Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Headers Work With Stock Exhaust? Are they easy to install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock with a lil scrape get your 3 inch Y plus headers you gonna love it!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
yep your a bone stock T/A with a 6 speed manual trans. ditch the cats and just get the pacesetter LT's and their y-pipe with a stock cat-back it sounds great . . . it's what i'm running and i love it. i used to have 3" true duals but with the attention it pulled from local police i'm happier with being quiet enough to go un-noticed
Aright thanks for confirming that. Hmm I'd ditch the cats if it was legal but I kinda wanna stay legal. I already have a hooker cat back so I'll probably keep that on just cause it's already on there. Part of the reason I'll probably keep the cats is cause I'll be taking my car to dealerships for maintenance every now and then. I'm not gonna do all my own maintenance because I don't have all the skills for that and I'd feel better knowing my car has been checked by a professional. My dad and I were wondering if a dealership would notify the police if they saw you weren't running cats. It'd kinda be a dick move but who knows. Also, I'll have to pass emissions in a few years anyway so I'll have to reinstall cats then if I take them out.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
stock with a lil scrape get your 3 inch Y plus headers you gonna love it!
haha aright. How is clearance for hooker, lpp, and pacesetter headers? And the biggest reason I'm debating whether or not to get headers is because of the cost vs hp gain. I'm figuring I'd gain 20hp max without a tune if I were to get headers. If I were to get a tune thats 400 more bucks I don't have so total this would cost around 1000 which is too much. Now I'm debating whether to just do pulley/s, electric steering pump, and rack and pinion steering instead of headers.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by citationls
haha aright. How is clearance for hooker, lpp, and pacesetter headers? And the biggest reason I'm debating whether or not to get headers is because of the cost vs hp gain. I'm figuring I'd gain 20hp max without a tune if I were to get headers. If I were to get a tune thats 400 more bucks I don't have so total this would cost around 1000 which is too much. Now I'm debating whether to just do pulley/s, electric steering pump, and rack and pinion steering instead of headers.
Why an electric steering pump and pulley? Headers are, pretty much without debate, the best bolt-on you can do for an LS1. You get a good power gain out of just headers, and they help every other engine mod you put on the car. Something like an underdrive pulley is one of the last things to do.

20rwhp from a single mod isn't bad.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Aright thanks for confirming that. Hmm I'd ditch the cats if it was legal but I kinda wanna stay legal. I already have a hooker cat back so I'll probably keep that on just cause it's already on there. Part of the reason I'll probably keep the cats is cause I'll be taking my car to dealerships for maintenance every now and then. I'm not gonna do all my own maintenance because I don't have all the skills for that and I'd feel better knowing my car has been checked by a professional. My dad and I were wondering if a dealership would notify the police if they saw you weren't running cats. It'd kinda be a dick move but who knows. Also, I'll have to pass emissions in a few years anyway so I'll have to reinstall cats then if I take them out.
Thanks
once you move the cats from the original factory location your illegal, cats with your lt's wont make it any more legal. i've taken my car to the dealership to have maintenance done that i couldn't do myself and they never say anything what i have on my car . . . well most of the time they say "are those long tubes? those are nice!" lol
Old 09-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Teching In

What do you do when it comes time for emissions testing? We have it every 2 years in CT.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Teching In

You find a shop thats willing to look the other way for a few bucks and it passes.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You just shuffle the parts.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

What do you do when it comes time for emissions testing? We have it every 2 years in CT.
this
Originally Posted by Lotapwr
You find a shop thats willing to look the other way for a few bucks and it passes.
i live in cali and it's smog naziville here, you have to know someone to do anything anymore without the government creeping up your ***

Last edited by King Nothing; 10-02-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Teching In

hmmmm I'll have to think about this. Cause if I take out the cats and I can't find a shop that'll let me slip by I'll kinda be screwed.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Teching In

I think I'm gonna keep cats on since there's no hp gain with them off and in Ct they are supposed to do a visual inspection for cats during emissions testing. I don't wanna have to pay someone 200 bucks to pass my car illegally for emissions every time.

Does anyone know what the difference between hooker super comp and competition headers is? Do they both give u the same hp gains?

Last edited by citationls; 10-02-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I'm gonna keep cats on since there's no hp gain with them off and in Ct they are supposed to do a visual inspection for cats during emissions testing. I don't wanna have to pay someone 200 bucks to pass my car illegally for emissions every time.

Does anyone know what the difference between hooker super comp and competition headers is? Do they both give u the same hp gains?
there is gain with having them off, more air flows out which means the engine runs better then you get more power
Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Teching In

hmm I don't know for now I think I'll keep stock cats on. Only issue is if I don't get lpp cause I wanna stay legal it'll be like 900 bucks :/ but I guess I don't have a choice.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

keep the stock exhaust pieces and install them for emission testing.remove the stock exhaust and install the exhaust you like.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmm I don't know for now I think I'll keep stock cats on. Only issue is if I don't get lpp cause I wanna stay legal it'll be like 900 bucks :/ but I guess I don't have a choice.
You can't really run stock cats with any set of long tubes I've ever seen.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder how just replacing the mounts with stock units will be? I have read some disappointments with poly ones on this board in the suspension section...

Originally Posted by cyberkill
YES! DO THAT!

THere're only horror stories of people trying to do them after headers.
I wrote a long pictured writeup several months ago (that still needs some editing) of doing both Poly MM & headers.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html
Old 10-03-2010, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Citationls, I know a place in CT that will look the other way when it comes to this. Expect a PM from me.

You can get BBK headers and a ORY for $370, that will be at least 20hp. You don't need to get a $400 dyno tune either, a tune from PCMforless.com would work well.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I wonder how just replacing the mounts with stock units will be? I have read some disappointments with poly ones on this board in the suspension section...
Depends on the mileage. You also have to remember some people on this forum expect a modded f-body to drive like a stock Cadillac, so any increase in NVH is "unacceptable".

Replacing 10-year old stockers that have 80k miles on them with new stock motor mounts is still going to be better than leaving the old ones in.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am at almost 97k on my SS, and debating stock or poly replacements since headers are going in soon... Appreciate any more feedback on the differences...

Originally Posted by Element
Depends on the mileage. You also have to remember some people on this forum expect a modded f-body to drive like a stock Cadillac, so any increase in NVH is "unacceptable".

Replacing 10-year old stockers that have 80k miles on them with new stock motor mounts is still going to be better than leaving the old ones in.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I am at almost 97k on my SS, and debating stock or poly replacements since headers are going in soon... Appreciate any more feedback on the differences...
Some people think polys transmit too much vibration, although poly engine mounts and a stock trans mount are normally pretty mellow. New stock mounts are better than worn-out old ones, but they are softer, so they'll allow more deflection and thus more engine movement, which can be an issue depending on how close your driver-side collector is to the floor pan.

I've got solids and don't mind them at all, but my car shakes so much anyway I hardly noticed the change from 87k stockers to solids. Solids will transmit a lot more vibration, although some people hardly notice it at all. The Spohns do raise the engine up about 1", though.

I'd personally do poly engine mounts with a new OEM trans mount, seems to be about the best combination of limiting engine movement and adding minimal extra vibration.

Quick Reply: Will Headers Work With Stock Exhaust? Are they easy to install?