Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help getting intake manifold off

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, it was the OSU and it snapped right off. That thing was really easy to break. Also I brought the brake booster hose back around the intake and pushed it through all the wires so it was sitting right ontop of the intake so it would stop tangling with everything else.

Now I have the intake manifold off, it's dirty as **** underneath. Looks like there's mud in some places. This is my first time removing a manifold (obviously) but I wouldn't think it would be this dirty? I'm going to tape up the intake ports on the head and take a vaccum to it because this just doesn't look good.
Attached Thumbnails Need help getting intake manifold off-intake.jpg  

Last edited by Golf&GM; 08-23-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After using the vaccum on it, and its all clean and free of dirt and stuff, take the tape back off the runners and wipe the gunked up areas out. Try your best not to let anything fall down into the runners. Once you wipe most of the gunk out, go to a local Dodge dealer, and buy a can or Mopar Upper Chamber Cleaner. Comes in a can with a white and blue label. Spray each runner down with the cleaner and let it sit, dont need to fill the entire area up, but make sure most of the inside of the runner and chamber are wet looking. This will help break up some more of that gunk off and let it burn out when you start the car. I did the same thing when I had to pull that head off and it helped. Also check that LS6 intake and make sure its cleaned on the inside, you can use that same cleaner to break up the oil and gunk in there, then wash it out, but make sure you let the intake dry well and its free of any water before putting it back on the car.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good advice tdevil, I cleaned everything up and took my time to make sure nothing fell through the runners while I was cleaning. I've only had about 10-15 minutes here and there to work on it but it's almost all back together. Should start it up tonight and see how things go. I'm a little nervous because I moved the intake around a bunch trying to get it off. I'm hoping through my sturggles none of the gunk and debris made its way into the heads. The startup and first few miles are going to be a little nerve racking.

Quick Reply: Need help getting intake manifold off