Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
when u say top half u mean just from the lid?
To try and clear things up a bit ill list all the parts to my ram air kit.

1) slp Lid
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21044
2) slp cai (top half)
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21033
3) ftra ram air (lower extension)
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...products_id=42

Shop around and you can find deals. I pieced this setup together for 200.00, everything brand new in box!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
To try and clear things up a bit ill list all the parts to my ram air kit.

1) slp Lid
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21044
2) slp cai (top half)
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21033
3) ftra ram air (lower extension)
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...products_id=42

Shop around and you can find deals. I pieced this setup together for 200.00, everything brand new in box!

thank u now i can see, well i have the first one already, and i did the free ram air mod already which is trimming the lower box out, so i need the second one, but not sure wut the 3rd one does and is needed?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

thank u now i can see, well i have the first one already, and i did the free ram air mod already which is trimming the lower box out, so i need the second one, but not sure wut the 3rd one does and is needed?
The 3rd one connects to the 2nd pulling air right off the air deflector. If you only have option 1 & 2 that I listed, you have a lid/ cai setup, not Ram Air!! Your only pulling air from half way up the ac condensor. Not alot of air is forced in with that setup, but it does draw air in better than just a lid only... If you have all three then you have a true ram air setup. Look at the pics in this link:

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...products_id=28
Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just took my ssra off today because I needed the room for a trans cooler. Also if you do a search on hydrolock...it actualy happens more than you would think. I may drop a couple tenths at the track but hey...its better than hydrolocking
Old 10-07-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
The 3rd one connects to the 2nd pulling air right off the air deflector. If you only have option 1 & 2 that I listed, you have a lid/ cai setup, not Ram Air!! Your only pulling air from half way up the ac condensor. Not alot of air is forced in with that setup, but it does draw air in better than just a lid only... If you have all three then you have a true ram air setup. Look at the pics in this link:

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...products_id=28
Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I just took my ssra off today because I needed the room for a trans cooler. Also if you do a search on hydrolock...it actualy happens more than you would think. I may drop a couple tenths at the track but hey...its better than hydrolocking
gotcha now it makes sense,

this is true that cant be a good thing in the rain
Old 10-07-2010, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

gotcha now it makes sense,

this is true that cant be a good thing in the rain
Yea Ill tell ya iv had 2 of these on 2 of my cars. Never had a problem even driven throught some pretty nasty rainstorms but I was playing with fire cause it happens alot more than what we think.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea Ill tell ya iv had 2 of these on 2 of my cars. Never had a problem even driven throught some pretty nasty rainstorms but I was playing with fire cause it happens alot more than what we think.
yea u dont wanna take that chance u know
Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to sound like an *******, but if you're in deep enough water to get hydrolocked then the ram-air doesn't matter anyways.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rob69zombie
I hate to sound like an *******, but if you're in deep enough water to get hydrolocked then the ram-air doesn't matter anyways.
Whats your point? Are you saying you will not get hydrolocked any easier with a cai kit?
If your in deep enough water to get hydrolockled without a cai then half your motor is in water...like a lake.

Its ALOT easier to hydolock with cai its common sense
Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats your point? Are you saying you will not get hydrolocked any easier with a cai kit?
If your in deep enough water to get hydrolockled without a cai then half your motor is in water...like a lake.

Its ALOT easier to hydolock with cai its common sense
this is true
Old 10-08-2010, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

lol OK guys.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rob69zombie
lol OK guys.
ok? alright? alright wit u mr rob ****** zombie?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

lmao Yup.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I installed my slp CAi/bellows n cleaned all the leaves n sand. Out the filter..had to cut a good 2 inchs out my lid...looks like my lid only had .5in openin. It wasn't open like the slp ones.... so idk if cleanin n cutin lid to let more air in..or. cai made a difference ...but I tell u the under 1.5 - 2k u can feel the isn't struggling for air...n 3-4 k u hear it start to force air in n pulls harder totaly worth the money imo... might buy ftra bottom piece ....researchin it first
Old 10-09-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by legendarysouls
So I installed my slp CAi/bellows n cleaned all the leaves n sand. Out the filter..had to cut a good 2 inchs out my lid...looks like my lid only had .5in openin. It wasn't open like the slp ones.... so idk if cleanin n cutin lid to let more air in..or. cai made a difference ...but I tell u the under 1.5 - 2k u can feel the isn't struggling for air...n 3-4 k u hear it start to force air in n pulls harder totaly worth the money imo... might buy ftra bottom piece ....researchin it first

wut lid do u have?
Old 10-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Garanatelli
Old 10-09-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Ppl hydrolock there motors because they dont drive smart. If you go around driving fast & hitting puddles of water like that, then your going to hydrolock your motor that way. If you drive smart, go slow through puddles of water. You'll be fine, i had zero issues driving through rain/puddles of water and it rained here alot more then usual these last few months. I even checked my filter a few times when i thought it was just to much of a puddle that i went through. Filter was dry, didnt see any signs of water drops or anything looking wet near the filter. I get water through my SS hood but its a small amount and it doesnt hit the filter though.

Now yea, there's times it just happens and you gotta chalk that up to badluck but if you drive carefull, know the roads your driving through and are smart about it. You'll be fine.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Ppl hydrolock there motors because they dont drive smart. If you go around driving fast & hitting puddles of water like that, then your going to hydrolock your motor that way. If you drive smart, go slow through puddles of water. You'll be fine, i had zero issues driving through rain/puddles of water and it rained here alot more then usual these last few months. I even checked my filter a few times when i thought it was just to much of a puddle that i went through. Filter was dry, didnt see any signs of water drops or anything looking wet near the filter. I get water through my SS hood but its a small amount and it doesnt hit the filter though.

Now yea, there's times it just happens and you gotta chalk that up to badluck but if you drive carefull, know the roads your driving through and are smart about it. You'll be fine.

Like I said. I had 2 ssra on my 98 and 01 car with no issues but do a search it happens more than what you think.
Sure I argree that it does happen more to people that put their cars in a bad situation but what happens when you are over 100 miles from home and you get caught in serious rain?
Lemme tell you a couple months ago on the way home from new england dragway (3 hours from home) I got caught in one of the biggest storms I have ever driven in. I had no choice but to keep driving. Still had the ssra on the car and it turned out fine but its deff asking for it. Do a search its kinda overwelming.
You get water in your hood but not in your airbox (or at least not alot) because its not sealed to the hood. Imagine if it was sealed to the hood. Guess what makes a cai work at its best? Making sure its sealed! So if you have cai that is sealed up the way its suposed to be then its a great risk.
I decided the risk of hydrolock wasnt worth the extra .1 1/4 mile time if any.
Oh and btw...that metal cai gets seriously heat soaked and makes iat hotter than opposed to a ss hood alone.
Also,since I removed my ssra my condensor/radiator efficiency has gone way up even with the new trans cooler sitting there!
Hey,maybe if I had an all out drag car that I toe to the track with a trailor then hydrolocking wouldnt be a concern but since its a street/occasional strip car then in my eyes its a big risk cause you cant control the weather
Old 10-09-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Like I said. I had 2 ssra on my 98 and 01 car with no issues but do a search it happens more than what you think.
Sure I argree that it does happen more to people that put their cars in a bad situation but what happens when you are over 100 miles from home and you get caught in serious rain?
Lemme tell you a couple months ago on the way home from new england dragway (3 hours from home) I got caught in one of the biggest storms I have ever driven in. I had no choice but to keep driving. Still had the ssra on the car and it turned out fine but its deff asking for it. Do a search its kinda overwelming.
You get water in your hood but not in your airbox (or at least not alot) because its not sealed to the hood. Imagine if it was sealed to the hood. Guess what makes a cai work at its best? Making sure its sealed! So if you have cai that is sealed up the way its suposed to be then its a great risk.
I decided the risk of hydrolock wasnt worth the extra .1 1/4 mile time if any.
Oh and btw...that metal cai gets seriously heat soaked and makes iat hotter than opposed to a ss hood alone.
Also,since I removed my ssra my condensor/radiator efficiency has gone way up even with the new trans cooler sitting there!
Hey,maybe if I had an all out drag car that I toe to the track with a trailor then hydrolocking wouldnt be a concern but since its a street/occasional strip car then in my eyes its a big risk cause you cant control the weather
Yea, ive driven through some heavy rain as well. I was in another town when it caught me out driving around, i ended up pulling into the nearest car wash i found. Took me 10minutes to get there with just how bad the rain was. I started hearing a noise from the engine, popped the hood. Check my intake, no water near it at all. Car ran fine, so i knew it wasnt nothing like that. Turned out just being my ac pulley, which is another common issue on these cars. Drove it in a snow storm, through roads with a nice amount of snow with no issues again. Like i said, drive it carefully and be smart about it and you'll be fine. I just dont see rain fall being sucked up into your intake without hitting a huge puddle and forcing alot of water to go up there. Regardless of how low these cars are, i think it still takes alot to get the water to travel that far up into your intake. I dont deny it happening or happening as often but i feel like your putting way to much into it being a CAI that helps cause this problem.

Although the SSRA is different from the FTRA, maybe you got a point there. Its a different setup compared to the FTRA but overall the same exact thing.

I dont really care though, im looking to ditch the puny ls1 for something bigger anyways. So if it hydrolocks or goes, im not to worried about it.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

It just makes me laugh when they say "if it starts to rain and your concerned you may suck up water,we gave you a block off plate" or "if hydrolock becomes a concern all you have to do is disconnect the lower scoop piece" Yeeeaaaaaa. Im gonna pull off the ****** highway when it starts to rain,crawl under my car, (which I would need ramps to get under anyway) pull out my 10mm wrench out of my ***,and disconnect the ****** thing. Total nonsense for a street/strip car. Seriously not realistic