Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ORY vs Catted Y

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORY vs Catted Y

Hey guys i recently got a LS6 manifold, P&P TB, Pacesetter LT's, and am looking at a Y for it. My car is a 00 ss it has a slp full system y back, I am going to keep my LMII cat back and just run a new y int it for now with the pacesetters. My question is wih the ORY's is the car going to be super raspy you think and annoying? I dont mind the loudness but the rasp will probably get old so I am contemplating the TSP catted Y instead of the ORY, I don't really worry about emissions because my car is usually inspected by a friend or they never look under it anyway...What do you think? Also i will have the car "frosted" so the front 02 sensors will still be valid I just wont be running rear 02's so should have no ses light issues
Old 09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had SLP's Loudmouth on the car when I decided I wanted Headers, so I went with a catted Y-pipe.

Its, without a doubt, LOUD. And I still have some rasp, but I know the cats keep it from becoming unbearable. And what matters most is, I like it.

If you plan to keep your LMII, I recommend you go with a catted Y. You're, maybe, sacrificing 5HP tops by going with cats rather than an ORY, so its not like you're losing a substantial amount of power. Plus the cats will be good insurance against the LMII becoming too raspy for your taste.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision and upcoming install.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

With that catback, chances are it will be raspy with an ORY. But you never really know until you try it out. With my GMMG, cats, a FM merge, a powerpack, & resonator tips were all necessary to tame the rasp. With single outlet Hooker Maximum Flow I'm running now, my ORY with FM merge has no rasp.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put up a thread not to long ago about this. There were some good vids of both sides. Here's a link:
LM2 with LTs - Thoughts
Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i would go with the catted y. even with my magnaflow, without cats gets a little raspy
Old 09-07-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

as i "READ" everyone is saying LTs + ory + LM = lound and raspy as for LMII i heard its less raspy but a catted Y pipe is a good idea. good luck.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Hooker all the way back IMO.

Cut-out closed, very tolerable, delicious tone, 0 "rasp".
Cut-out open, race car.