Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular modified TSP Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modular modified TSP Dual Exhaust

Hey guys,

Currently have Pacesetter LT/ORY/GMMG. Sounds great at Idle/WOT. Part throttle to be honest blows. I know some like it, some don't. I probably spend 90% of the time cruising and that's where it sounds the worst.

I've been debating between True Duals which sound amazing, but loud as ****; or the Hooker catback which sounds good, but can be pretty quiet.

I'm currently ordering a TSP True dual exhaust with Dynomax bullets and I'm going to be installing this first. My plan is to have 3 "Stages" with this exhaust that can be easily swappable.

I plan on installing 3-Bolt flanges at the end of the X-Pipe (right before the bullets).

1) Drag (Dynomax Bullets) - This would be for the strip or when I'm just feeling obnoxious and want ball out performance noise be damned. 3-Bolt flange on the bullet itself. This way I can take the bullets off in a few minutes and move to "Stage" 2 or 3.

2) Spiral Flows - This would still be dumped, not as loud as the dynomax bullets, but kind of a happy medium. I would probably drive this around the majority of the time. 3-Bolt flange would be on the Spiral flow itself.

3) Hooker Aerochamber over the axle. This is where things start to get interesting. There are times when I don't want a dumped exhaust. Taking a girl out on a date, long drives, cops making a noise push or harrassing, or if I just want to quiet it down for awhile. This would in no way be optimum for performance (a normal Hooker catback would probably be just as good if not better).

What I'm thinking is with the 3-Bolt flanges after the X, I would have an exhaust shop fab up a 3" Y joining the pipes into a single 3" right after the X then go up and over the axle in the stock location and then into the Aerochamber just like it would typically go with the dual pipes coming out the back. This might take a 2nd 3-Bolt flange close to the muffler itself to facilitate removal without cutting anything or dropping the rear end.

This way I could change exhausts, from mild to wild in really less then a half hour.

I really don't see it being that expensive either, I could weld the 3-Bolt flanges (which cost nothing virtually) to the bullets and X-pipe myself. The only thing that would cost would be having the exhaust shop build the Y after the X and up over the axle.

What's everybody think? I know going duals into an X and then into a Y and factory after that is not the best for performance. But when I'm doing that i'm not looking to race, just enjoy the car and cruise.

Further options could even be making a Stock Replacement muffler for super quiet operation (or taking it to court after a Fix-It ticket! )
Old 08-26-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bullets are bullets...they'll all be loud. Spiral Flows may be slightly quieter, but I wouldn't really look at any bullet setup as a "medium" setup.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Throw an electric cutout on it. My cutout sounded like crap before I put my headers, catted y and cam in. It sounds amazing now and I can be quiet at the flip of a switch.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After thinking it would be easier to install the 3-Bolt flanges before the X then go into a Y - standard exhaust.

Cutouts could be an option, but then I wouldn't get the benefit of an X-Dual setup (granted probably only talking a few HP) and also wouldn't lose the weight; I'm not a fan of the sound of open cutouts.

Probably wouldn't have two bullet setups, was really just throwing that out.

Just a way to go from wild (True duals dumped) to mild (Std Hooker style catback) rather quickly.

And I'm saving for a built 4L60 so I'm bored and want to screw around w the car.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is my cutout. I think it sounds pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px-R89xuJKQ
Old 05-17-2011, 01:53 AM

I Know This May Sound Crazy Have Anybody Know Someone Used A Slp loudmouth muffler and a Flowmaster muffler together at the same time and heard