Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true dual hanger locations???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default true dual hanger locations???

ok guys so im getting a true dual set here shortly and ive been trying to figure out where the best place for the hangers are. it will be a basic x-pipe with dynomax bullets dumped. what im really looking for is pictures but all i come up with is ground clearance pics. also, what are the best hangers to use? ive heard about using the seat brackets or self tapping screws

thanks in advance!
Andrew
Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I'd trust self tapping screws. The floor pan isn't that thick and the vibrations would eventually work them loose.

I drilled out the holes then used grade 8 bolts, washers and nuts. Granted I have TSP duals, so I was really limited in choosing a location. I've heard tell of the seat belt bolts working and would save the hassle of removing your rear carpet so you can tighten the bolts.

The hardest part though is tucking them with the rear suspension unloaded thanks to the torque arm. I'm afraid of tucking mine up higher because I do most of my work on a two post lift and I don't want my exhaust holding the weight of my rear end.

I'll try and get pics tomorrow as it is 1am right now.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response.

Ill have to get my car on a rack at work and take a closer lookat those seatbelt bolts. But that would have to wait till I get the headers on. I'm thinking about the tsp kit but since I've already have the mufflers id like a used kit and adapt them from there.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response.

Ill have to get my car on a rack at work and take a closer lookat those seatbelt bolts. But that would have to wait till I get the headers on. I'm thinking about the tsp kit but since I've already have the mufflers id like a used kit and adapt them from there.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can try calling TSP and seeing if they can sell you the system minus the mufflers.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually just got my set of TSP duals finished up this morning. Wound up drilling two 1/2" holes through the rear seat pans and using a 7/16" bolt on each hanger, with big fender washers and some RTV sealant. The driver's side bullet was REALLY tight against the torque arm, but there's a little clearance and I couldn't get it adjusted any better.

Self-tapping screws would be way too small...you have to remember, the hangers are holding the entire exhaust up and are under a lot of tension, so you want a beefy bolt...I wouldn't go under 5/16" minimum, and bumping to a 7/16" isn't going to hurt anything. Just make sure you use some type of sealant and a large washer, to keep water out of the interior.

The TSP setup is also designed with a specific length muffler (didn't measure, but I know they're longer than the mufflers on my old duals), so that's something to consider for hanger locations, also.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a shot of one side on mine. You can see the bolt behind the sway bar. Remember this is a TSP set up, so they welded hangers onto the bullet. If you look to the left though you can see the seat belt bolt. That'd work just as well with a custom hanger.

They would have tucked better if not for the unloaded rear suspension and the stock torque arm. I am hoping when I replace that with a UMI arm, it'll let me get them a bit higher.
Attached Thumbnails true dual hanger locations???-015.jpg  
Old 09-05-2010, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Perfect shoot of what I was needing thanks a lot! Really gives me an idea now for what I need to shoot for