Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JET-HOT not honoring warranty JET HOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

deny you ever raced with that part on your car. let them prove you did. im betting they wont and cant.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I didnt say they could change it,.. I said they could set it...and that they most likely have a large legal document that they keep on file that defines every little detail...including what they consider to be the section I highlighted.
just because they only send a simple sheet of paper out in the email with their product does not mean that it is the actual warranty documentation in full.

example being.. I make a product.. and I sell it..I can set the terms under which I will warrant the repair or replacement of the item, and conversely the terms that I will deny warranty repair or replacement of an item.
simple example... If my product should be Damaged by combustible processes(Fire) then I wont repair or replace the product under warranty.
I can set that and I can deny warranty for that..

I am not taking their side... I think it sucks, but I do believe in being fair, and if their warranty documentation shows that the OP did anything that would be considered a void to that warranty, then they dont have to do a thing.
if they classify a trip down the drag strip as racing, then they can void his warranty for it.
the truth is that the company can determine what they will repair under warranty or not.
it does not mean that you cant challenge it and take them to court over if you desire... you can always try to go over their heads with the help of legal methods...its probably not worth it in this case as it would most likely cost you way more for a lawyer to deal with this than just buying different headers.
You pretty much said it all. You sell the product, you SET the terms of the warranty.

The thing is, you must do this at the time of the sale, and the terms must be specific. They can't be articulated in some master document kept in a central location. They must be explicitly provided to the consumer, with all details, at the time of purchase. If there is any ambiguity whatsover in any stipulation, Magnuson-Moss requires that the stipulation be construed in favor of the consumer. Also, as I said before, burden of proof lies with the guarantor to show explicit violation of specific conditions, or unreasonable abuse.

Without question, the racing/competition clause is simply too ambiguous. They may as well have left it out. (Besides, they'd have to prove that he raced it AND prove that it caused the damage)

If you research Magnuson-Moss online or at a law library, you'll see what I'm saying. As far as federal statutes go, it's one of the easiest to read that I've seen.

It makes it VERY difficult for manufacturers to deny expressed warranty coverage.

You are probably right that the expense/time/asspain of suing would exceed the cost of a new Y-pipe, but it's important that people like us, who buy cars, and all this stuff for our cars, understand our rights when someone sells us crap, with a bullshit guarantee, and tries to weasel out of it. If people simply valued their reputations, it wouldn't be necessary but it seems that's becoming rare...

Last edited by nmbr5ml; 10-12-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically you got screwed OP, maybe you can take it to court and fight that they give more details in the "Simple" (Until you check their website) warranty, or just remove the useless "Simple" warranty all together. Good Luck
Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by soundengineer
if you went to the track once, or ever roll raced another vehicle, or even put your car on the dyno....
its voided

http://www.jet-hot.com.au/guarantee_memo.htm

JET-HOT Guarantee will not apply if there is obvious physical abuse of the coating, modification, welding of the components or when used for competitive racing of Motor Vehicles such as cars, motorcycles and boats, but not limited to these descriptions.
and you have track times....so that voids your warranty..

That link is in Australia? My paperwork didn't say anything like that...
Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
y2kmaroonz,

Based on the most recent post, I obviously don't have all the facts, but based on the information you've provided thus far, you are entitled to the corrosion warranty mentioned. It's simply a matter of how much it's worth to you to pursue it. If the company is going belly up, you may be wasting your time, but if you took them to court, the manufacturer would be required to prove that you, through unreasonable abuse or violation of unambiguous conditions set at time of purchase, caused the damage.

That's just what I know on the subject. Not legal advice, but hopefully helpful.
Yes its all helpful I appreciate all the info thus far.

And yes the rest of the story is that Jet-Hot did "repair" these headers back in 2007. I didn't have any trouble getting them "fixed" back in 2007, but it didn't last. The original purchase date was 2002. I think they welded them up and recoated? They rusted in half 2 years later in the fall of 2009. They didn't give me any paper work when they fixed them in 2007.

On another note it was mentioned by the person at jet hot that I didn't take care of the headers. One of the rudest things anyone has said to me over the phone, like they know how you take care of your car... So you tell me what you think I got my car brand new in 2000 and I'm still driving it every day the same 65 mile round trip to work and back... It has 208,000 miles on stock internals... I went on my honeymoon in this car, I brought home my one and only daughter in this car, my daughter went to her 1st day of school in this car, you think I don't take care of my car?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by y2kmaroonz
Pictures speak for themselves. Driver side rusted thru in front of the clamp area and the pass side rusted thru behind the clamp area. I am being told over the phone that they will not fix? One of the reasons I bought jet hot was the warranty... Tried emailing a few people at jet hot but I think they are ignoring me?

Any advice?
I am going through my emails now and have not seen anything yet although have not finished my search. I have been out of the office for some time and just getting involved in this issue. I am truly sorry that you are having and seeing rust on your parts at this point.

Just looking into this and reading through what has been said as well looking at the pictures, first and for most I would have to assume that NO maintenance was ever done on these headers. I might be assuming wrong, but with that said if the proper maintenance was completed during the use of these then we would not be to the point that these headers are (Seeing you would have noticed the surface rust during the maintenance of the parts and removed them for a warranty rework). Looking at the notes and details of the prior replacement it is noted that this was covered with you at that time not to mention the warranty and maintenance paperwork is always shipped with the parts. Now with all of that said, the first time the replacement was conducted A: we were under different ownership than we are now, and B: the warranty only covers the coating NOT the part itself. We as a company made the decision to replace the parts and then complete the warranty rework on the coating. Seeing this has happened a second go around (and looking at the parts) we can again only assume that the paperwork sent with the ORIGINAL parts, the verbal direction on maintenance, and the paperwork sent with the second set of parts was ignored or not followed.

The warranty covers the coating itself, if the user opts to not follow our guidelines of maintenance on the part and allows it to rust through, as yours appear to be, then we are at a cross road. We WILL cover the warranty on the coating regardless under the warranty guidelines. However we will NOT replace parts that were allowed to rust through, as if the proper maintenance was conducted then we would not have had parts rusted through as they are now.

Off of subject per say and to explain in another manor…. I purchased a new car with a “Bumper to Bumper” warranty. If I don’t change the oil in my car and allow the motor to blow is it covered under warranty?

In closing… We are under new ownership and have been for many years. New ownership brings new warranties, policies, and procedures. Even so the last line of the warranty that you posted states it all…

***Important: Read and follow the enclosed instructions for best results! Failure to do so will void this warranty!***
Old 10-13-2010, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

Yes its all helpful I appreciate all the info thus far.

And yes the rest of the story is that Jet-Hot did "repair" these headers back in 2007. I didn't have any trouble getting them "fixed" back in 2007, but it didn't last. The original purchase date was 2002. I think they welded them up and recoated? They rusted in half 2 years later in the fall of 2009. They didn't give me any paper work when they fixed them in 2007.

On another note it was mentioned by the person at jet hot that I didn't take care of the headers. One of the rudest things anyone has said to me over the phone, like they know how you take care of your car... So you tell me what you think I got my car brand new in 2000 and I'm still driving it every day the same 65 mile round trip to work and back... It has 208,000 miles on stock internals... I went on my honeymoon in this car, I brought home my one and only daughter in this car, my daughter went to her 1st day of school in this car, you think I don't take care of my car?

It is not that you do not take care of the care nor should it have been implied in that manor. If it was I am sorry that was implied. I missed this post during the writing of my first post on your issue..
Old 10-13-2010, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

My old friend mumbles.... Always glad to see you and always glad to see your input either good or bad! Although I must say we STRONGLY disagree with your "Long story short, JET HOT is on a down hill slide." comment....

Originally Posted by Mumbles
John...

You should explain to everyone as you did in the PM you sent me, that JET HOT has already fixed these headers once under warranty.

If this is case, why would the warranty suddenly be voided the second time around?

I generally agree with what you're saying about warranties on performance parts, but a business is still responsible, and should be held responsible, for the type of product is produces. Despite any warranty, disclaimer, or any other legal BS, they should have a little pride in the what they're bringing to the market and be willing to stand behind it when something goes wrong.

In this situation, I believe jimmyblue hit the nail on the head in his first post.

Long story short, JET HOT is on a down hill slide.

Agreed.

That will most definitely be the route I take on my next set of LTs.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JET-HOT
warranty only covers the coating NOT the part itself.
JET HOT,

Have you actually read the guarantee provided with the part? The OP posted it on the first page. It states pretty clearly that you will repair AND recoat a part that rusts through.

If your position is that, due to the ownership change, you are not liable for the written guarantee, there are too many variables for me to address the validity and you could be correct.

If you really believe the statements in the remainder of your post, I recommend you spend a few hundred dollars to consult with an attorney and rewrite your written guarantee/warranty with their guidance. The law is heavily slanted in favor of consumers when it comes to expressed warranties.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Launching!

JET-HOT

What I wanted was my stuff fixed correctly/replaced if needed. You know my pass side header looks really good and its becoming more apparent to me that if the coat fails like it did on the drivers side you don't have very long to get it recoated? Does the jethot process do something that would let the steel rust at an accelerated rate??? The steel under the coating must fail very quickly after the coating starts to pit or whatever?

I did not recieve any paper work when the headers were redone in 2007, not one piece. I did get a thank you card with a jethot membership in the postal mail.

Did you replace the parts in 2007? Or did you weld and recoat?

Sorry to hear your under new ownership...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JET-HOT
My old friend mumbles.... Always glad to see you and always glad to see your input either good or bad! Although I must say we STRONGLY disagree with your "Long story short, JET HOT is on a down hill slide." comment....
The outcome of this current situation could dictate who is right or wrong.

I'm pulling for you JET HOT.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned

I wouldn't really complain about getting almost 10 yrs. out of those headers. Headers that I might add look pretty inexpensive and have already been repaired once.

Just get over it and ditch them for some stainless headers. It's time to upgrade. Not really worth any more of your time to fight over some rusted and clapped out headers.

Besides it states in the warranty that the part needs to completely rust through as in leave a hole. You don't appear to have that problem. It's just a little surface rust, big deal.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I had the same problem years ago with my Mustang and Supra(had tons of stuff done-3 years later terrible). I will never ever have headers/anything exhaust coated by them-go stainless and forget about it
Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joblo1978
I wouldn't really complain about getting almost 10 yrs. out of those headers. Headers that I might add look pretty inexpensive and have already been repaired once.

Just get over it and ditch them for some stainless headers. It's time to upgrade. Not really worth any more of your time to fight over some rusted and clapped out headers.

Besides it states in the warranty that the part needs to completely rust through as in leave a hole. You don't appear to have that problem. It's just a little surface rust, big deal.
5 years the 1st time
2 years the 2nd time

$800 for the parts plus labor 2 times is not inexpensive

Not surface rust the pipe rusted in half and fell apart. And its not a fight just putting the facts out here. I see lifetime of my car being as long as I own it and its going down the road. The car is doing that but not with jethot...
Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Every set of Jet-Hot coated headers I have ever had ( 3 sets) started to rust and flake in less than a year. It would be a giant pain in the *** to remove, ship, wait for re-coating, and reinstall the headers every 12 months. Not to mention the cost if you don't install the parts yourself. That's why I never used the warranty and stopped buying the product. Good luck,

Larry
Old 10-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Banned

5 years the 1st time
2 years the 2nd time

$800 for the parts plus labor 2 times is not inexpensive

Not surface rust the pipe rusted in half and fell apart. And its not a fight just putting the facts out here. I see lifetime of my car being as long as I own it and its going down the road. The car is doing that but not with jethot...

Sorry, I didn't see them rusted in half from the size of the expanded thumbnail. You shouldn't factor the arm and a leg you spent on labor into the overall quality you purchased. Those headers themselves are pretty cheap. You could have gotten some Kooks and installed them yourself for around 800 bucks and they wouldn't be falling apart.

Buy stainless and be done with it.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

To the OP, I am sorry to see your issues with Jet-Hot, It is sad to see how they are handling this, I am very interested in what they claim you need to do as "Maintenance", as I am a Porsche tech at a dealer and I would never think there would be maintenance on the exhaust finish.

On a slightly brighter note I actually came on here tonight to research coating options and had been planning to contact Jet-Hot, as they are only about an hour from me in Greensboro, but after seeing this I will be finding another option. I hope it works out for you.

Mark
Old 10-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Marky522
To the OP, I am sorry to see your issues with Jet-Hot, It is sad to see how they are handling this, I am very interested in what they claim you need to do as "Maintenance", as I am a Porsche tech at a dealer and I would never think there would be maintenance on the exhaust finish.

On a slightly brighter note I actually came on here tonight to research coating options and had been planning to contact Jet-Hot, as they are only about an hour from me in Greensboro, but after seeing this I will be finding another option. I hope it works out for you.

Mark
Hi Mark maybe JET-HOT can post a link on the jethot website where it tells about the maintenance that needs to be done?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
Every set of Jet-Hot coated headers I have ever had ( 3 sets) started to rust and flake in less than a year. It would be a giant pain in the *** to remove, ship, wait for re-coating, and reinstall the headers every 12 months. Not to mention the cost if you don't install the parts yourself. That's why I never used the warranty and stopped buying the product. Good luck,

Larry

My experience falls in line with Larry's. I just purchased a beautiful 1998 Camaro Z28, formerly a New Mexico car originally. Anyways, when taking the car to my exhaust shop to have the true duals replaced for a regular cat-back, my exhauist guy asked what kind of nast headers were on the car. I replied that the previous owner stated Jet-Hot, and the exhaust guy agrred, and informed me that he no longer sells them to anyone. From the top, my headers look decent, but from the bottom, they look like painted headers that are rusting all to hell. The ceramic(term used loosely) on the headers is flaking off very easily, and looks like hell. Now this car was not and is not driven in winter, and rarely sees rain, and is very evident by the condition of the underside of the car.

My choice is to either wait till these rust through....and they will, or just buy a set of stainless headers now and swap them out.....I'm leading towards some ebay stainless headers, as the exhaust guy offered to do the swap for me free of charge if i let him keep the headers to display in the showroom as a sales deterent to those interested in Jet-Hot products....guess what i'll be doing........

I have no personal problem with Jet Hot or anyone there, but after reading all the problems on various forums with quality and customer service issues, i know where my money won't be going. A company is truly tested not only by how good there product is, but how they handle things when a bad product is found to be there fault.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

and this is why i don't live in an area that gets too cold and moist . . . good luck with your headers

Quick Reply: JET-HOT not honoring warranty JET HOT