Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorties vs LT's

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorties vs LT's

I thought I was dead set on getting Lt's until I found out none are legal. To my understanding LT's scavenge at a lower rpm giving more low end power while shorties scavenge better at a higher rpm. In my case, stock y-pipe and manifolds, the car has no problem breaking loose at 50mph. So I'm figuring the shorties would be the better choice for usable power (besides being legal). So what should I go with? If I do go with shorties, can I get some y-pipe suggestions. I'm planning on keeping my cats just for the sake of not having to mess with it when inspection time comes up.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard tsp makes a good catted y-pipe...i would still go with LTs
Old 09-05-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never heard that LTs are not legal. I would think that it all boils down to emissions and if you have cats on it then they will take care of the emissions part of it. I would go with the long tubes and put a catted Y on it and keep my mouth shut when it comes inspection time.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you remove or change the position of the stock cats then it is illegal. Only shorties are legal but the flow isn't much better than the stock manifolds. Maybe on 5hp, if you're concerned on staying legal then just bolt on a procharger and injectors.

I picked the Mid-length MAC headers since the cats are still pretty close to the engine and shouldn't throw any O2 codes. I got a custom Y-pipe with flowmaster merge and high flow spun cats and they flow very good.The Mids also don't affect ground clearance like some LT's and have a good fit.

If I had to do it again though I would get some American Racing catted long tubes since they are down the road from my tuner and seem to be the best headers for these cars.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camz28arro
If you remove or change the position of the stock cats then it is illegal.
That depends on your state's law. Shorties aren't worth the $, just get a set of longtubes, there are a lot of people on this site from your state with them, I promise
Old 09-05-2010, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're worrying about illegal, how about not having a front license plate on the front of your car? (based on your pics in your album). I'm not saying be illegal, but you can ADD functioning, legal catalytic converters behind the LTs.

And clean up that engine compartment
Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can have emissions codes deleted. Passing a visual inspection is a bit trickier, but every area has at least a couple of "friendly" techs who should be able to help you out. You can often find them by throwing a shout-out on a local forum.
Let me put it this way: I've had longtubes and no cats on my daily driver since 2006, and I live in an emissions county. I still get my plates renewed.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not all about scavenging; you have to factor in flow, too.