Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM2 with LTs - Thoughts

Old 08-04-2010, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LM2 with LTs - Thoughts

The next mod up on the list is going to be a set of LTs to go with my LM2 catback. I really like the way the LM2 sounds w/ stock manis, and I've heard a lot of people complain about the rasp and drone of LM1 when combined with LTs and ORY, which is causing me to lean toward a catted Y. I've seen a couple vids, like in this thread:
Longtubes, Catted Y, SLP LM2, Brakes installed! PICS

In particular, JustAGoat's vid (post #19) is relevant because while it is loud, I don't dislike the sound (cam is in future plans).

My question is this: my budget right now allows for Pacesetter LTs with a TSP catted Y, which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment. However, I would like to get some Jet-Hots, which I could do, as long a I stick with an ORY. So should I save up for a catted Y to match the Jet-Hots, just stick with the Pacesetters, or will the ORY sound ok?

All opinions are welcome, sound clips are very appreciated.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Teching In

I have the slp lm2 on my camaro, im installing ARH race headers and ORY this weekend ill let you know my thoughts about how it sounds...i might even be able to get a video up this weekend.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the LM2 with my headers but I have a Texas Speed catted Y. I thought it was going to be too loud but I like it.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kicksZ28
I also have the LM2 with my headers but I have a Texas Speed catted Y. I thought it was going to be too loud but I like it.
That's the same setup I'm looking at. Any sound clips/vids? Thanks for the input

Also, I found the edelbrock stainless LTs, and they are decently cheap as well. Anyone have any comments as to the quality or fit/clearance on those?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I had Loumouth 1 with American Racing Headers with catted Y, and I just recently switched to LM2. I absolutely love the LM2, there is no rasp and it sounds great. I didn't mind how the loudmouth 1 sounded but it was friggin loud, and it would scare people when I started the car. I figured I would try it cause it was only 90 bucks. I have cats on my car so I don't know how it would sound without cats.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Arh headers and arh catted y lm2 here and all I can say is WOW I'm so glad I went with this setup.

Idles just like the catback did with shorties and cruising at 70-80 mph in 6 th gear is just a tad louder but barely noticeable.

I love it and I think the catted Y made the difference in it sounding just like the lm2 but louder when u give it throttle. The sound is JUST louder nothing different. Just imagine the sound of you lm2 amplified (perfection IMO)

What I love the most is that it idles so smooth/quiet and just purrs all the way up to 2k rpm-get on the throttle and WOW the beast is unleashed! It gives it to you when you want it. Quiet when you want/need it to be and throaty/deep when you punch it.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalis
The next mod up on the list is going to be a set of LTs to go with my LM2 catback. I really like the way the LM2 sounds w/ stock manis, and I've heard a lot of people complain about the rasp and drone of LM1 when combined with LTs and ORY, which is causing me to lean toward a catted Y.
I went with a Catted Y for the same reason. I wanted Longtube Headers, but I didn't want to ditch the LM1 I currently have on the car.

I've seen a couple vids, like in this thread:
Longtubes, Catted Y, SLP LM2, Brakes installed! PICS

In particular, JustAGoat's vid (post #19) is relevant because while it is loud, I don't dislike the sound (cam is in future plans).
You're not kidding, man. That car sounds awesome!

My question is this: my budget right now allows for Pacesetter LTs with a TSP catted Y, which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment. However, I would like to get some Jet-Hots, which I could do, as long a I stick with an ORY. So should I save up for a catted Y to match the Jet-Hots, just stick with the Pacesetters, or will the ORY sound ok?
I went with Jet Hot LT's and a Modular Jet Hot Y-pipe (I can remove the small Cats in the Y-pipe if I choose to and replace them with Off Road "Test Pipes").

I chose Jet Hots because I read an article in High Performance Pontiac Magazine where they installed this exact setup on a 2000 T/A. In the article they state the Jet Hot Coating should keep the headers looking great for years to come. So my thinking was these were reasonably priced headers with a coating that will prevent the aluminized tubing, from which they're constructed, from corrosion/rust for a long time.

Let me say, I'm not exactly impressed. Mine have been on for almost a year and a half, with not even a thousand miles worth of driving, and already have areas showing surface rust on top of the coating.

Don't get me wrong. They still look pretty good. And construction and fitment of the headers are both top notch. But instead of spending $500 on a set of headers and another $450 on a Y-pipe that is going to show signs of deterioration in this short amount of time, I would rather have spent $400 on a Header & Y-pipe Package from TSP. I'd still have a a very performance minded setup, with quality parts, but I'd have spent less than half the money.

It seems there are really only two directions you can go when it comes to LTs and an aftermarket Y-pipe. You can either be budget minded and find the least expensive header that won't destroy your wallet and still get you the performance gains you're looking for. Or you go all out and get a set of Stainless Steel Headers & Y-pipe that will cost you any where from $1200 to $1500.

I tried the "middle of the road" approach and I'm not completely satisfied. So next time I plan to bite the bullet and purchase a set of American Racing Headers. They're pretty expensive, but I've never heard anyone say they were in any way disappointed in these headers.

Anyways, if you're looking for performance at a reasonable price I would go with these...

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=181&catid=45

Good luck, man.

P.S. Here is a thread that has before and after videos of my car with headers...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...m-install.html

Last edited by Mumbles; 08-05-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

The ARH combo seems to be pretty popular, but its a little out of my price range as of right now. Since I am from Indiana, and the car will get driven in the winter (dd), would it be worth it to wait a bit and get the stainless ARH? What about the edelbrocks? Any info on those?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow my link to my FQuick page and there should be a sound clip there. Hope it helps
Old 08-06-2010, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

If you are going with a cam i love the sound of mine with out the cat, but like you said it is loud. Wait to get the stainless if you drive it year round. If you want some more vids of it driving or whatever let me know...

Oh yea and thanks for the compliments
Old 08-06-2010, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

In my opinion the LM sounds like **** through long tubes at anything less that WFO without CATS or resonators. Save yourself some money and use some bullets in the Y to calm the rasp and drone.

For the love of god why don't people consider the Edelbrock headers? They work as well or better than most of the headers available. The quality is great they are available in stainless or mild steel with a good coating. They're even available with a slip on merge for primary length tuning and their Y picks up ground clearance versus the stock Y on a lot of cars...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
For the love of god why don't people consider the Edelbrock headers?
I am kind of getting the same impression. From what little I could find on here, people seem to like them, but they are rarely mentioned, and they are some of the most affordable stainless headers out there. Kinda starting to lean that way...
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

I am kind of getting the same impression. From what little I could find on here, people seem to like them, but they are rarely mentioned, and they are some of the most affordable stainless headers out there. Kinda starting to lean that way...

I used them and couldn't say a bad thing about the Edelbrocks. The Y got me more ground clearance than the stocker.Quality was solid,price was great and they made great power.Stuck a QTP cut out in the I pipe on the way to an SLP dual/dual and the car sounded great.

A 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8ths will support enormous HP. I picked up power across the board and lost nothing down low compared to a straight 1 3/4....
Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Well here you go,

BBK Longtubes, ORY, SLP Loudmouth 2 in a CME setup!
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=52774285
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Thanks to all who posted. I think I've decided to go with the edelbrock stainless victor series (PN 65701) and their ORY (PN 65711), especially since I can get the headers directly from edelbrock's site for $470, which is a ridiculous bargain for quality stainless headers. If I decide somewhere down the road that it's too loud, I can get some hiflo cats and have them welded in, but based on the input here (thanks Badguy7, JustAGoat), I think I will be ok with it. I will post pics here once I get them installed.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

I loved my edelbrock headers. I'm sure you'll be happy with them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LM2 with LTs - Thoughts