Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan removal without engine hoist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan removal without engine hoist?

Is there a good online tuturial for removing & replacing the oil pan on an LS1 Fbody? I've found several threads about it, but they're all a little different.

I've seen some mention of breaking off the oil level sensor, & what about the rivets from the pan to the gasket? Can I reinstall a gasket without the rivets?

Any recomendations?

Thanks!

PS If it's worth it & will make the job quite a bit easier, I'm really not against renting an engine hoist. Just let me know.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

i want some info on this also, any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-01-2010, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

I just talked to a guy at a local performance shop who's wife also owns an LS1 fbody. He said I could just unbolt the shock towers from the engine compartment, unbolt the bolt on the steering column, then unbolt the kmember with jacks underneath it & drop it down & the pan would come out. Is this correct?

Seems like everything I've read involves lifting/jacking up the engine, unbolting the motor mounts, etc. I hope he's correct!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by osuhog
I just talked to a guy at a local performance shop who's wife also owns an LS1 fbody. He said I could just unbolt the shock towers from the engine compartment, unbolt the bolt on the steering column, then unbolt the kmember with jacks underneath it & drop it down & the pan would come out. Is this correct?

Seems like everything I've read involves lifting/jacking up the engine, unbolting the motor mounts, etc. I hope he's correct!
I'm pretty sure the motor mounts bolt to the k-member dude. So the entire motor would come down with it.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I just thought of that after I posted. I guess just an oversight on his part. Okay, so everything I mentioned plus unbolting the motor mounts from the k-member. Would that do the trick? Is there any advantage to unbolting from the top of the struts as compared to the bottom as I have seen in some pics online?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Launching!

You can either take the strut mount bolts out up top or bust the ball joints lose and unbolt the struts on the a-arms,Take the motor mount bolts out,Unclip abs wires.There is also brake lines too, The drivers side you can take off @ the hose, The pass side unscrew out of the abs because it runs behind the rack also if you leave the struts on the on the car you will have to take it off @ the hose also.Plus the steering shaft. MY choice would be drop the kmember,If you use a engine hoist(unbolt the mounts) i dont think you can pull it up high enough. Hope this helps
Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by osuhog
Yeah, I just thought of that after I posted. I guess just an oversight on his part. Okay, so everything I mentioned plus unbolting the motor mounts from the k-member. Would that do the trick? Is there any advantage to unbolting from the top of the struts as compared to the bottom as I have seen in some pics online?
What are you going to use to support the motor? Normally you would jack the motor under the oil pan when removing engine mounts. So once you get the mounts out and the jack is still supporting the motor under the oil pan, then what? I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just trying to make sure you don't get hours into a project and then have to put it all back together again without having accomplished the original task.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99T/A_Marine
What are you going to use to support the motor? Normally you would jack the motor under the oil pan when removing engine mounts. So once you get the mounts out and the jack is still supporting the motor under the oil pan, then what? I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just trying to make sure you don't get hours into a project and then have to put it all back together again without having accomplished the original task.
You have two choices. Either Put a peice of angle iron across the struts up top and chain the motor up,or Put a block of wood on a jack and put it under the crank pulley(thats how i did mine) Its not that much to support
Old 10-15-2010, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im also going to be doing this soon. I have a tubular k-member so theres more wiggle room compared to stock. What i plan on doing get the car up in the air on jack stands, use the cherry picker to support the motor, (either bolt the chain on the heads or remove the intake manifold? idk yet..suggestions?) then unbolt the motor mounts, and unbolt the k-member and swap the oil pan. if there is a more effective way please share!

Quick Reply: Oil pan removal without engine hoist?