Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 or 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.3 or 5.7

I've searched this and only really came up with bits about a 5.3 being cheaper.

My question is, what would be the easiest (cheapest) to build? I have an ls1 currently but its nearing 215k and lately its been giving a couple puffs of blue smoke every now and then when I start it up

I've been reading about how cheap Vortec 5.3's are to pick up and build on. I wanna do H/C and bolts on and possibly run spray or even slap a turbo on. I seen a video in the media section of a turbo 5.3 in a 4th gen SS and it was sick which grabbed my attention quick. So what I'm asking is, should I stick with my LS1 and go through the trouble of rebuilding it OR buy a shortblock 5.3 with a harness and build on it throughout the winter and slap it in when spring comes along? I'd also like to know what all is needed to put a 5.3 in, besides a wiring harness. I'm guessing a PCM and possibly new motor mounts or modifying the LS1 ones?

I wouldn't be concerned with money but I'm a highschool student so budget is limited working part time at a lube shop.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Revoroller
I've searched this and only really came up with bits about a 5.3 being cheaper.

My question is, what would be the easiest (cheapest) to build? I have an ls1 currently but its nearing 215k and lately its been giving a couple puffs of blue smoke every now and then when I start it up

I've been reading about how cheap Vortec 5.3's are to pick up and build on. I wanna do H/C and bolts on and possibly run spray or even slap a turbo on. I seen a video in the media section of a turbo 5.3 in a 4th gen SS and it was sick which grabbed my attention quick. So what I'm asking is, should I stick with my LS1 and go through the trouble of rebuilding it OR buy a shortblock 5.3 with a harness and build on it throughout the winter and slap it in when spring comes along? I'd also like to know what all is needed to put a 5.3 in, besides a wiring harness. I'm guessing a PCM and possibly new motor mounts or modifying the LS1 ones?

I wouldn't be concerned with money but I'm a highschool student so budget is limited working part time at a lube shop.
cheapest? find a good 5.3 and swap your ls intake/heads and find an ls6 cam. It will have a little lower compression than with the 5.3...but if you turbo it will be fantastic.. theere are many ways to make more power, my opinion this is the budget friendly way to have a reasonable package, with room to grow later

mounts/exhaust/trans/flywheel.. all identical to your current engine, all accesories will bolt up (you need to drill/tap one hole) your stock ecm/wiring will work, you will need a tune.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c6matt
cheapest? find a good 5.3 and swap your ls intake/heads and find an ls6 cam. It will have a little lower compression than with the 5.3...but if you turbo it will be fantastic.. theere are many ways to make more power, my opinion this is the budget friendly way to have a reasonable package, with room to grow later

mounts/exhaust/trans/flywheel.. all identical to your current engine, all accesories will bolt up (you need to drill/tap one hole) your stock ecm/wiring will work, you will need a tune.
For a turbo setup leave the stock 5.3 heads, ls6 cam, and your golden! Same setup im running, haven't gotten it going yet but its a proven setup.

Plus stock its only like 10rwhp less i heard. for the cost it can't be beat. I think i paid too much and got a very very clean low milage,58k, for 750. I found a drop out with accesories/harness and pcm for 850 but 20k higher, but you got all that good stuff anyways.

If you don't mind spending a little extra $$ go for a 6.0, get a nasty cam, long tubes, and some head work and call it a day.

Depends on your goals. 500-600+ its cheaper to go turbo 5.3, 400+ a cam'd 6.0, would be great, more expensive for the motor itself, but you not spending anything on a wh0le turbo kit.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
For a turbo setup leave the stock 5.3 heads, ls6 cam, and your golden! Same setup im running, haven't gotten it going yet but its a proven setup.

Plus stock its only like 10rwhp less i heard. for the cost it can't be beat. I think i paid too much and got a very very clean low milage,58k, for 750. I found a drop out with accesories/harness and pcm for 850 but 20k higher, but you got all that good stuff anyways.

If you don't mind spending a little extra $$ go for a 6.0, get a nasty cam, long tubes, and some head work and call it a day.

Depends on your goals. 500-600+ its cheaper to go turbo 5.3, 400+ a cam'd 6.0, would be great, more expensive for the motor itself, but you not spending anything on a wh0le turbo kit.
10rwhp less using the 5.3 heads over LS1 heads?

I wouldn't mind building a 6.0 block but I'm having troubles finding one close by. I live in Wyoming, everyone pretty much has a truck and a majority of them are Chevy's with Vortec 5.3's (when I was working full time I worked on at least 25-30 5.3's in a 10hr shift) it would be easy to find one at the junkyard for cheap and I could start building pretty soon and not hastle with shipping and such.

I'm looking at a build with around 400 ponies, maybe a little more but as I said I'm on a budget so this would be a somewhat slow build. The 5.3 sounds like the best route but then again I want it to be able to handle a small shot of spray or boost if I did turbo it. I have 2 lancers I need to have another run with when they aren't the only ones on boost
Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"There have been dyno tests were 5.3s were swapped in place of 5.7s and with all parts the same (intake, etc) they usually made 9-10 horsepower less. "

Taken from budget ls swap guide. Not sure if that meant 5.3heads, or 5.3 with 5.7 heads,

If its going to be a slow build, just wait till you find a 6.0. They're starting to go through the process of being in totaled trucks and getting more and more readily available, as the 5.3 once did.

Even if you have to pay for shipping, go 6.0 with cam and bolt-ons, and if its not enough to smoke those pesky evo's throw a 150shot and your all set.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the ls1 heads would flow better due to the bigger valves?
Old 09-30-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by headed-ws6
I think the ls1 heads would flow better due to the bigger valves?
yes, but they lower the CR on a 5.3 hurting the HP in NA form..

I was saying use the ls heads if he found a 5.3 shortblock.. if he bought the whole engine i would use the 5.3 heads
Old 09-30-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

5.3 heads on an LS1 maybe.. I think the only reason it would be cheaper is because it's from a truck and not a sports car.. Like gears for a 10b S10 are $100 cheaper... Just a thought.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

or you could go either of these routes,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3065-...Q5fCarQ5fParts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3067-...Q5fCarQ5fParts
Old 09-30-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
5.3 heads on an LS1 maybe.. I think the only reason it would be cheaper is because it's from a truck and not a sports car.. Like gears for a 10b S10 are $100 cheaper... Just a thought.
they are cheaper because they are WAYYYY more common.. that and more people prefer the aluminum blocks... its all supply vs demand
Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats a great deal on short blocks.cheaper then honing you 5.7 out to 3.908.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
thats a great deal on short blocks.cheaper then honing you 5.7 out to 3.908.
You got it.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Is the 6.0 really worth the bang for the buck?
I'm guessing I would have to get ls2 heads and intake for it?

I'm liking the 5.3 for the fact I can pick up the motor for cheap and be able to dish out the cash for a cam,LTs, and mail order tune with out having to save up much. Where as with the 6.0 it would be probably until next summer before I could come close to getting in dropped in. And I still need to pick up gears, clutch and a set of DR's among other little things. The 5.3 seems to fit budget better.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Veteran

^ The earlier LS2's actually had 243 heads on them (Unless this idiot I saw put 6.0 badges on his 05 GTO.. ) You can put a smaller head on an engine, but not the reverse. LS1 is 3.905" bore and LS2 is a 4" bore (IIRC)
Old 10-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Found a 5.3 longblock close by from a member on here, going to pick it up on sunday.
So far my plans are:
LT's
ls1 or 6 intake (depends if I can find a LS6 intake or equivalent for cheap)
ls6 cam/sping kit (If I can find a bigger cam for the same or a little more I'll buy it instead)
Dumped 3in dynomax bullets
3:73 gears
Diamond Stage 1 clutch (basic)