Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Headers Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hooker Headers Rubbing

Well i found out wut was making noise under my car at WOT shifts, though it was ypipe, or mounts, but its actually the drivers side header tube laying against the front lower control arm, how the heck can this be? they fit this bad? noticed it while changing the oil on it this morning, not sure how i can fix this, i dont wanna blow a hole through the header, any ideas?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's unusual, as my Hooker headers didn't have similar issues. Did you do the install?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squirts11
That's unusual, as my Hooker headers didn't have similar issues. Did you do the install?
no i had my shop do it
Old 08-27-2010, 02:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think it could just be old saggy motor mounts causing it to sit too close? My old pacesetters sat on the control arm and i still have stock motor mounts with 160xxx and i was thinking that was my problem.. maybe your prob too? Idk if I'm even thinking of the same thing your talkin about but it sounds the same too me..
anyone else think that mm could cause this?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jb98camaro
You think it could just be old saggy motor mounts causing it to sit too close? My old pacesetters sat on the control arm and i still have stock motor mounts with 160xxx and i was thinking that was my problem.. maybe your prob too? Idk if I'm even thinking of the same thing your talkin about but it sounds the same too me..
anyone else think that mm could cause this?

my car has 33k on it, checked the mounts and they seem fine, thing the header wasnt designed to well, had to notch out the control arm alittle, not too bad, shes ok now
Old 08-27-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't uncommon with the stock k-member and long tubes. Some poly MM's might help a bit or a set of Spohn solid pedistals as they'll raise the engine a bit. Notching the k-member though is usually the easiest fix.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
This isn't uncommon with the stock k-member and long tubes. Some poly MM's might help a bit or a set of Spohn solid pedistals as they'll raise the engine a bit. Notching the k-member though is usually the easiest fix.
yea figured that, just thought it was strange cause i had a pair of pacesetters last time and they fit better
Old 08-28-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard of it happening even with some of the pricier headers. A lot of the time it is just the geometry of the specific vehicle that does it. The oddity of our cars, 8 identical camaros and not one will install the same.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
I've heard of it happening even with some of the pricier headers. A lot of the time it is just the geometry of the specific vehicle that does it. The oddity of our cars, 8 identical camaros and not one will install the same.
thats true everyone is built different in its own way
Old 08-28-2010, 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

i had flowtech and they did the same thing, while on my friends car they fit extremly fine! and my engine mounts were new..just a bad luck i guess lol i bent the tube a bit like 3 mm no big deal.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
i had flowtech and they did the same thing, while on my friends car they fit extremly fine! and my engine mounts were new..just a bad luck i guess lol i bent the tube a bit like 3 mm no big deal.
yea its weird how it works