn't have a bit of rust on them when I pulled them off....

josh
Old 01-24-2004, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
I ran non-coated Macs for 2 yrs and they didn't have a bit of rust on them when I pulled them off....
I've seen some other Macs that have held up as well, the ones with Mac's own coating (not the greatest coating) hold up even better possibly.
But Macs are a thicker steel/thicker tubing I think if that means anything.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the un-coated headers on my 91 Mustang, installed in 91, while rusted still perform great. This car has never seen the inside of a garage, it remains outdoor in the Texas weather (no snow and salt helps).
Old 01-24-2004, 01:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,227 Posts

I've seen some other Macs that have held up as well, the ones with Mac's own coating (not the greatest coating) hold up even better possibly.
But Macs are a thicker steel/thicker tubing I think if that means anything.
Macs are 16 gauge I beleive. Hookers are 18 (thin). I think all mild steel LS1 headers are between 14-18 gauge, with most being 16. Not sure what gauge the stainless LS1 headers on the market are though.

My Bassanis are a nice thick 14 gauge, which is a big part of the reason I bought them (14 gauge, high quality ceramic coating, and never any exposure to rain/snow/salt means they should last me a life time).
Old 01-24-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it's not over yet but my coated pacesetters are holding up perfectly since about september. my car, unfortunately is my only one so they have been wet, covered in salt and the like. i had the car up on a lift 2 days ago and theyre stil bright silver.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Macs are 16 gauge I beleive. Hookers are 18 (thin). I think all mild steel LS1 headers are between 14-18 gauge, with most being 16.
Yes, I get the impression that the Pacesetters (and the new Flowtechs) are of a thinner gauge than the Macs and most other LS1 headers out there but that's ok, they'll be lighter.

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
well it's not over yet but my coated pacesetters are holding up perfectly since about september. my car, unfortunately is my only one so they have been wet, covered in salt and the like. i had the car up on a lift 2 days ago and theyre stil bright silver.
Nice, that's good to hear, thanks.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

That paint we'll be gone in about 2 miles. If you live anywhere other than the desert the moisture in the air will start the rusting process. Get coated headers. They're purty.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

I've got the non ceramic coated mac's and they have rusted pretty bad. They've only been installed about a year and the car hasnt seen ANY bad weather. In fact it was in storage for 6 months of that time while I was overseas. I may have got a bad set or something but either way I'm swapping to a set of Jet Hots soon.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

marc ya know you couldve asked me id say definitly spring for the coated...ive already started to see some minor surface rust on my collectors, but keep in mind i drive my car everyday even in this crappy weather we're having so it sees a ton of salt day in and day out.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 2.5 year old noncoated macs have no rust on them
Old 01-24-2004, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

When I bought my MAC's I stripped of the stock coating and sprayed on some Eastwood Hi-Temp header coating. It works remarkably well with no rust; the key is to prep the surface properly and use light coats (no need to cake it on).
Old 01-24-2004, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by foff667
marc ya know you couldve asked me
I know, but you have the coated ones which I know will show some rust...I'm more curious about the bare metal ones.

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
my 2.5 year old noncoated macs have no rust on them
THAT'S what I wanna hear!

Originally Posted by BLKTA
When I bought my MAC's I stripped of the stock coating and sprayed on some Eastwood Hi-Temp header coating. It works remarkably well with no rust; the key is to prep the surface properly and use light coats (no need to cake it on).
Excellent, I'm familiar with Eastwood but do you have any other info on this particular coating? As in how many types do they have, colors, how much needed to do a set of LTs, what kind of primer/prep needed beforehand?
Any chance of finding something similar at Home Depot or Walmart that would work?
Thanks.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I get the impression that the Pacesetters (and the new Flowtechs) are of a thinner gauge than the Macs and most other LS1 headers out there but that's ok, they'll be lighter.
Nope...they are no thinner than 16 guage.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I know, but you have the coated ones which I know will show some rust...I'm more curious about the bare metal ones.
yah but i also got one of their regular black painted ones sittin here cuz of a mixup in the origonal shipping...that and i know people that have attempted to just paint headers with high temp stuff and it usually comes off within the frist 10 minutes of driving the car...i high temp painted my ypipe only cuz i know it doesnt hit the temps that the headers do so i was pretty sure it wouldnt come right off Under 2000 miles a year though and no bad weather ahh you might not have too many issues with rust but i would definitly spring for the extra $100 thats just me though.

lata
Bill
Old 01-25-2004, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Hmm tough decision...not only between coated/non coated but also between the Pacesetters (good reputation so far) and the Flowtechs (brand new/unknown).
Maybe I should say f*(k it and get some stainless QTPs? LOL
Old 01-25-2004, 10:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

how bout ya buy the pacesetters & ypipe I'll install them for ya and ya give me what you wouldve saved or at least $200 for the install I know i could do it in under 4 hours this time around hehe

Quick Reply: Just how BADLY will non coated/non stainless headers rust? headers