Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers after axle on Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflers after axle on Trans Am

In short I ran out of money to finish my exhaust with school starting and just got a citation and need my exhaust finished ASAP. I got a quote and now just need to decide what mufflers to go with. My TSP will go over the right side of the axle with a 3" pipe and maybe a 2.5" if they can't fit two 3's in there. Id like to have Borla ProXS's on the most after the axle I just don't know how it will look because I don't want two mufflers sticking out. I could put them before the axle, but I have a lot of speed bumps around here and I'm afraid of scraping too much. I just thought of this as I'm typing, but could I run both mufflers horizontally where the stock muffler was and have the pipe go out the opposite side? I would run bullet mufflers which wouldn't be a problem in front or behind the axle but they're too loud and I like how borla sounds. Any pictures anyone has of rear mounted mufflers would be great I couldn't find anything on this kind of setup with mufflers mounted behind the axle. Thanks a lot guys.

Edit: exhaust shop said they can't get a 3 inch pipe over the left side, but I think it's possible. I have some wires and pulgs connected to the floor there that they say is in the way. If they can't do a 3" over both side I think at least a 2.5" will fit over the left side. If this is possible things will be a lot easier because I can run two mufflers in the stock area crisscrossed.

Last edited by matrixiskool; 09-15-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one of the cleanest I've seen Powdercoat the mufflers black or just paint them flat black and under your black car, no one will ever see them unless they are level with the mufflers or are really looking. Thats the beauty of black cars. Its easier to hide stuff (except for dirt/dust).

There are several in the true duals thread that look really good also. I couldn't find my favorite, but I got tired after page 6. Good pics in there though.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yessir...that one

And this one,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...over-axle.html

I have pics saved on my phone from a complete custom (BIG $$$) set-up, from a thread on here...just can't find it.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paying someone to do a custom job quickly is just going to give you a crappy system and cost tons of money. Been there done that. With a welder and a little time, you can mount just about any type of mufflers in the back on a Trans Am. This is an over axle dual system that I built with 2 full size Flowmaster mufflers under the gas tank. It's all flanged so I can remove the rear mufflers in one piece and run turn downs before the axle if I wanted it really loud through just the cats again. Getting too old for that though. Running a pipe on the drivers side is doable, but a pain in the *** due to the electrical connections and panhard brace and bar over there.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/9680639-post9.html

I recently removed the 2 Powersticks and swapped the Flowmasters for 2 straight thru Dynomax mufflers. Sounds better IMO.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^^^^
Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Teching In

HavATampa, what size are the outlets on your tips?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

3" tips

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-17205/

Originally Posted by ta_engage
HavATampa, what size are the outlets on your tips?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are those 2.5" pipes with the 2 mufflers or are they 3"?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, 2.5" pipes from the headers to the mufflers and 3" after the mufflers. I already had the mufflers and didn't feel like dealing with the headache of getting a 3" pipe over the drivers side, so I used reducers. The headers are Stainlessworks with 2.5" collectors, which is why I used 2.5" to begin with. That may change soon though.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have 3 inch to the end of the x pipe, but the shop is pushing to do 2.5 over the axle whether its both on the passenger or both sides of the axle. It can't bog down my exhaust flow that much can it? Its still 2x as much pipe as the stock setup.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

3" pipes on both sides can be done, but I wouldn't pay anyone to do it unless they've done it before. If the shop you're using gets it wrong, you can melt the brake hose and the wiring harness on the drivers side. I got around those issues by sinking the wiring harness into the car more to create more room and buying a custom made, longer braided steel brake line so it could be ran away from the pipe. I wrapped the drivers pipe in header wrap and also ended up having to make a mount to lower the panhard bar on the rearend side to lower the bar away from the pipe on maximum compression travel. All of this depends on how low your car sits too. And that's all with 2.5' pipes. The passenger side is much easier and if I had to do it again and I had to have duals over the axle, I would do both pipes on the passenger side. Some guys run the pipes under the axle on both sides. That's so much easier to do, but I've never been a big fan of that look. The more I look at the big 4" Mufflex catback systems, the more I like them.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

How do you like the sound? I have stainlessworks 2.5" headers too.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's mine;

3" over the axle.

Only thing you see from the rear is the exhaust tips and the two pipes coming up over the axle. Mufflers are not visible.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Hey Viper....your threads from a few years back and a few others is what convinced me to go with the SW headers. I've been very happy with them as far as fit and quality. Since I've gone to 2 full size mufflers and cats, I really lke the sound now. I've never been thrilled about the design of their collectors, but back when I installed them I was looking for a 2.5" system, so they fit my ideas well. Now that I've swapped to a bigger cam several times and making more power, I've been toying with doing another exhaust swap maybe this winter. I will never be totally happy with the sound from an LS1 though. I miss the old days of iron blocks and heads with small and big blocks and the awesome sounds they put out.

Very nice exhaust setup Marc. That thing must be loud though with those single chambers and no cats. You don't really have an X or an H pipe...what would you call it?

Originally Posted by Viper
How do you like the sound? I have stainlessworks 2.5" headers too.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice exhaust setup Marc. That thing must be loud though with those single chambers and no cats. You don't really have an X or an H pipe...what would you call it?[/QUOTE]

Looks more like he's got an open X
Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Hey Viper....your threads from a few years back and a few others is what convinced me to go with the SW headers. I've been very happy with them as far as fit and quality. Since I've gone to 2 full size mufflers and cats, I really lke the sound now. I've never been thrilled about the design of their collectors, but back when I installed them I was looking for a 2.5" system, so they fit my ideas well. Now that I've swapped to a bigger cam several times and making more power, I've been toying with doing another exhaust swap maybe this winter. I will never be totally happy with the sound from an LS1 though. I miss the old days of iron blocks and heads with small and big blocks and the awesome sounds they put out.
I'm way up in power now too and thinking the SW headers might be holding me back. I now have a 2.5" y-pipe into a 3.5" i-pipe out to a 3.5" catback (stainless works).
Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Very nice exhaust setup Marc. That thing must be loud though with those single chambers and no cats. You don't really have an X or an H pipe...what would you call it?
It's no louder than the ORY and Corsa catback I had before this.

And I've got an X-pipe:

Old 06-25-2012, 01:15 AM

Default running a true dual over the passenger side axle

I have a 99 formula and have hooker super comp headers with an llp x pipe from a true dual kit i also have 2 slp bullet mufflers and twin slash upsweep tips. The entire setup is 3 inches but dumps before the axle. Can i run twin 3 inch pipes over the rear axle on the passenger side with the phr relocate kit? I understand i will also need the driveshaft loop just seeing if this is a realistic goal?

Quick Reply: Mufflers after axle on Trans Am