Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 intake help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 intake help

Some Dumb questions i K, i tried lookin up installs but it made it more complex

How many Block off plates do i need for the EGR (including header plates)?

Now i dont need the Coolant cross over pipe if i am going to shave the bottom fins?

ANY OTHER PARTS i Need?

My Friend said his mechanic can turn off the SES light is that possible without tuning the car.......like can he just clear the code and it will stay OFF?

THanks
Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Restricted User

You should only need the one plate to block off on the header. And if you shave or chizel the bottom fins off you will be good to go.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can delete the SES code off through HPtuners w/out tuning it, but it sounds like your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about and that mechanic will just clear the code and it will come back.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IWGF
You can delete the SES code off through HPtuners w/out tuning it, but it sounds like your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about and that mechanic will just clear the code and it will come back.
Agreed. I made an appointment with a tuner to have my codes tuned out, and my dad called and canceled saying his local mechanic could do it. All those mechanics can read and "clear" codes but not delete them out of the computer perminantly. Soon as it recognizes that the removed emissions are reading off (probably pretty quick after you start it back up) it will throw all the codes again.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gordo78
Agreed. I made an appointment with a tuner to have my codes tuned out, and my dad called and canceled saying his local mechanic could do it. All those mechanics can read and "clear" codes but not delete them out of the computer perminantly. Soon as it recognizes that the removed emissions are reading off (probably pretty quick after you start it back up) it will throw all the codes again.
Yep. So be prepared to shell out $100 for the licensing fee. It's a one time fee to HPTuners though, so it SHOULD save you $100 on your tune...
Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Just one block off plate on the passenger side, its fun to take the egr pipe off that by the way. I got my plate on ebay, i also removed all the air crap(made life way easier to get the ls6 manifold on.
Also be careful as hell not to break the awesome oil pressure sensor unit thats right behind it, it usually breaks when your pulling the manifold out and the brake booster line hits it. Also the new water lines
So maybe pre order one of those lol
Old 09-18-2010, 01:34 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by duesmandella
Just one block off plate on the passenger side, its fun to take the egr pipe off that by the way. I got my plate on ebay, i also removed all the air crap(made life way easier to get the ls6 manifold on.
Also be careful as hell not to break the awesome oil pressure sensor unit thats right behind it, it usually breaks when your pulling the manifold out and the brake booster line hits it. Also the new water lines
So maybe pre order one of those lol
Yea more to what this guy is saying.. When you get ur intake all unbolted and ur taking it out, make sure to disconnect your brake booster hose from the brake booster, than pull ur intake about 5 or so inches towards you and watch your booster hose. Than get your hand in there and guide the hose through all the wires and such. If your some what carefull you should have no problem, it wasn't a problem for me....
Old 09-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Since now i need to find a tuner there is no rush to put it on... is there any other performance parts while i am in there i should do?

Got slp cai
Bellows
PP TB
LID K&N

Thinking bout MsD Plugs will be easier
Old 09-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Restricted User

My opinion, plugs are plugs and they are always easy to change on an ls1
Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Restricted User

you can run your car like that untuned for awhile btw
Old 09-19-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Resident

Go ahead and take you air pump off while you are at it and get it tuned out at the same time.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
Go ahead and take you air pump off while you are at it and get it tuned out at the same time.
Agreed, thats what I did, frees up some weight, and gives you alot more room in the engine bay esp to put that manifold back on.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't mean to hijack, but does anyone have a write-up to remove ALL of the Air and egr junk? The ones I've seen don't cover everything.

OP, where in NY are ya?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by APG12
Don't mean to hijack, but does anyone have a write-up to remove ALL of the Air and egr junk? The ones I've seen don't cover everything.

OP, where in NY are ya?

I live in upstate ny, i dont think there is a write up because its actually really easy. The egr connects to the passenger side header and the intake manifold. Just remove those and have the block off plates ready for the exhaust manifold, if you dont have a intake manifold that already doesnt come without it then i dont know. the air is the same thing, just remove the tubes from both exhaust manifolds and follow all the tubing and pull it out. Then there is a thing under the driver side headlight(im guessing the control unit for it, remove that and bam the air is gone to)
Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I still have an ls1 intake so I think I need a plug for the manifold. Im pretty sure the air pump is the part thats under the headlight.

If im not mistaken, I think its one block off plate for the egr, one for the air and a plug for the manifold if its an ls1.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Should be one block off for the EGR and two block offs for the air pump. Just like the guy above said the removal is super easy. You can use a freeze plug for the intake block off. Thunder Racing sells everything you need!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

more good info in this thread
Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
Should be one block off for the EGR and two block offs for the air pump. Just like the guy above said the removal is super easy. You can use a freeze plug for the intake block off. Thunder Racing sells everything you need!
So its three plates and a plug total, or two plates and a plug?

*EDIT - Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by APG12; 09-19-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Launching!

From wht i gathered we need one plate for EGR n two plates for air...so 3 plates...
now if ur goin to keep ur ls1 intake u need a plug tht u will fill where the EGR hose goes now

I live on LI not far from yonkers
Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Two plates air system

One plate EGR

You are going to need some vaccum caps to cap off the air system vaccum lines, I ended up disconnecting it at the t behind the manifold and removing the whole solenoid by the drivers side fuel rail and then connecting the remanding line into the new LS6 manifold so i needed no caps

Depending on what year you have my 00SS had an air line going into my lid i used a chrysler master cylinder gasket and a little high temp silicone fit like a glove

New gaskets for the mani