Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnaflow vs true dual , need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that mufflex seems like the perfect set up for me , the price seems kind of steep for such a simple design but that certainly changed my thoughts, it would also give me much greater ground clearance for my car to be lowered (apposed to be being nervous about true duals + lowered) and have no tips out the back. do you have any clips of ur car?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no i dont have any audio clips.... Im in Iraq now and Ill be back in a month or so. as soon as i get back ill get some clips of it though
Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

is this the mufflex with magnaflow much quieter than the true duals? sorry for the million questions lol
Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

its a little quieter... but it mainly reduces the in cab noise. but when you get on it... it screams like the duals do
Old 09-19-2010, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

and like everyone else says.... if you want it louder, just put a cutout on it... thats what im about to do for when i have it at the track
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

the Mufflex is where it's at IMO. I like the magnaflow one like frankss has. I wish I could afford one. I guess 4" tubing don't come cheap lol.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
the Mufflex is where it's at IMO. I like the magnaflow one like frankss has. I wish I could afford one. I guess 4" tubing don't come cheap lol.

yeah i just realized its 4" tubing so thats prob why the price is jack up but does it connect to the 3" that comes off an ory? and ill prob just get the lt's and ory for now then down the road get the mufflex and cuttout

ps is there any drone or anything with the mufflex?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 AM
12 Second Club

no drone at all... only a little rasp, but that comes from the y-pipe you use. if i were to get a high flow merge, then i wouldnt have any

and ya... 4" pipe isnt cheap, especially stainless
Old 09-20-2010, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might take my magnaflow muffler and tips off and install a flowmaster 40 series with a single turndown on the drivers side. Something similar to this (not my car)....

But then I'll have to get a formula rear bumper because the trans am rear bumpers look weird without tips and those two pipe slots
Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
yeah i just realized its 4" tubing so thats prob why the price is jack up but does it connect to the 3" that comes off an ory? and ill prob just get the lt's and ory for now then down the road get the mufflex and cuttout

ps is there any drone or anything with the mufflex?
They send a 4" to 3" reducer with the kit.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

true duals all the way. you won't regret it
Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was thinking just take off my muffler and tips and get a magnaflow bullet with a turndown for now, i dont need 4 in pipe anytime soon to spend 600 on it lol
Old 09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

quote z28camaross2
"only thing i am concerned about is without cats is the smell and burning of the eyes i dont need my bf bitching everytime shes in my car i can handle the smell and kinda like it lol but just wondering how strong it would be."

I found out it really depends on two things.

1. Tuning - until I bought a wideband this year and started my own tuning , my car always smelled horrific, my clothes did, and my wife flat out stopped riding around with me. Now it's much better.

2. Getting the exhaust welded vs band clamps. For years I had band clamp exhausts and the car would smell bad around the doors even though I had exhaust all the way out. Had it welded before the tuning and it helped alot. The tuning took care of the rest enough that it no longer burns your eyes.

Don't get me wrong, still smells but it's like a car pre 1970, not horrible.

All what I've went through, YMMV
Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man i decided to keep magnaflow just cut tips off , weld turndowns onto the 2.5 part of the tips. i just still dont know if i want cats with a cutout or an ory.

but hmmm ill have to consider all that though thanks man.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Teching In

My preference is the tsp true duals. I went with sweet thunder's and I cant be happier. Originally I had LM1, then went lts and ory and hated it. even tried a flow pro twister instead of the resonator. It helped quite alot, still had some rasp but no drone. But I switched it to tsp true duals. Only thing about them with the dumps before the axle is at certain highway speeds the drone can get quite excessive. If you run with windows open you wont notice it, but with windows up it can be bad. Mostly between 65 to 70. So I just kick it up a bit higher. lol I've had so many good comments on the true duals. Everyone here just loves the sound of them. My neighbor calls it a good loud. haha..
Old 09-24-2010, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

true duals sound the best, period

and sure a cutout is loud but they don't sound good at anything other than idle or WOT and WOT some duals still sound better
Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

guys i saw convertiable ws6 this weekend at our states big car show in New Jersey and i think he had kooks,ory, mangaflow and cutout, i loved the way it sounded... i was embarrassed to drive my car around because it was so quiet compared to all the other ls1's and other muscle cars.. =\
Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mindless_Rage
My preference is the tsp true duals. I went with sweet thunder's and I cant be happier. Originally I had LM1, then went lts and ory and hated it. even tried a flow pro twister instead of the resonator. It helped quite alot, still had some rasp but no drone. But I switched it to tsp true duals. Only thing about them with the dumps before the axle is at certain highway speeds the drone can get quite excessive. If you run with windows open you wont notice it, but with windows up it can be bad. Mostly between 65 to 70. So I just kick it up a bit higher. lol I've had so many good comments on the true duals. Everyone here just loves the sound of them. My neighbor calls it a good loud. haha..
I had mine dumped by the bumper and it still had the excessive drone on the highway if I ever did true duals again I would definately have tips out the back so it wouldn't drone inside the car so much
Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mindless_Rage

EXACTLY!!! Damn i cant wait to get rid of my magnaflow for duals. i wanted sweet thunders but i think they are louder than dynomax bullets.

Quick Reply: magnaflow vs true dual , need some help