Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JET-HOT not honoring warranty JET HOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
JET HOT,

Have you actually read the guarantee provided with the part? The OP posted it on the first page. It states pretty clearly that you will repair AND recoat a part that rusts through.

If your position is that, due to the ownership change, you are not liable for the written guarantee, there are too many variables for me to address the validity and you could be correct.

If you really believe the statements in the remainder of your post, I recommend you spend a few hundred dollars to consult with an attorney and rewrite your written guarantee/warranty with their guidance. The law is heavily slanted in favor of consumers when it comes to expressed warranties.
I have read it yes, and as stated the warranty he is posting is well over 10yrs old and provided under a different company. With that said though we have and will continue to do our best in honoring past warranties. Even still it is CLEARLY stated at the bottom portion of the warranty that failure to properly follow the written direction will VOID the warranty.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by y2kmaroonz
JET-HOT

What I wanted was my stuff fixed correctly/replaced if needed. You know my pass side header looks really good and its becoming more apparent to me that if the coat fails like it did on the drivers side you don't have very long to get it recoated? Does the jethot process do something that would let the steel rust at an accelerated rate??? The steel under the coating must fail very quickly after the coating starts to pit or whatever?

I did not recieve any paper work when the headers were redone in 2007, not one piece. I did get a thank you card with a jethot membership in the postal mail.

Did you replace the parts in 2007? Or did you weld and recoat?

Sorry to hear your under new ownership...
I understand what you are asking and looking to receive as well that you feel wronged. It is not that you have very little time to get it recoated no, but we would recommend as soon as possible yes. This will stop ANY potential of the any corrosion rusting through the coating. That is what the comment says in the warranty. I think the verbiage is being misunderstood SEVERELY on the “rust through”. Mild steel is bound to rust sooner or later. We have numbers of our customers that have followed the maintenance have seen well over 20yrs with perfect coating both daily drivers and show master pieces. ANY coating HAS to be maintained or it is bound to have the exact issues you are seeing now! What has happened to your headers at this point does not happen overnight, it is SO rare that I have EVER seen the coating 100% gone from an area I cannot tell you the last time I have. No it does not do anything to excel the corrosion process; the coating is a metallic ceramic mixture. Ceramic is unable to rust although metallic is. The metallic in the coating is what gives you the shine in any coating. If you fail to maintain the headers the metallic will begin to surface rust, you have a number of options you can take once this happens. If you fail to do anything once the surface rust has appeared then it will continue to eat away at the metallic then allowing the ceramic to remove itself leaving the subsurface unprotected. From that point it is going to rust as it normally would. As for the paperwork, normally the warranty and “how to care for your product” pages are stapled (seeing we are talking back then) with a few other recommendations on how to install without scuffing the coating and so on. I really cannot say either way if you did or did not but can guaranty at one time you did either on the original purchase and/or when the parts were replaced. I show extensive notes in your file of them explaining to you the parts would be replaced that ONE time and how to go forward making sure they did not get to that extent again although would still stand behind the coating itself if it began to surface rust or rust through seeing the proper care was taken. The parts were replaced NEW and coated fresh prior to sending them out to you.

We are and have been VERY excited about the new ownership. It will and has brought many changes and has taken a good amount of time to get (even though still not completely) settled in. The best is still to come‼

I am working to find a good middle ground on your issue. I make no promises at this time and only ask that you understand I can only go on what I have in our system and your word.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the thread guys! I now know not to use Jet-Coat.

Since it has actual statements from Jet-Coat, this probably needs to be a sticky so that others can get a fair and balanced opinion on using Jet-Coat.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JET-HOT
I show extensive notes in your file of them explaining to you the parts would be replaced that ONE time The parts were replaced NEW and coated fresh prior to sending them out to you.
Nobody told me it was a one time only deal in 2007? And these new headers rusted completly in half from 2007 to new years 2010? I have had uncoated headers that lasted longer than that...
Old 10-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Launching!

I have read it yes, and as stated the warranty he is posting is well over 10yrs old and provided under a different company.
Jet-hot: Its not a different company. I bought my parts from Jet Hot and my warranty says JET HOT , the website is www.jet-hot.com, your user name is JET-HOT. ITS NOT A DIFFERENT COMPANY ITS JET-HOT! If you want to go by ncoat or any other name thats fine with me but please represent your product and not act like its a thing of the past when you still use the name ect...
Old 10-20-2010, 07:13 AM
FormerVendor

Jet-hot: Its not a different company. I bought my parts from Jet Hot and my warranty says JET HOT , the website is www.jet-hot.com, your user name is JET-HOT. ITS NOT A DIFFERENT COMPANY ITS JET-HOT! If you want to go by ncoat or any other name thats fine with me but please represent your product and not act like its a thing of the past when you still use the name ect...
Jet-Hot is very much a new company, check court records and you will see Just because a name is still in use due to a brand or a web site is posted under the same name has no ground on a new or old company. If we would like to get technical on the issue Jet-Hot was NEVER a company name. It has and will always be a brand. MCCI was the original company nCoat, LLC is the present.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

jet hot IS garbage...My Grotts were coated in/out but they still rusted within 1 yr. Within 1 yr they had surface rust, and this car has never been in bad weather. My headers aren't SS but the coating should have prevented anything for at least 1 yr. I will never use Jet Hot again!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For those of us who do not know...what are we (the end user) suppose to do when we see the beginnings of rust coloration on our $900.00 headers plus another $450.00 for coating? Is there something we're suppose to clean them with, pay another $500.00 for re-coat? I wasn't told anything when I got my headers coated, believe me...for what i spent I would have followed the directions! When I got my GROTTS, he was the ONLY guy making long tube headers for LS1 F-bodies!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this entire thread with the unhappy customer (rightfully so!) and the explanations (excuses) from JET HOT (or whatever they call themselves) I would like to hear from some satisfied customers. The long winded explanation from JH was informative but did NOTHING to quell my intrepidation about purchasing this product. The JH guy might be excited with the future of this company but JH is also are writing his cheques so... I see future purchasers choosing alternative coatings or going to stainless steel headers with no coating, me included. Ceramic coatings seem to have some real advantages for exhaust systems but the warranty and cost of it is pushing me to a better header material from a reputable and recommended manufacturer (from this forum!). I wonder if anyone is going to recommend JH on this forum? I'm waiting... Until then, caveat emptor consumer! Red flags go up for me when I see responses like this to a past consumer from a company...
Old 10-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

While I cannot comment on Jet Hot's warranty process, I can say that almost every time I see flaking coating it is on a mild steel header, and it is almost always at the bottom of the header by the collector. All it takes is a good chip/road damage, or even a scratch/gouge on the slip fit collector (from slipping it togethor), and the rust can start. Once the rust starts it pops to coating off like paint coming off a wall. If you don't watch it, it will eventually rust through. Coating a mild steel is not like some vaccine againt rust...it is more like trying to put of the inevitable.

The funny thing is, the same coating on a stainless header will last years with no issues. We never have flaking complaints on the stainless headers we coat. That really leads me to believe that the issue is that the coating getting damaged/chipped up at some point giving rust a way in to start the flaking.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Jet-Hot is very much a new company, check court records and you will see Just because a name is still in use due to a brand or a web site is posted under the same name has no ground on a new or old company. If we would like to get technical on the issue Jet-Hot was NEVER a company name. It has and will always be a brand. MCCI was the original company nCoat, LLC is the present.
Technical or not most simple people like myself see it as an organization. Its the name you go by... GM may be owned by investors but if I have a problem with them I don't blame those investors I blame the name that those people stand behind.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99monguse
jet hot IS garbage...My Grotts were coated in/out but they still rusted within 1 yr. Within 1 yr they had surface rust, and this car has never been in bad weather. My headers aren't SS but the coating should have prevented anything for at least 1 yr. I will never use Jet Hot again!
Yea we didn't have many choices back then. I made a good choice in jethot back then and I took care of them and they did last 5 years the 1st time. Its just this last time they have really disappointed me only lasting half as long.

The jethot website has a test of a salt attack for over 5,000 hours. Is 2 1/2 Ohio winters worse than that? From December to March my car at the most was exposed to 80 hours of salt per year. Lets say it was 3 years that still only 240 hours of exposure? The numbers just don't add up to me on that one...

Jethot: How many times did you polish those headers during that 5,000 hour salt attack. Also why not post the care/polish instructions on your website?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
I can say that almost every time I see flaking coating it is on a mild steel header, and it is almost always at the bottom of the header by the collector. All it takes is a good chip/road damage, or even a scratch/gouge on the slip fit collector (from slipping it togethor), and the rust can start. Once the rust starts it pops to coating off like paint coming off a wall. If you don't watch it, it will eventually rust through.
I disagree. Coated steel headers rust at the collector because the primaries are so close together in that area that the coating cannot cover 100% of the steel. When theres bare steel, theres going to be rust.

The reason stainless steel doesn't rust is because it's stainless steel.

Take a real close look at any brand coated steel header, you will see bare spots in the collector area in the middle of the four primaries, and in between each primary.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
I disagree. Coated steel headers rust at the collector because the primaries are so close together in that area that the coating cannot cover 100% of the steel. When theres bare steel, theres going to be rust.

The reason stainless steel doesn't rust is because it's stainless steel.

Take a real close look at any brand coated steel header, you will see bare spots in the collector area in the middle of the four primaries, and in between each primary.
How well the part is prepped and coated will play a MAJOR factor in how long it will last.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

How well the part is prepped and coated will play a MAJOR factor in how long it will last.
I agree, but let me give another example. Take a coated steel header and never bolt it to an engine, put it out to get rained on for a year. Where's it rust first? At the collector.

The coating cannot get between four pipes that are touching each other, but water can. The rust process begins.

My point? Coating steel headers just does not work.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any new information to be told on this situation?

I'm very interested to see how this issue is handled, also, if, and how long it takes to get resolved.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Kevin told me he has a resolution to this issue but I was not been able to get him on the phone last week. Said he will be off next week and will return around the 9th. I guess I'll find out then...
Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well now I know anything Jet-Hot warantees, they will just get out of by changing their companies' name. Great buisness ethics, don't offer a warantee at all if you're not going to stick to it. Many people only purchased your product due to the warantee like the OP, if they knew it was 100% lies then they would have gotten ceramic or stainless...
Old 10-31-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

this is very good information, stay away from jet hot. I personally use kooks stainless steel headers, I will not be recommending them to anyone again. Now that I think of it, I had a set on my 85 c10 and they were rusted from the bottom and working their way up. Now I see why. Stainless ftw.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still wondering about the outcome of this situation?

Quick Reply: JET-HOT not honoring warranty JET HOT