Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for 2k, I would much rather do a cam set up, and have my local muffler shop fabricate a x-pipe and finish off the pipe with some LM2's, no cats. IMO, that's a hell of a exhaust setup. But ****, 2k for a full exhaust?!?!?!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
for 2k, I would much rather do a cam set up, and have my local muffler shop fabricate a x-pipe and finish off the pipe with some LM2's, no cats. IMO, that's a hell of a exhaust setup. But ****, 2k for a full exhaust?!?!?!
its more like $1436 at byunspeed for the catless kooks true duals
Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
its more like $1436 at byunspeed for the catless kooks true duals
Don't you need kooks LT's do finish it of?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
Don't you need kooks LT's do finish it of?
there are a few guys on here with the kooks duals who don't have the kooks LTs, they just modified it to fit their headers.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

I only paid $1900 shipped for mine pretty much got the headers free.

I agree, has anyone priced a 304 stainless y-pipe and a catback lately? YEAH! the price of a good y-pipe and cat-back is very close to the kooks true dual system. I think people forget the kooks duals go from the headers to the tips.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

I paid 1350 shipped for mine with cats and I will probly replace the cats with cutouts and run my electric dumps straight off the headers so anyone needing some high flow cats let me know these will be for sale soon.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

I do have 750 more in the kooks headers but I got a hundred back out of my old slp longtubes and once you sale what you had you really dont lose as much as you think its a nice tucked away setup for you guys that scrape in places Im sure you can appreciate a good true dual system that allows for more clearance its definately worth it I had the slp's and a spintech exhaust with side exits it was all oval stainless with a x pipe but it had clearance problems. Although mine is not totally on my car yet I really like the way its set up.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont see the need for cutouts with this system. I cant imagine you will pick up much power if any running cutouts, but I guess I could be wrong
Old 06-14-2011, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Not hating, it's a cool setup, and design. Looks good, bet it flows and sounds good. I just dont see spending so much on something like that when I can spend that much money on exhaust and have left over for other parts. Decent priced what sounds like some of you got it for. Those are some big tips on it, pretty cool. I guess it depends on what you want and like for looks and how fat your wallet is.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR
Not hating, it's a cool setup, and design. Looks good, bet it flows and sounds good. I just dont see spending so much on something like that when I can spend that much money on exhaust and have left over for other parts. Decent priced what sounds like some of you got it for. Those are some big tips on it, pretty cool. I guess it depends on what you want and like for looks and how fat your wallet is.
again, have you priced a decent y-pipe and catback? A y-pipe is in the $300-$400 range for a 304 stainless. And cat backs can range from $400-$1100+.
That's anywhere from $700-$1500+ for an y-pipe exhaust system. I just ordered my kooks true duals today and only paid $1350 shipped for them.
Some of us with larger cube engines can really loose power with the exhaust system necking down to a single 3" pipe.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of us with larger cube engines can really loose power with the exhaust system necking down to a single 3" pipe.

Hey, did you ever confirm if they will fit over our 9's? I imagine so, as you ordered it already. I anticipated having to tweak it a little.

Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR
Those are some big tips on it, pretty cool.
Ya think!?! I thought my Corsa's were big....you could put those INSIDE of these!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LPE 403

Hey, did you ever confirm if they will fit over our 9's? I imagine so, as you ordered it already. I anticipated having to tweak it a little.
No I didn't, there was only one way to find out though, we will see soon enough, if worst comes to worst some tweaking will be involved like you said.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No I didn't, there was only one way to find out though, we will see soon enough, if worst comes to worst some tweaking will be involved like you said.
Lol, that's the spirit!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

A y-pipe is in the $300-$400 range for a 304 stainless.
Incorrect, but they're not a sponsor so that's all I can say. And it's even 321 stainless.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I paid right around $1800 for my Kooks setup with LTs and a EGR block off plate from WS6store.

And I agree with TransWS6Am once you figure in the total cost of what goes into a ORY catback with an Ecutout the prices arent that far apart. And I dont think you piece together a Y setup to match the quality of the Kooks system. Its a shame that mine is hidden under my car cuz it looks as good as it sounds
Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ponyeater, I can't see your pics. How does this compare to a traditional set of duals when it comes to ground clearance? I got a 97 z28 with kooks stepped headers and want to do this so I can keep the cme.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LPE 403

Ya think!?! I thought my Corsa's were big....you could put those INSIDE of these!

The WS7 in the first post has a Dana 60, so i assume it should fit around your 9 inch with no prob
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dubyah-es-six
The WS7 in the first post has a Dana 60, so i assume it should fit around your 9 inch with no prob
It's a fabricated MWC 9" bud, the 3rd member housing is wider than a dana 60.

The s60 pictured below is narrowed, so pay attention to the distance from the 2 points with the arrows below, not the distance to the brake backing plates

It appears the MWC 9" 3rd member housing is slightly wider than an s60, i circled the area of concern for the exhaust clearing.

Last edited by TransWS6Am; 06-15-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

again, have you priced a decent y-pipe and catback? A y-pipe is in the $300-$400 range for a 304 stainless. And cat backs can range from $400-$1100+.
That's anywhere from $700-$1500+ for an y-pipe exhaust system. I just ordered my kooks true duals today and only paid $1350 shipped for them.
You would make a good salesman haha
I had to post to this because you keep comparing the price between the two BUT you aren't including all the pieces of the puzzle in the true dual price which is making it an unfair comparison. Let me fix this so that others can have the right numbers and make the choice for themselves, Im not trying to bash you or the kooks system in any way, I just want things to be cleared up for the techer's.

To run Kooks TD's:
Kooks TD system- 1500
Long Tubes, preferably stainless to match and Kooks brand for best fit- 900
Relocating bracket for panhard rod- 200
BMR driveshaft loop- 100

To run ORY setup:
Any brand LT's- 200-900
Any brand ORY (usually same brand as LT's for best fit)- 150-325
Any brand catback- 300-700
--Or-- stock catback if have SS/Ws6 as SLP dual/dual and LM1 flows great- FREE

I know the numbers aren't exact but again, depending on where you purchase and what brand, type of material you use, the price is going to change dramatically.
So with that said, you would have ROUGHLY $600-1000 left over, give or take. That could be used to buy a custom or off the shelf camshaft package from any sponsor on this site and would net you WAAAY more hp (anywhere from 50-100 depending on cam size, etc) than the extra few ponies of the true duals AND sound amazing...(we all know how damn good a cammed ls1 sounds with LT's). Just wanted to throw this out there. Kooks system looks very well thought out and Id love to have one on my fbody but no way would I pay that much when like most people said, you could have one made custom to fit your car in any size, any meterial and with any muffler you'd like for less. This would also eliminate the need for the relocating and d/s loop crap that is needed with kooks system.
Hope that helps to clear things up for those who are debating on which route to go.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
you could have one made custom to fit your car in any size, any meterial and with any muffler you'd like for less. This would also eliminate the need for the relocating and d/s loop crap that is needed with kooks system.
Hope that helps to clear things up for those who are debating on which route to go.
I see your in Michigan also, I'm in battle creek. Would you mind pointing me in the direction were i can get a 3" MANDREL BENT 304 stainless true dual custom made and installed. (obviously it will have to be installed if they are custom bending and fitting the pipe, which adds money)
I'm going to bet you can't point me in the right direction, because I called all over the southern part of the state and only found one place near grand rapids that would consider it, and all they do is order, and then cut/weld mandrel bends, they do not have a mandrel bender in shop. They quoted me well over $1500.
I even called some places in ohio, and only found one place, which was stainless works, but we won't even talk about what they quoted me at.
SURE there all kinds of places that can do regular old wrinkle bends, but what's the point of having dual 3" pipes if the neck down to 2" in many places?
And no matter what you will need the Upper panhard bar relocation for dual 3" pipes, I dont care how could the exhaust guy is. There isn't room, it's just that simple. Unless your in my situation and have a MWC watts link and MWC drive shaft saftey loop, which leaves way more room than even a upper panhard bar relocation would have.
And im not trying to sound arrogant or anything, but I don't need to save some money here or there to get more engine goodies, I'm not going to get any more power out of my 416 than i already have unless I go low compression pistons and forced induction, which isn't going to happen in the near future.
So i guess in my situation it was a no brainer, 3" duals were about the only place I was going to add power with my setup, and i had no need for the panhard bar relocation or driveshaft loop

I can see were a aluminized steel or even stainless 2.5" or 3" dual system with wrinkle bends would cost less but then you might as well stay with a y-pipe unless your just going for sound, because mandrel bends are $$$$$$$$

Quick Reply: Kooks released new exhaust for f-body