Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noises

I have arh 1 7/8" headers and catted y, fast 92/92, slp lid and ram air. magnaflow catback. After all this stuff was put in and got a tune done. All that was done a while ago, now there is a ticking noise, cant hear it while you are in the car but you can here it under the hood. It is only happening on my 02 trans am and my 99 camaro z28 doesnt make this sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Z1pgltr2U
Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Teching In

ticking like an exhaust leak, or ticking like valvetrain??
Old 09-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is exhaust manifold gasket leak.

I just had a flowmaster merge installed on my y-pipe now I have a exhaust leak on the drivers side exhaust manifold gasket sounds just like a rocker arm ticking..I Probly got my leak from them yanking on the y-pipe to get it disconnected from the headers.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

i would say exhaust leak. i had that too then went back and tightened everything up and it went away
Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Launching!

everything on the exhaust is tight. going to pull the push rods to check
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Trust me just because everything is tight doesn't mean your exhaust manifold gasket can't be leaking.
Like I said before mine sounds just like a rocker arm ticking,,but it's my gasket that is leaking and my header bolts are nice and tight also.Luckly for me it's leaking on the drivers side so it is easy to get to.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Launching!

too late now, going to order a set of heads and cam
Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by incbed
Trust me just because everything is tight doesn't mean your exhaust manifold gasket can't be leaking.
Like I said before mine sounds just like a rocker arm ticking,,but it's my gasket that is leaking and my header bolts are nice and tight also.Luckly for me it's leaking on the drivers side so it is easy to get to.
BTW what would cause the gasket to leak? would the headers flange be warped or something?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned

I fixed mine yesterday it was leaking out of number 5 exhaust port. Mine did not start leaking until the exhaust shop started jerking on the y-pipe.
I just loosend up all the header bolts and recentered the headers and gasket and tightend the header bolts back down.
No leak now.

I also have 243 heads which have D shaped exhaust ports and the exhaust manifold gaskets are circle shaped so the exhaust manifold gasket circle is not fully surrounding the D shape port of the 243 heads. The exhaust manifold gasket is actually alot larger on the flat side of the D shaped port which leaves a small amount of room for the exhaust gases to creat an opening to escape.Thats why the best Exhaust manifold gasket is the Factory GM MLS gasket because it's really thin and flattens out on the head and header flange better than a thicker gasket.

But I do want to add that I have pacesetter ceramic LT's and am using the Felpro exhaust manifold gaskets which I should have went with the factory GM MLS exhaust manifold gaskets,,but I had already had these from a gasket kit I had.

By the way most LS1 header flanges that I have seen are really thick so I doubt they have a problem with warping,,but anything is possible.

Hope I have helped
Old 09-09-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

check you rear plug wires, i wiggles my around and found that the ticking stopped. pulled the wire off and crimped it down better and put it back on, problem solved.
Also like stated, if you havent re-ecked the header bolts after a few heat cycles tighten them down again, Good Luck!